Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the current Laser Grenade too strong?
Yes 20 51.28%
No 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #21
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
I'm sure the whole 8-12 people who do pickups can understand the frustration having a nade thrown on the flag has. I also believe 80% of them aren't as big of douchebags to do it because they don't want it done on themselves. Common courtesy? Who knows.

However, in a pub, it doesn't matter. You expect death in the gayest way possible... so it's just another annoyance.

Raynian is right... it needs a happy medium, but at the rate things are being implemented - I wouldn't look forward to it.

Hell I just want a pretty TFC... no extras.. and caltrops.
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Let's give every class caltrops, just for one patch.

It could be released on April 1st, but it would be the best patch EVER, and I bet servers would start using that patch as the default.

But honestly, yeah, nerf the laser gren back to somewhere reasonable, make the center a temporary platform, etc. Could be cool, I guess. You could even make it so the lasergren blocks people who run into the center, so you could throw it a bit higher, prevent them from jumping over it, making them have to crouch to get past.

And can we revert the rocket radius nerf, though? I felt it was completely unnecessary, since that wasn't that big an issue in fights, but it REALLY fucks with my mojo when rjumping. <3 etc
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie worororld.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Ragdoll
Blacknight's Test Guy
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scoot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [Brik], F-in-S, [HelpStar]
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I still don't understand why they took out nails. It's not like laser nades take any more skill to kill someone with or to lock down an area.
What, did the one percent of snipers who got killed by an errant nail from across the map while they weren't paying attention bitch about it or something?
Ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
You have a TF2 related avatar, you argument is invalid.

Uh no but seriously, if you read the 4th most recent Dev Journal you'd understand why. Here I'll even link it for you: http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=23093
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #27
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaties View Post
I thought that too. Too bad everyone posting in this thread is someone who never even goes for the flag and doesn't realise how game breaking a laser is when its thrown on top of the flag.
That sounds a lot like strategy to me. You could also time any grenade on there and bounce someone back. Or throw a mirv and kill most classes to hold them back. The new laser sounds like it either forces the offense to slow down and think before bum rushing the flag or get themselves killed. With scouts and medics that can conc jump in and out without being slow enough to shoot I think this adds a great strategy to slow them down.

The game changed, but it didn't break. You may not be used to the change. I completely understand how that can be freaking annoying. But it can't get better without changing and changes are going to mean that you have to play it differently.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #28
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife View Post
That sounds a lot like strategy to me. You could also time any grenade on there and bounce someone back. Or throw a mirv and kill most classes to hold them back. The new laser sounds like it either forces the offense to slow down and think before bum rushing the flag or get themselves killed. With scouts and medics that can conc jump in and out without being slow enough to shoot I think this adds a great strategy to slow them down.

The game changed, but it didn't break. You may not be used to the change. I completely understand how that can be freaking annoying. But it can't get better without changing and changes are going to mean that you have to play it differently.
Yeah, the difference between putting a mirv on the flag is that a mirv has one initial explosion, wait 2 seconds, another explosion. The laser lasts for like 6 seconds, where the entire time it instagibs.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #29
Raynian
D&A Member

You can brush my hair, undress me everywheeeerrreee
Also, what if the flag is right in front of a spawn point? With two soldiers constantly spamming it with lasergrens, then suiciding to get the grenades back, it's bullshit as hell.

(calling cake, dr. cake, calling dr. cake)
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves

Last edited by Raynian; 01-09-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #30
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
You can brush my hair, undress me everywheeeerrreee
Also, what if the flag is right in front of a spawn point? With two soldiers constantly spamming it with lasergrens, then suiciding to get the grenades back, it's bullshit as hell.

(calling cake, dr. cake, calling dr. cake)
Has that honestly ever happened? I've never been in a server where people suicide to do anything other than avoid getting killed by a burn.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Happens all the time in pickups
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Quote:
Has that honestly ever happened? I've never been in a server where people suicide to do anything other than avoid getting killed by a burn.
im pretty sure most people suicide all the time in ff + tfc, but just to resupply health really(i do atleast). but for nades thats pretty lame
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #33
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Here's the thing though. What about the strength of the laser grenade specifically makes people do that?

And again, I haven't seen an increase based on the laser grenade.

The reason I ask is because, quite frankly, people are going to spam things no matter what grenade they use. They spam with the frag grenade. They spam with the mirv. They will spam with any grenade they can get their hands on. People who spam don't spam because of the new laser grenade that just came out. They spam because that's how they play. You can change the power, you can remove it and add a new grenade. You can do whatever you want. But they are going to spam anyway.

Unless you want to remove grenades. Then they can no longer spam. But I think you would find yourself playing alone.

Last edited by BinaryLife; 01-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
I thought that too. Too bad everyone posting in this thread is someone who never even goes for the flag and doesn't realise how game breaking a laser is when its thrown on top of the flag.
You certainly haven't seen me play then because I like how strong the lasers are, I'm always going into the enemy base and I'm always going for the flag. I hardly ever play defense.

Course the main reason that was given to us for the removal of the nail grenades was silly as the laser grenades are a being spammed far more then the nail grenades ever were.

And at least the nail grenades were more effect. Take for example the ramp on Aardvark. The other night, I watched as 3 laser grenades at a time spun on the ramp to "block" the way. As a demo, I pipe jumped from my base to their base, went up the ramp, not being hit by even 1 laser. I didn't do this just once, or twice, but a whole bunch of times and only a couple of times was I actually hurt by the lasers and only at most twice I was killed, though it was usually because I hit someone while I was sliding up the ramp and then got hit by the lasers.

Did the nail grenades stop me before? Not all the time, but when I hit that ramp, I'm usually flying up it so fast that they don't do much damage to me. But the explosion at the end was usually the one that killed me.

So again I make these suggestions... lengthen the length of the lasers. Put a second set of 3 lasers spinning the opposite way. Make the laser grenade do something at the very end, a mini emp effect or something.

Upping the strength of them was a start, now they have to make them more effective and less of a need to spam.

They took away something that was effective for stopping/slowing down defenders and replaced it with something that has to be spammed to do somewhat of the same job.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #35
Raynian
D&A Member

Well, that's partially just because how laser grenades work on ramps. Increasing the length wouldn't do anything for how they interact on sloped surfaces, because the lasers are always either going into the wall or too high to reach anyone.

The problem with the lasergren is that it lasts so damn long. I think 6 seconds? If you spawn with 2 lasergrens, all you need to do is prime, throw, wait, prime, throw, respawn, then immediately prime on spawning and run back out to keep up the spam. With two soldiers, it's almost impossible to ever get the flag out against such a strategy. This problem largely exists simply because FF is faster than TFC. Defense can return to their positions much faster, and suiciding to resupply is often worth it. Sure, maps can be blamed for it, but overall it comes down to how easy it is to accumulate speed, keep that speed, and control that speed.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Quote:
Yeah, the difference between putting a mirv on the flag is that a mirv has one initial explosion, wait 2 seconds, another explosion. The laser lasts for like 6 seconds, where the entire time it instagibs.
This.

You guys need to relax. Do some drugs and watch this video.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
pounded 2 out
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #38
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cake View Post
This.

You guys need to relax. Do some drugs and watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g
You sir, are SICK.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #39
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
Ever take the flag lower on ff_monkey in a pickup? Where the respawn is RIGHT next to the flag? gg, wait for flag to return.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #40
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Good video. My brain danced like that the last time I did 2C-I.

Also, if anyone starts a FF league, I'll throw in some research chemicals for the top prize winners.

Hallucinogens, fuck yeah!
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote