Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
o_headz

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
TurtleCar on offence

Last edited by o_headz; 05-10-2006 at 12:28 AM.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
o_anthraxium[wu]

looks good

Old 03-13-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Very nice indeed!

Old 03-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
o_voipme

I likey. Perhaps you could darken the interior a slight amount to add to the atmosphere.

Old 03-13-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
o_nuk3m

wow seriously thats the best independent map for this mod i have ever seen yet, i think i just exploded in my pants... brb getting a towel.

it looks good so far cant wait to see the rest

Old 03-13-2005, 04:38 AM   #6
o_dr zauis

I hope your kidding, the architecture is ok, but it still needs a lot of work, I like it so far though, one thing i suggest is getting rid of all the light textures, they look ugly to me.

This map could be really nice, but it is far from needing a towel. Hard work will make this a great map.....keep going, your doing good.

BTW are some of those HL1 textures? If so YUCK! Get rid of them, at least make your own. If not, they look VERY GRAINY, i know u said it wasnt the best G-Card, but seriously VERY GRAINY.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
o_nuggs

I think its quite cool. He said it was bare, likea shell, and I'm excited to see this after its finished being polished. It had a lot of potential!

Old 03-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #8
o_dirkpitt

The signs are very big and would block concing, rocket jumping and possibly even bhop, wasn't sure if that was intended or not.

If it were me I would make the signs a lot smaller.

But if I could map I would be making enclave right now.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
o_sobe green

I like it, it is something new unlike the 100+ maps that will be made over and over and resemble each other. Good job.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #10
o_thedarkone

I like the B&W texturing. :P Too many maps have the same decayed concrete look to them.

The one thing I'd suggest is making the wording on the signs clearer. Stylized fonts are nice, but the less one needs to spend reading a sign, the better.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
o_voipme

They changed! And they look sweet as hell! Nice job!

Old 03-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
o_mirage

Looks very Q3F style .
Don't much like those sign posts though, for the same reasons mentioned above.
Maybe you could have semi transparent team coloured signposts hanging, but are just like a hologram so you can see the signs but models dont interact with them. Kinda like the commication stuff used in the Star wars films. (dunno if thats possible in HL2?)

Old 03-14-2005, 03:50 AM   #13
o_l'anglais

A moment i thought that this map was kinda like my idea and i said "doh, again someone did it!" but no, hehehe.
I cant wait to play in this one dude

Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
o_donny

Looks nice. Btw how did you do thouse textures?

Old 03-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
o_headz

Thx for comments, I agree will all of them and have made changes, except the texture lighting will remain, so much nicer than point based, there are situations where point based is needed.

As for the textures, to use custom ones you need them in tga format say 256x256 or 512 x 512 etc then put them all in a folder (call it your mapname)
then place folder in,

SteamApps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2mp\materia lsrc

Now locate vtex.exe that resides in sourcesdk\bin

send shortcut to desktop

Now go to half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\materials

and make a folder called your mapname (same name as your tga's are in)

now drag your textures (tga's) on to the new shortcut, and a dos window will pop up, it will convert the tga into vtf and automatically place them in
your materials folder. Start hammer and they will be ready to use.

When you open your tex libary up, type in the search box the mapname (being the folder they are in) and only those will show up

To make each material have custom sound then you need to edit vtm, but dont bother until you are sure on the textures you are using, as when I map I tend to change / retexture a lot of surfaces.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:13 AM   #16
o_folia

A bit late, but I figured I could get away with lurking v_v (as usually someone posts the suggestions I have in mind a day or two afterwards anyways)...

I believe it would benefit faster first-time play if -- instead of the current sign scheme -- you placed a single, large letter alongside each sign's arrows. This could make navigating the map for first timers/n00bs an easy thing to do while you're running/bhopping, because you wouldn't need to slow down (and risk getting killed) to make sure you read things correctly like you might have to with the current setup. The only other ways of accomplishing this that I can think of would be to have a different color for each sign type (defense, offense, flag, respawn [unless you're leaving the last one out, which I hope you don't >_>]), or to have each sign change from "<==== Letter" to "<=== Word." But yes, I'm not sure if animated environments are possible in source maps, given my computer can't even handle HL2 yet >_>...

Eek, and before I forget *bonks self*:

If possible (as again, I'm no mapper, and don't know about the various limitations set onto them), I'd personally like to see signs like this one here and this other one here be split into two entirely separate signs (one for left, one for right). Again, just for reading through more quickly when getting used to the map.

But yes, I suppose that's it. Looks absolutely wonderful, especially for being barebones, and I look forward to lurking around this topic a lot throughout the rest of the map's progress *giggles fangirlishly*

Old 03-15-2005, 05:29 PM   #17
o_headz

I am at the stage now where the design of the map could change from normal open flag room or have it different and protected with lazers and a button room to deactivate, just want to know what people would prefer, opinions appreciated.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #18
o_voipme

You can always start off with a normal flag room for beta testing. Then, if it isn't working out well, change it to button protected. It doesn't matter to me, just as long as I can cap the flag somehow.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #19
o_alligator

looking good

Old 03-21-2005, 04:25 PM   #20
o_leon

top stuff keep working on it

Closed Thread