Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #61
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
Yeah, bet he ate the snake too.
Dove hunting and that snake video are equal to each other!

High five!

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #62
Atari

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
......In what way?....
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #63
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
......In what way?....
Excuse me, that would be my line.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #64
Atari

.................righto.
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #65
Gigiya

Quote:
Yeah, bet he ate the snake too.
What's wrong with eating snakes?
Gigiya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #66
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
Yea it looks that way.

I really figured there would be a few hunters in here, guess I was wrong.

From what I see, a lot of people see most hunting as a canned hunt? Wonder why all hunting is grouped into canned enclosers? The lease I am part of, we have about 25,000 of non fenced, land to hunt on. My families part is about 500 acres. The animals are free ranging, they can go anywhere and do anything. So I wonder why some people put this type of hunting in the same group as canned hunts?

It amazes me how many people are against hunting, and still eat meat. Someone has to kill that cow or pig. I wonder if those people are heckled like hunters are? What about butchers, are they a second class citizens because they process the meat?

So, hunting should be outlawed, but we still want our steaks and hamburger? That is a double standard.

Well I fish a lot, that's not exactly the same thing, but I go out into the ocean kill fish and eat it. I'm not around anyone who really has a problem with it. Except my sister, she's a vegan and naturally hates the idea of what we do. But she's accepting with it. I suprisingly have respect for her that way.

My thoughts though, are than people who like steak don't want to meet the cow. If they look at a cheesburger they can avoid identifying with it. It's and inanimate object. The fact that it was at one point very animate, and very alive is negligable because they don't have to see it. They, themselves didn't shoot it, so it's ok. They aren't evil.

Of corse, the real world doesn't work that way. If you rob a dead body, you're profiting of the murder. Same things goes for animals. Only difference is, hunters and fisherman aren't stealing the tuna's wallet, we're eating it, and feeding the remains back to the ocean for birds, and other fish. People think that the animals don't stand a chance, but they really do. I mean, some hunters go overboard with 50 cal, high scope rifles that can blow the ass off a deer at 200 yards.. I think that's a little extreme. But either way I'm not going to bitch about it.

The fact is, an animal can run away, a fish can escape. And both and hurt you in the process. Barring that, there's still the fact that these animals are prey in nature. They are hunted by bigger, smarter, faster animals. Lions tigers and bears, and even us humans qualify. We are at the top of the food chain, and natures cruel. You can insist you're above nature, but there isn't anything on this earth that you can eat that wasn't once alive, and that includes plants.

That lettuce and that bread were both made from living creatures. TO my life is important no matter what. Whether it feels or not. I have respect for what I catch and I'm sure that any hunter has respect for what he shoots. More respect, I challenge than you have for your tomatoes.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #67
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

I hunt from time to time. I used to love it as a kid and then as I got older it was more fun to me to go out with my dad and uncle to drink some home brewed mead. I normally only hunt deer. I don't have the patience for turkey hunting. Coon hunting is fun if you have a dog but I don't have the time to train one or keep it trained so a few times a year I'll go out with some friends. Of all kinds of hunting I prefer fishing. Crow hunting is a ton of fun.

Is it legal to have feeders in season where you are? I know its illegal to have feeders out in season here in Arkansas or it was I haven't brushed up on my rules and regulations in a few years. This of course applies to non private land.

A lot of you that are against hunting don't understand that its almost a "cultural" difference. Around here the biggest store we have is Walmart. We don't live in trailer parks but I live in Arkansas River Valley so I have mountains literally on all sides of me one of them being Nebo which is a no hunting zone and the deer know it. You can go up there and some deer will walk right up to you and let you pet them. Deer are very populated around here and can be very hazardous on roads especially at night. That is the entire point to allow hunting. The laws are set for specific guns or bows at different periods and each hunter is restricted to how many or what he can shoot. This is all done for population control. If hunting wasn't done here we would have a major over population of deer. Have you ever saw what happens when 3-4 deer run across four lanes of interstate? I have and its not good. The entire point of hunting is population control. It isn't like we wake one morning and say "Pa lats go shoot sum dar!" you have to get a license for the season and that license says what you can and can't shoot. If you think thats unfair then keep in mind buying a license doesn't guarantee you a deer.

One deer produces a lot of meat. If none of you have had any kind of home cooked deer you are seriously missing out. You can't just go to the grocery store and buy deer meat. You want to know why? Because deer aren't farm animals and raising them for food doesn't help population issues out at all if anything makes them worse.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #68
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Binary,

Not to nitpick but I'd be very surprised if there were more than a tiny handful of .50 owners that ever killed a deer with that weapon (aside from a .50 blackpowder). For starters it's not terribly portable. In my area you don't hunt deer with a rifle from stands or blinds...for some reason I seem to recall that they may actually be illegal here. So since you're going to be carrying it a .50 cal is going to punish you for doing so. BTW, I don't believe that Nevada is the only state that has that same restriction.

Next, .50 ammunition is very expensive compared to other rounds that are far lighter and smaller. That doesn't make much sense to me. You could probably argue that a .50 would damage too much meat or you risk damaging a trophy presentation if you hit it wrong...keep in mind that the deer where Kev is are like large dogs in size.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #69
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I was just sneaking that littel point in there. I live in PA and every now and then I see a special they do on crazy rich people who buy expensive high cal rifles to "shoot deer." It's not so much the cal but the scope. I think the animal's gotta have a chance to know you're there that's all.

But I've never hunted so like I said I don't make too big of an issue out of it. I would try it at least once. I've never eaten deer either, but I have a feeling it's good.

SoBe's right about the population though. If you grow an animal for the purpose of its meet it's population generaly gets incredibly high. Every farmer's gotta get some, breed them and sell them. Worst part is when they aren't free range and such.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #70
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
milf hunters?
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #71
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
The ultimate hunting vehicle:

http://blog.uripides.com/2007/10/05/...nting-vehicle/
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #72
barronofhellion

barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #73
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy
Now that's the vehicle we needed in jeepathon2k in CS back in the day!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #74
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #75
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy
HOOO-LEEE Shit.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 AM   #76
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

With the money you could probably almost build one of those. Only I think that one floats and making one that would float might be hard. I've saw things like that before but this one takes the cake. From the looks of it I think its the worst hunting vehicle ever. You'd forget why the hell you got in the woods and how to get back out. Wouldn't be until the next day you'd make your journey home with all your buddies puking off the side of it. ahaha

I see vodka in that picture. From experience you can take whiskey, rum, and beer in the woods and you are ok. Take vodka in the woods and thats when the crazy shit goes down.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #77
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #78
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
The... the Hell?

Sweet Abraham on a gyroscopic Segway, what sort of gun is that? Was that 'shopped? o_O

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #79
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Looks like a .50 cal. Look at the Muzzle brake.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #80
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
I believe its russian, and I cant remember wether its a 12.7mm (Soviet .50 BMG equivalent) or 14.5mm (early anti-armor).

Anyone else notice the Virginia plates on the truck? God bless the Old Dominion.