Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 05-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
WarDieS

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
It's really hard for me to tell if CTF would work without testing it. I have been playing only for 5 days so I am not that in touch with the game. The short answer is probably no.

If you added CTF ala TFC (No return the flag on touch) it would require that the teleporting clases (Tracer, Genji, Reaper) could not teleport with the flag and if they do they should drop the flag on the spot.

Lethal ultimates should be non-lethal or even not having them ( I believe there is a mutator kind of thing on the private games settings) otherwise it will become really dull and shallow (this actually applies for every game mode in my opinion).

There is not much movement skill in the game apart from Genji, Hanzo, Tracer, Widowmaker, Phara (With her "rocket jumps" using E and the Shift impulse), Junkrat, so there is a good thing. There are some crowd control classes like Roadhog (hook), Junkrat (Trap and Mine), Mei (The retarded ice weapon and ultimate), Reinhart (with ultimate), Symmetra (Sentry guns with slow) that may add some layers of complexity and fun (This is probably the best part). Remove the respawn time (this heavily depends on the map actually)

There are classes that should work well like Torbjorn (He is an engineer), Bastion (He is a sentry gun X 5), Lucio (He is like a medic, heals and mobility with damage).
I think it may work on really well designed maps but it will never play like in TFC/FF. It would be a case like in TFC where the community would have to set rules to make it working (Like no backtracking, 1 HW rule, etc) because the game itself its not build around that idea.

But, again, its really hard to tell without actually trying it.

I saw an interview where Jeff Kaplan said that he played HL deathmatch and TFC competitively (wich makes me really happy somehow ). So maybe in the future we might get a CTF version of Overwatch
WarDieS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voss View Post
I guess a game mode like 1 flag ctf could work in a way but a full blown ctf game I could never see happening.
You mean like an A/D map or a push map or a CTF map just played o/d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDieS View Post
I think it may work on really well designed maps but it will never play like in TFC/FF. It would be a case like in TFC where the community would have to set rules to make it working (Like no backtracking, 1 HW rule, etc) because the game itself its not build around that idea.
Well I think CTF has always been hugely dependent on map design (for better and worse) and there's no reason it has to play that much like TFC/FF to be fun. Also "rules" (other than class limits which, if required to make it more balanced/fun, are easy to understand and can be forced so there are no interpretation issues) mainly arise if both teams are playing o/d at the same time.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium View Post
You mean like an A/D map or a push map or a CTF map just played o/d?
Think 2fort but the flag is on the bridge, both teams can grab the flag and you bring it either back into your base or into the enemies base depending on what could work better.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Anyone tried the new Unreal Tournament lately?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Not super recently, it's not bad though. I've always found UT movement pretty stale and boring, most people say it makes DM much more interesting, but it makes just running around maps pretty boring. But there's a decent amount of air control and this sliding mechanic is pretty cool. I just think the slides need to be beefed up a bit, go a little further and maintain a little more speed. And it's always possible they could do that, they do seem very open to trying new/interesting things and tweaking. It's kind of a refreshing developement process to watch.

But yeah I'd give it an all around "not bad" based on boring movement.

Oh game modes are utter bullocks though. There is currently no good objective game mode.

They have CTF, but it's marred by one of two things. Either you play vanilla, and it has the translocator. This little personal teleporter thing. So everyone is more worried about traslocating to or away with the flag, rather than DMing. Or they play instagib, which obviously isn't a real game mode, you just click someone once with hitscan, no real dm there.

1 members found this post helpful.