Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
o_imbrifer

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Updates > Progress, in Slow Times

The most important thing for a successful release of FF is the existence of a healthy community to play it. This community is created not by quickly releasing FF, but by showing bits of the mod to people through updates.

I know development of FF is slow right now (thanks to this thread) but it is better to have a longer development time with more frequent updates than to have a quicker development with no updates.

Show us bits of new things - the HWguy's face, or four colors of scouts crowbaring eachother for the New Year.. A railgun shot going through a soldier or three sentries plowing down a wave of enemies. If you do just post one shot routinely (hell, even every 2 weeks or a month), I promise you that the release (whenever it is) will be a success.

I am not one to create a thread about updates, but right now the need to bring attention to it is dire. We've discussed the problem and need about 30-60 minutes of someone's time to take a screenshot or two and post it on the front page with a sentence or two of text. That's it.

And this is also a place for those who disagree with me to explain why. Frankly there aren't enough new uppity people around anymore to turn this into a thread from hell
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
o_sta_sirtiger

Taken from my other post at a different thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STA_SirTiger
What I want to know is where in the bible does it say that the next media update has to be a step up from the last one. Bill of Rights? Magna Carta? US constitution? Qur'ān? I think you get the point. This is your mod, your website, your rights. No one is pointing a gun at the FF team and telling them "If the next update ain't better than the last one, I'll fucking eat your family in front of you!"
All we want is to have a much better understanding of what has been completed over the four month period of time. That's all, not asking much to be honest. Maybe it is time to hire someone who can click F5 while in game, sexy it up with text, and upload it to your website since the team has proven how hard it is to do those simple steps (3 minutes per screen shot at most, damn!). Don't get my wrong here, I'm just stating what has to be done for the sake of this mod. 10 screen shots = supports = it's a win-win situation. Not hard, just takes a couple of minutes to actually post some new media. Christ.
I am SirTiger and I approve this thread.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
o_qui

Making it red puts your point across better
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
o_sta_sirtiger

If you really don't have anything relevant to say qui, then please don't post at all.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
o_twincannon

I disagree with ongoing updates keeping people calm, although it largely depends on a lot of things like how long a mod has been in development, how close it is to release, how many fans it has/how active its forums are, etc etc.

We were doing monthly updates for a while with dystopia and generally the hype went down each one. Fortunately, both mods (FF and Dys), while haven't been updated in a while are fairly close to a release I think it's fair to say. So, while there may be a dry-spell of updates, all the people that would really care about updates (the fans that come to the site every day) know that they'll get to dissect the game soon with their own eyes, which is better than anything a mere news update can provide.
o_twincannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
o_jeff the god of biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
Making it red puts your point across better
o_jeff the god of biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by STA_SirTiger
If you really don't have anything relevant to say qui, then please don't post at all.
It dosnt stop 90% of the posts on this forum, so i think i'll carry on thanks.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
oh my GOD why is there another bitch thread here? is there some lame contest going on for who can bitch the most?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:37 AM   #9
o_aces

Back off fanbois, for fuck sake. Over a month since a dev journal which lets face it was a load of waffle anyway. You'd think someone could take ten minutes and throw a few interesting things into a journal, or release even one screenshot. No biggie, no whining, a simple ask.
o_aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
o_infinitum

I agree with everything Imbrifer said.

Don't make bullshit up about 'not being happy with how things look, so I'm not doing an update'. What about the screenshot of the pyro holding a nailgun, or the various other small problems? Did we give a shit about those? No. We just want an update.

There's no excuse for going nearly four months without an update when the mod is 'very close to being finished'. Christ, it's almost a month without a DEV JOURNAL UPDATE. Does it really take that much time to type a paragraph that tells us what you're doing? Write about what bugs you've fixed, or what you're currently working on, or what you need to work on. I'd much rather see what you're doing than reading some bullshit dev journal that doesn't actually tell us anything.

Last edited by o_infinitum; 12-31-2006 at 01:12 AM.
o_infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 03:05 AM   #11
o_nodnarb

I to agree with imbrifer, but I read a post about Jiggles putting some media together.
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 03:05 AM   #12
o_paft

Why are you saying this Imbrifer. Sit back and shut up, quit whining and get on with life. I am absolutely astonished about the amount of people commenting or more whinging on FF development rate. How many times have you heard "It will be done when it's done". If I was a dev I would say I/we are working at our own pace so like it or lump it.

Can you not get that into your thick heads?

There has been very little discussion on the actual game it's self the past month apart from retarded (you already know the answer) common sense questions.

Are arse holes the norm on mod sites, demanding updates or a release or is it just here?

Last edited by o_paft; 12-31-2006 at 03:14 AM.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 03:23 AM   #13
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
If I was a dev I would say I/we are working at our own pace so like it or lump it.
And thankfully, that is why you're not. They may be working at their own pace but who would say such a thing? No one would spend years creating a free game and then treat their community like shit. Everyone wants updates but if the community doesn't get them, they'll stop caring. Period.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 03:28 AM   #14
o_paft

Yap yap, the community are treating the team like s**t. And what a w**k community it is. "I want I want." That "if we don't get updates I'll lose interest and wont bother" is cow pat. They are all still here, only ignorantly making a fuss.

Come on people just roll with it.

Last edited by o_paft; 12-31-2006 at 04:28 AM.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:57 AM   #15
o_nodnarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
Why are you saying this Imbrifer. Sit back and shut up, quit whining and get on with life. I am absolutely astonished about the amount of people commenting or more whinging on FF development rate. How many times have you heard "It will be done when it's done". If I was a dev I would say I/we are working at our own pace so like it or lump it.

Can you not get that into your thick heads?

There has been very little discussion on the actual game it's self the past month apart from retarded (you already know the answer) common sense questions.

Are arse holes the norm on mod sites, demanding updates or a release or is it just here?
The rate of completion is not what were focusing on. Were focusing on the lack of updates, and the fact the community is not growing like it has been.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:01 AM   #16
o_lithium

ZOMG , I CAN SEE THE SHOTGUN MODEL ON ANOTHER ANGLE. *FAP*
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #17
o_paft

Why would community increase if there were fresher media updates?

Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 AM   #18
o_etzell

For the same reason it decreases when there isn't any news about it. Look at Duke Nukem Forever. It's an extreme example, but if there was some hardcore info about it coming out (a demo, or a video, or something), people would be like: "Sweet! Let's check it out!". TF2 did the same thing. It was all but forgotten until just this year, now people are excited for it. Updates are signs of life, and people don't walk up to things that aren't showing any signs of life and suddenly say: "OH SWEET! GOTTA GET MY HANDS ON THIS!"
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #19
o_nodnarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
For the same reason it decreases when there isn't any news about it. Look at Duke Nukem Forever. It's an extreme example, but if there was some hardcore info about it coming out (a demo, or a video, or something), people would be like: "Sweet! Let's check it out!". TF2 did the same thing. It was all but forgotten until just this year, now people are excited for it. Updates are signs of life, and people don't walk up to things that aren't showing any signs of life and suddenly say: "OH SWEET! GOTTA GET MY HANDS ON THIS!"
qft

Old 12-31-2006, 06:54 AM   #20
o_burnt_gravy

Imbrifer is right, I don't log in very often but this thread forced me to. I check these forums and the site at least once per day, and have been since late December of 2005. I don't even expect the site to be updated anymore and the only reason I check is to see that magical "we finally released the game!" show up because I know there won't be any new media until then. I appreciate what the team has done, hell Eat even helped me figure out some mapping questions I had. What I don't understand is what happened either, the team used to show tons of media during the initial phases of development. We saw concept art, renders, even the sound effects that people stole, along with regular dev journals. The lack of media, or even information is disheartening. Maybe all the team has is bug fixes, well shit tell us about those fixes so we can at least feel that the game is making some progress. Without the community the mod will die, everyone else stated it because it's right, and it's that simple.
o_burnt_gravy is offline   Reply With Quote