Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I wasn't impressed by the RC I tested. Seriously, Windows, learn how to run old versions of your own programs on your own OS.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #182
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
I just bought my $30 upgrade to windows 7. Can't wait to install it.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 03:21 AM   #183
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I just bought my Linux distribution for $0.00, can't wait to not have to wait to install it and use it without wait.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #184
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Yeah, but then you get that whole: "I'm a smug dick who loves Linux" problem. Win-lose.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #185
Bridget
Banned

I love the fact that Linux actually works properly when I request it to do so.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #186
wakka

Class/Position: top
Gametype: pwning caroline in bed
I just installed windows7, just bought it out my local computer shop !

came home, stuck in the cd I chose "upgrade" (no format required)

took maybe 1.5hours ? my pc has all the programs it had, all the files etc but it's windows 7...

I am AMAZED, it was so easy. I have higher fps, better connection, everything is super smooth !
wakka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #187
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Is it really that good and worth it? I'm on vista now and am considering upgrading but idk if the cost is gonna be worth the change.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #188
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka View Post
I just installed windows7, just bought it out my local computer shop !

came home, stuck in the cd I chose "upgrade" (no format required)

took maybe 1.5hours ? my pc has all the programs it had, all the files etc but it's windows 7...

I am AMAZED, it was so easy. I have higher fps, better connection, everything is super smooth !
Exactly what I did. The only things I don't like is that on the task bar the windows get a bit too bright when you have that window open. Also that the performance of gaming went down a little bit but I'm guessing that's just because I still have vista gfx drivers.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #189
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I love the fact that Linux actually works properly when I request it to do so.
I guess you can play ff again?
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #190
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan View Post
Is it really that good and worth it? I'm on vista now and am considering upgrading but idk if the cost is gonna be worth the change.
I owe no allegence to any OS. I use them all depending on what I am doing. And I cannot wait to get my hands on an Android phone and I am a Palm/Windows Mobile user.

Windows 7 is so much better than Vista. Hands down. It's like Millenium (me) vs. XP in my opinion. I have run 7 through some very tough situations and it is epic win. I do get a tiny bit less fps in win7 vs xp for Fortress-Forever however.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #191
Bridget
Banned

The thing I find most comical is that the majority of people today who compare operating systems do it based on trivial shit like how good it looks. Windows 7 is nothing but Vista packaged with a different graphical user interface. Enjoy your hundred dollar plus desktop theme. Name one thing Win7 has that Vista doesn't, in which there is a drastic addition or change that actually benefits you other than 'it looks purdy and does this little preview thinger when I mouse over mah windows" which has been in Linux for the past 9,000 years.

When does Microsoft plan on adding Workspaces? When does Microsoft plan on adding optional 'packages' that can be manually installed via the user's request through a command line a la Aptitude? When does Microsoft plan on fixing its memory hog problems? When does Microsoft plan on fixing the massive security issues? I feel like a thirteen year old boy in a Catholic church when I browse the web on Vista, because I realize how fragile it is. I feel like a motherfuckin' messiah browsing the net on Linux because it was written by the people who rape your internet on Windoze.

Win7 is nothing but a money grab, well then again, so is every other fucking operating system put out by Microshit. I paid $250.00 for an operating system that doesn't work the way I want it to, has experienced well over thousands of errors and crashes since I bought it a mere year ago, and at the time offered no benefit other than DirectX10 support. Microsoft loves tossing a new OS out to distract you from the fact that they failed it hardcore with the previous.

In Linux, there are updates to the OS every fucking day. It is bettered every day, where as Microsoft releases an ENTIRELY NEW OS every fucking three or four years instead of fixing previous problems on the OS in particular, and brand it with a nice hefty price tag. Windows is still fixing problems with Windows 98, for fuck sakes. LMFAO. Their Windows Update was a massive failure, and just added more problems. They have no incentive to fix their non-operating systems because there is no competition in the market, and people unknowing of the alternatives buy it because they have no real choice. Why do you think Gates is so rich?

Last edited by Bridget; 10-23-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #192
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
The thing I find most comical is that the majority of people today who compare operating systems do it based on trivial shit like how good it looks. Windows 7 is nothing but Vista packaged with a different graphical user interface. Enjoy your hundred dollar plus desktop theme. Name one thing Win7 has that Vista doesn't, in which there is a drastic addition or change that actually benefits you other than 'it looks purdy and does this little preview thinger when I mouse over mah windows" which has been in Linux for the past 9,000 years.
While the main visible changes to Win7 are GUI/UI, there are also lots of changes under the hood. Things are also more intuitive and natural. Where Vista felt like XP with a half-finished skin, Win7 feels like a new and improved OS. A lot of the UI changes makes managing windows and other things very very easy.
Quote:
When does Microsoft plan on adding Workspaces?
There are 3rd party programs that do that but most people don't need that anyways... nor do most people care.
Quote:
When does Microsoft plan on adding optional 'packages' that can be manually installed via the user's request through a command line a la Aptitude?
You really think Window Users need a CLI tool to install programs? However, there is yet another 3rd part program that does that. (I've used appsnap)
Quote:
When does Microsoft plan on fixing its memory hog problems? When does Microsoft plan on fixing the massive security issues? I feel like a thirteen year old boy in a Catholic church when I browse the web on Vista, because I realize how fragile it is. I feel like a motherfuckin' messiah browsing the net on Linux because it was written by the people who rape your internet on Windoze.
You remind me of how 12 year old browses the internet...
Quote:
Win7 is nothing but a money grab, well then again, so is every other fucking operating system put out by Microshit. I paid $250.00 for an operating system that doesn't work the way I want it to, has experienced well over thousands of errors and crashes since I bought it a mere year ago, and at the time offered no benefit other than DirectX10 support. Microsoft loves tossing a new OS out to distract you from the fact that they failed it hardcore with the previous.
Good job on the Windows/Microsoft hating. I'm glad you know so much about Windows 7. Maybe you shoudl do somethign we call READ. Or since you are so cool, try the Win7 RC.
Quote:
In Linux, there are updates to the OS every fucking day. It is bettered every day, where as Microsoft releases an ENTIRELY NEW OS every fucking three or four years instead of fixing previous problems on the OS in particular, and brand it with a nice hefty price tag.
Most people consider updates every day a BAD thing. Nothing should requite daily updates. EVER.
Quote:
Windows is still fixing problems with Windows 98, for fuck sakes. LMFAO.
What are you talking about? Windows 98 support ended on July 11th, 2006. Yes, some bug were carried over to XP and eventually found. However, there have been bugs in Linux that have taken 20 years to find and fix.
Quote:
Their Windows Update was a massive failure, and just added more problems.
... What?
Quote:
They have no incentive to fix their non-operating systems because there is no competition in the market...
Microsoft made HUGE fixes to windows mainly BECAUSE of the competitive market with Apple.
Quote:
...and people unknowing of the alternatives buy it because they have no real choice.
First off, as much as I hate Apple, they are an alternative and have had HUGE sales. Also, what other alternatives are you talking about? Do you really think that Linux should take over the desktop? Most importantly: Do you think it's ready to be deployed for your average user?
Quote:
Why do you think Gates is so rich?
Probably has something to do with revolutionizing computing and makes computers what they are today.

Last edited by Mooga; 10-23-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #193
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Oh lord, someone uses linux for a few months and they start to sound like TF2 guys coming on to bash FF playa's and spouting linux forum snippit nonsense.

Worspace does pwn but like mooga said there have always been programs for free you can use even before linux was born back in the dos days.

Last edited by stray kitten; 10-23-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #194
Bridget
Banned

I don't need years of expertise to see that Linux shits on Windows, like I don't need a degree in forensics to tell the difference between a steamy pile of dog shit and a hunk of pure gold.
  1. Point Proven.
  2. Most people suck.
  3. I meant for Windows Update. Spare me the shitty lag-fest of a GUI based program with 30kb/s download speeds. Even for third party, though, takes two hours to install Apache on Windows, takes me 5 seconds on Linux. Lolwut?
  4. U MAD?
  5. U MAD?
  6. Most people are fucking stupid. Who wouldn't want regular updates of new content, programs and applications, security fixes, and so forth? Only failures.
  7. Support ended, but it's still being fixed. Think about it.
  8. Google it. Driver problems.
  9. Yes. Linux should take over the desktop. It's simple as fuck, at-least user friendly distros like Ubuntu are. It's more intuitive than Windows when it comes to basic use, it's faster, more reliable, stable, and secure. It just lacks gaming support.
  10. Apple is no concern of Microsoft's.
  11. Microsoft revolutionized personal use of computers, not computers themselves.
  12. @Stray: DOS? 1980's. UNIX? Late 60's. LOLWUT.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #195
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
lolwut @ bridget
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #196
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Quote:
@Stray: DOS? 1980's. UNIX? Late 60's. LOLWUT.
Linux Kernal version .01 = 1991

And technically UniX = 1971

Unix didn't do shit until the 80s anyway. Was shit before Berkly took over the project.

I pwn linux foo. You preachin to congregation. I know it more than windows which is how I can detect-o-matic nubbins.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #197
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Stupid people is a problem across all OS's.

Linux isn't exactly user friendly. People are having enough problems with windows.

Microsoft has new patches every Tuesday as well.

Last edited by Pixel; 10-24-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #198
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Stupid people is a problem across all OS's.
THIS!!

Ok.... I haven't been following all this Win7 stuff.... although I did DL the beta, I never installed it because I didn't have the free time to fuck with it. Oh well.

I am no M$ fanboy, it is what it is. It's a half-assed product and always has been. The problem is, the American market allowed itself to be dominated by it... and it spread to the rest of the world. There is little chance another OS is going to come in and take over, since it would:
  1. Have to be 100% compatible with all known software for Windows
  2. Be cheap enough to warrent end users to pay for it
  3. Be easy enough for even the dumbest dipshit to install it
  4. Be really pretty to entice women to install it
  5. Be manly enough so that men won't feel silly for #4
  6. Magically appear on peoples computers with no prompting because of #2 and #3.

That said, I ordered Win7 last night. Now I need to make space for it. Windows was always a resource hog. This is one reason I used an Amiga computer until it became unrealistic to do so. My inner nerd gets a boner when I think of my current system with an Amiga OS on it. (someone should SIG that....)

Anyhow, I've heard lots of good things about Win7 from end users.... those who's opinion matters more than the BS rag-sheets that try to sell you everything in creation. For the first time I can remember, I'm going to upgrade the OS in my computer. I usually wait, and end up with a new system. I ordered it from HSN(the only credit card I have that isn't maxed out).... and the time it'll take to get here will give me time to prep my system for the change.

I hope BJs has spindles of DVDs...... 1/2 tb of HD space is going to take some time to back-up.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #199
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

Affiliations: Wazzazzaza
Win7 is great BUT... It's impossible to turn the mouseacceleration all the way down, at least it has been for me and ive tried like 4 regfixes by now (none for win7 of course...). It's pretty annoying if ur used with 0.

If any1 knows how to turn that shit all the way down, please let me know.

Last edited by Mikael_hs; 10-25-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Mikael_hs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 AM   #200
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
What type of mouse are you using? Their party drivers might work.

Also Bridget, you are a Linux fanboy. I hate Linux fanboys because they have no understanding of Linux. They all scream "LINUX! LINUX! GNU! GNU! WINDOWS IS EVIL! WINDOWS IS EVIL!" But they are also all running all different levels of software so they can smoothly network and interact with windows computers and networks.

This isn't a Win vs *nix thread, so I wont start on all my *nix software issues.

Also, you lost your argument the MOMENT you tried to seriusly say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget
Yes. Linux should take over the desktop.
Ready guys? This is the fun part... again:
Quote:
It's simple as fuck, at-least user friendly distros like Ubuntu are.
Really? Driver issues are a bitch. If you plan on using a wireless network card, you better pray it's intel. Getting flash to work isn't quire "user friendly." Having to mess with APT isn't nesisarly "easier." While having a one-touch area for lots of software is great, installing software not on this list is PAINFUL. Not to mention DVD suport and other format issues.
Quote:
It's more intuitive than Windows when it comes to basic use
What's more intuitive. If anything, for basic use, Ubuntu pulled the same "start menu" that Windows has.
Quote:
...it's faster, more reliable, stable, and secure.
Yes, that is true. However security is a funny thing. There are holes in Linux. If you think it's some bullet proof vest, think again.
Quote:
It just lacks gaming support.
It lacks support in general... Gaming is the least of its problems.