Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
o_nuk3m

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
American Citizen killed. so what who cares?

I really like the fact that the american media gets all up in arms when an american civilian gets killed, but not when an american soldier is killed. our americans are dieing every day over in iraq but it seems the american people care more about a civilian then a soldier. has anyone picked up on this story? its like headline news apparently.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
o_uber

I haven't heard anything, but to say the news or even Americans do not care the deaths of our soldiers is a pretty dumb thing to say.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
o_sta_sirtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
but to say the news or even Americans do not care the deaths of our soldiers
haha, get out a newspaper nuk3m
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
o_uncle-argon

They're hardly going to report every death of a solider that happens out there; they've been slowly dieing out there for years now and its hardly newsworthy unless you know the people involved. I haven't looked at this particular story, but I guess it must have a slightly more unusual and interesting slant on it than "another solider dies in war."
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
o_backstaber

I guess Nuken didn't see 3000 printed in 72 font on the top of newspapers everywhere last month. The rest of you know what the 3000 stands for.

IMO, reporting every person or soldiers death is more or less helping our enemy keep tally of who they actually killed that day. I seriously doubt they would know how many they killed from their suicide bombers or IEDs until the media reports it.
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Nukem, perhaps you've become accustomed to the reporting and aren't seeing it as you would otherwise but it's definitely there and being reported. In fact, I'd argue that you'd have to look hard to find good news reports. The media seems to be diligent about reporting as much of the bad as it can but the good news goes wanting...which seems to be true domestically as well.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
o_broodingdude

Plenty of Americans die each day. From all sorts of things. Not all of them have the kind of money and networking 'skill' it takes to get this kind of recognition.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
o_uber

Well I haven't heard the story yet, but it's not every day an American is murdered in a foreign country.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #9
o_nuk3m

but its always the stereotypical teenager who is blonde and comes from a wealthy upbringing. is lashinda jones from 15th and 34th was killed in iraq no one would care cause its a black person

not like i care but the media these days suck

Last edited by o_nuk3m; 01-20-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:49 AM   #10
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
[edit]

regret what I just said

Last edited by o_geokill----->; 01-28-2007 at 07:37 AM.
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
o_vampiricus

is this guy for real? After reading his other posts, im starting to see a pattern here of extreme ignorance
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #12
o_nuk3m

what the fuck are you talking about? am i for real? have you checked the news lately? terry chiavo, elizabeth smart, jeanbenette ramsey, this random white girl who got killed. are you starting to see a pattern there bobbo? what I reHEELy want to know is why people are passive about iraq, but when a girl dies now all of a sudden people want us to pull out. are ya gettin it betty?

Old 01-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
o_darksoul

dig dig dig
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
o_lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
what the fuck are you talking about? am i for real? have you checked the news lately? terry chiavo, elizabeth smart, jeanbenette ramsey, this random white girl who got killed. are you starting to see a pattern there bobbo? what I reHEELy want to know is why people are passive about iraq, but when a girl dies now all of a sudden people want us to pull out. are ya gettin it betty?
Terry didn't get killed, stop being a douche to people that pwned you.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
o_exarch

They don't make the headlines because there is no "shock factor" to the story. Truth be told, people expect soldiers to die during conflict, and it's all too easy to get accustomed to situations that are happening on a regular basis.

It's cold, but it happens every day, and often on a much larger scale.
Just look at famine in 3rd world countries. How often do you see that in a newspaper?
o_exarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
o_soundchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
I really like the fact that the American media gets all up in arms when an American civilian gets killed, but not when an American soldier is killed. Our soldiers are dieing every day over in Iraq but it seems the American people care more about a civilian then a soldier. has anyone picked up on this story? its like headline news apparently.
yea...i think Americans in the beginning were upset but....since the war has been going on for a while, the American citizen has become desensitized and
therefore anything at home is considered big news.

Bush fails as President and life. And I voted republican....wtf...not anymore...fuck those losers.
o_soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
o_player

And on that note, what do you (the Americans) think of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The webnet
Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton will embark on a widely anticipated campaign for the White House Saturday, a former first lady intent on becoming the nation's first female president.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
o_jinx

Part of the reason you see less about soldiers' deaths is because there are limitations on what the press can show. I think, for example, that they aren't allowed to film the caskets coming back. Also, the specifics of how soldiers die are often vague as the reports first come in, making the news itself little more than a statistic unfortunately. But it is still generally reported. Every single newscast you hear how many soldiers we've lost that day or the day before.

What's really missing from a lot of the media coverage:

WOUNDED SOLDIERS

Because our troop armor and our medical treatment is much better than it was in, say, Vietnam, a lot of our guys survive IEDs etc. that might have killed them 30 years ago. But they survive with brain damage, lost limbs, mutilated faces and bodies...

Last I heard we were looking at 20,000+ wounded. And that's just physical trauma. Many are also coming back with serious psychological problems- post-traumatic stress, etc. Then these people come home, and their injuries become something that effects not only them, but their family, friends, etc. The cost of this war in "people" is far more than just the "death count" would suggest.

Oh, and while you're on your high horse- what about all the Iraqi civilians who have been killed? The modest estimate (ie the Bush admin's) is around 35,000. More realist estimates are well over 50,000. We aren't talking about insurgents, or Iraqi soldiers killed in the invasion, this is solely the civilian death count. This is something you rarely hear mentioned in the news at all. That's pretty shameful, in my opinion. The American public needs to be aware of the costs of war.

Last edited by o_jinx; 01-20-2007 at 02:19 PM.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #19
o_sta_sirtiger

Nuk3m for the ignorance!
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Jinx, I've seen lunatic fringe blogs that place Iraqi civilian deaths at more than 400,000.

Nukem, most of the press is sensationalistic and focused on that which preserves and increases circulation, advertising and ratings. It's been that way for a long time. That's a big factor as to why the press sucks.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote