Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #81
oaties

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Whats wrong with the pickup rules? They create balance in a competitive setting.

Let me guess, you hate (or can't, they seem to by synonymous) bunny hopping?
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #82
Chickenprotector
Flamer of Worlds
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro (O)
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Oh hell no. Bunny hopping is built into the game.

I'm just sick and tired of panzies limiting what you can and can't do even when it's in the game to begin with.

Diablo II is an example (even if the damn thing is 10 years old). The PvP community likes to regulate what you can and can't do in a public game. Most of which involves removing most of the annoying factor from the duels. It just becomes repetitive and boring.

I obviously ignore said "rules" but do the math.

-- Common sense dictates no cheaters. (meaning hacks) That's the one thing I hate more than a bunch of whiners who don't like it when a boot is shoved in their ass. (most of the time hackers do fall in that group)

Besides FF is much better with bunny hopping in my opinion. It calibrates to make the game much faster.

Last edited by Chickenprotector; 04-12-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Chickenprotector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #83
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenprotector View Post
Oh hell no. Bunny hopping is built into the game.

I'm just sick and tired of panzies limiting what you can and can't do even when it's in the game to begin with.

Diablo II is an example (even if the damn thing is 10 years old). The PvP community likes to regulate what you can and can't do in a public game. Most of which involves removing most of the annoying factor from the duels. It just becomes repetitive and boring.

I obviously ignore said "rules" but do the math.

-- Common sense dictates no cheaters. (meaning hacks) That's the one thing I hate more than a bunch of whiners who don't like it when a boot is shoved in their ass. (most of the time hackers do fall in that group)

Besides FF is much better with bunny hopping in my opinion. It calibrates to make the game much faster.
You mean like people telling which classes are supposed to be offense or defense even if you just feel like playing as a medic wherever you want? Or if you want to play as a sniper, but every time you do someone starts telling you to stop?

If that's what you mean, then I completely agree. I think that people should be able to play however they want. The pick-up games are usually clan oriented and have these rules. I however, like to just log on, and blow stuff up for a few hours and then log off. I don't want to be told how to play when I already know how. I think that aspect has scared of a lot of players for sure. I've never felt like general, "fun" playing as been supported by the community. It has always been a very structed, rule based game.

TFC wasn't like that. You had a mix of pub players that could just have fun and pick-up style games that were more rigid. At least you had a choice. Unfortunately we seem to have gotten the smaller of the two crowds.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #84
Carrots

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
jack, you are a goddamn moron
User received an infraction for this post
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #85
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife View Post
You mean like people telling which classes are supposed to be offense or defense even if you just feel like playing as a medic wherever you want? Or if you want to play as a sniper, but every time you do someone starts telling you to stop?

If that's what you mean, then I completely agree. I think that people should be able to play however they want. The pick-up games are usually clan oriented and have these rules. I however, like to just log on, and blow stuff up for a few hours and then log off. I don't want to be told how to play when I already know how. I think that aspect has scared of a lot of players for sure. I've never felt like general, "fun" playing as been supported by the community. It has always been a very structed, rule based game.

TFC wasn't like that. You had a mix of pub players that could just have fun and pick-up style games that were more rigid. At least you had a choice. Unfortunately we seem to have gotten the smaller of the two crowds.
The better of the two crowds imo. Balance > Nonconstructive every time.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #86
Chickenprotector
Flamer of Worlds
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomoyaff View Post
The better of the two crowds imo. Balance > Nonconstructive every time.
Organized game > balance

That is how I see it. Not pure bread chaos. Just controlled chaos.

If I were to organize a game, I'd have people who'd know what they're doing on the class they play on. I.E. I play pyro about 95% of the time (people who play with me can attest to that) I'd also have two people who can get the flag behind me while I rip through the enemy defense. 'Corse I'd probably die, but the time bought may be enough to help my team get the objective.

The other 3 of my 6-man team would guard my flag.

With Friendly Fire on, you'd have to be a bit more discriminate when frying people obviously, but it's there.

This is what I mean by an "organized game." No rules, just respect eachother, no spawn spamming, that sort. Limiting the number of players on a specific class (meaning none at all) is just panzy behavior.

Limiting it so it isn't over used, I can agree with.

Edit: Moya, we're adults, I'd rather hear your opinion, so don't worry about offending me just post your thoughts.

Last edited by Chickenprotector; 04-12-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Chickenprotector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #87
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenprotector View Post
Organized game > balance

That is how I see it. Not pure bread chaos. Just controlled chaos.
But PURE DESTRUCTIVE CHAOS IS AMAZING!

Brb, taking over a small island and raping their women.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #88
Chickenprotector
Flamer of Worlds
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
But PURE DESTRUCTIVE CHAOS IS AMAZING!

Brb, taking over a small island and raping their women.
Go make maps you.

Brb, destroying the world.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #89
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaties View Post
Whats wrong with the pickup rules? They create balance in a competitive setting.

Let me guess, you hate (or can't, they seem to by synonymous) bunny hopping?
Not always... I can't bunny-hop worth a damn, but I don't hate it. I do think it's a little too fast, but the mechanic should be in the game.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #90
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
wonder how that happened...
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #91
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Not always... I can't bunny-hop worth a damn, but I don't hate it. I do think it's a little too fast, but the mechanic should be in the game.
How can you not bhop? D:

I can understand not being able to in TFC (I can't), but in FF all you need to do is hold down space and coordinate your mouse movements with presses of the strafe keys. It takes practice, but I don't recall having much difficulty picking it up.

The issue with bunnyhopping is that it confers too much of an advantage on those able to do it, resulting in frustration for new players who can't.

Last edited by episkopos; 04-14-2011 at 06:23 PM.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #92
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
Well atleast squeeks got some movement on 2.42 with it actually almost ready for beta testing.. which hopefully means it won't be all that long before we have training.

Iggy have you actually tried to use it to help you? Or is it that you just can't be bothered? Curious is all
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #93
spambot2.1

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
soldier and medic only fortress classic!

Last edited by spambot2.1; 04-14-2011 at 08:16 PM.
spambot2.1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #94
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Well atleast squeeks got some movement on 2.42 with it actually almost ready for beta testing.. which hopefully means it won't be all that long before we have training.

Iggy have you actually tried to use it to help you? Or is it that you just can't be bothered? Curious is all
No, not lazy... but my jump key is my mouse wheel(pressed as Mouse3). It's kinda difficult to hold that down without accidentally changing weapons(scroll), and use the other two buttons as well. It's not a problem with the game, it's more my configuration(which is set up the same as my other FPS games), as well as my need to keep using movement keys.

So, basicly, it's a problem with me... not the game. I've been able to do it(to a point), but my gameplay suffers because I have to concentrate on how it's done, as opposed to all the other movement stuff that is automatic(in my mind/hands).

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #95
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
No, not lazy... but my jump key is my mouse wheel(pressed as Mouse3). It's kinda difficult to hold that down without accidentally changing weapons(scroll), and use the other two buttons as well. It's not a problem with the game, it's more my configuration(which is set up the same as my other FPS games), as well as my need to keep using movement keys.

So, basicly, it's a problem with me... not the game. I've been able to do it(to a point), but my gameplay suffers because I have to concentrate on how it's done, as opposed to all the other movement stuff that is automatic(in my mind/hands).
Either unbind mwheelup and mwheeldown or change your jump button to space. There's no reason not to. If your gameplay suffers, change it :P
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #96
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

I've thought about doing that, but I play a bunch of FPS games... and any deviation in keyboard/mouse configs fucks me up on all of them.

I know, it's a lame excuse, but that's how it is.

I can live without bhop.... I'm not saying others shouldn't have it. I am only of the thought process that those who have/use it, shouldn't have such a huge advantage over those that don't. An advantage, yes... but not one that makes a player who doesn't/can't(like a new player) unable to counter it at all. I'm not saying it's the case.... just stating a point of view.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #97
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
Hah how weird. So why is your space button?
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #98
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Hey while we're on the topic, I've never been able to bunny hop properly, only do the increased speed boost you get from jumping repeatedly. I've seen instructions on it and they just never work for me period. It's ALWAYS faster for me to just jump repeatedly. The only way I've been able to pass trimp maps is from the occasionally speed boost you get from doing a sudden strafe jump. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with my key config, since I have jump as mouse 2 since I'm used to jumping like a bastard.

If anyone who's an expert at bunny hopping has time to kill, would you be interested in testing it out with mouse 2 as your jump key to see if it's something with that key config at all?
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #99
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know . To be honest it shouldn't make a difference at all since I know many pro gamers use M2 to jump (especially in quake).
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #100
carryonplease

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
the moment where I figured out bunnyhopping happened when I realized you have to start with a strafe jump, if you start it like that its way easier to get into the pattern/momentum
carryonplease is offline   Reply With Quote