Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
o_steven_m64

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The Future of Avanti

Hello everyone, just wanted to let everyone know i need your help a small bit.

about half a week ago i started in a remake of Avanti from TFC and as of right now i have finished The original layout of avanti and most of the brushwork for the map so i came here to ask everyone some questions.

What would you like to see changed in avanti?

What would you like to see new in avanti?

What do you think should be in the 3D skybox for the map.

i would also like to hear any of your ideas for the map.

i will post pictures of the map in the future.
o_steven_m64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Good luck with avanti its one of my favorite maps!.

I would make the skybox above the balcony facing the gates into opaque brush work, as its frustrating to bang your head on empty air. Either that or remove it entirely, but that would make getting cap 2 even easier.

I would include a bag around 2, maybe that big in the corner room to give out concs only. Its a shame that concers dont get a chance on this map, or does that make the map special?

Heh some conflicting thoughts there hopefully you can make sense of it.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
o_valk

leave the nades how they are imo, its pretty damn balanced
make the sandbags at the church interactive - detback destroys them >_<
its one of those maps you shouldnt really make any huge changes to coz its an original balanced map imo
keep it a night skybox too!~
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
o_steven_m64

i intend to leave it as a night map and i am planning to make it a Small bit darker with some good lighting mixed in should come out looking quite nice but you will still be able to see your enemy's.

in testing we can try diffrent things and see how it balances out with diffrent ammounts of ammo and grenades, the map does not have to play exactly the same.

i just Hope the dev team can make the team fortress entitys with the same if not more options.

you can expect a good set of effect's when a detpack go's off

Keep the ideas and thought's flowing people.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Make one other bag give only concs/some health, with similar respawning time as current nade bag.
Don't make it laggy with tons of physics entities, only have a few if they have purpose/add to the gameplay of the map.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2005, 06:02 AM   #6
o_steven_m64

there will be a good ammount of prop_physics_multiplayer's for smaller items like trash and a small few regular props for looks in some area's.

regular Physics props are basicly pointless if a physcannon is not in the game.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #7
o_mj

keep the size the same and the lighting nice and vibrant to assentuate the night.

Map is pretty much balance all it needs is detail in every area. Especially the church (now it can actually look like a church!) I would make the church tall to make it look like it has depth on the inside (but keep the width like it is). I would break up the roof high above and have some environment light shine down the ruin debris. I would put the capture point on a alter with steps going up to it (not a tall alter maybe just 3 steps going up) or even have the light rays from the environment lighting shine down on the cap for a great effect (accompanied with some fog). Make it look epic and not flat and boring (this is the source engine afterall). Maybe some mosaics of some sort on the wall would look nice. Have some floating flags of the current team attacking dangling above waving around. For a nice touch to end the round when the teams captures the last point maybe a church bell would sound off.

dunno just opinions
o_mj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
o_sobe green

Remember that if you shoot the bell it rings. That was always neat to me when I had figured it out.

Keep people from being able to throw grenades at each other before the first round begins.

Instant death for walking into the attacking teams respawn. The team defending the church should never ever, ever need to be in that respawn with the other team. Its usually an infecting medic in pubs.

I'm for adding a few concs in there somewhere too.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #9
o_valk

MJ hit the mark
dont add stuff that can riks making it unbalanced :/
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 04:01 AM   #10
o_d3pth charge

remove the stuck gate bug and i will be happy.. hehe
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
o_steven_m64

i doubt we will ever see that bug again.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
o_sobe green

If you decide to add concs, make them a very very slow respawn and only available to the attacking team. I'm thinking if the entire attacking team had concs the game would go by too quickly. Instead it would be alot better IMO if in pubs you had to be the first there or in match play you had to decide who got them first.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
o_vorm

Any Screenies of this map yet.

Looking forward to any shots even if they are very basic.

Vorm

Hi all btw
o_vorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
o_catzeyes93

Points I always hated bout this map:

Medics ALWAYS hang out in the enmy respawn areas to infect the offence. Not sure if you can correct this, but it IS the number one reason I dont play this map anymore

The graphics is 'old'. Just update the graphics with a new 'theme' and it makes an old map new again. Instead of a casbah theme, change it to a dust theme or a fort theme.

Nades, nades and more nades all over the place. Sheesh... does EVERYONE on this map HAVE to have nades? I say give the spys full supply of nades on respawn, but everyone else gets NUTHIN!

::::ducks the rotten vegies being thrown at her::::
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 07:51 PM   #15
o_anthraxium[wu]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
Sheesh... does EVERYONE on this map HAVE to have nades? I say give the spys full supply of nades on respawn, but everyone else gets NUTHIN!
you seriously think that by removing nades, the map will be much more enjoyable?
o_anthraxium[wu] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 08:02 PM   #16
o_catzeyes93

For me? Heck yes! course that is just me... I doubt anyone will take that suggestion to heart and actually impliment it.
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #17
o_voipme

Avanti is one of my favorite maps of all time. My only suggestions would be to perhaps make the hallways/walkways/tunnels a little higher and wider. And perhaps make a couple more entrances to the yard at the base of the church. Like, and entrance from the ramp area that leads through a possibly brand new section of the map off to the right of the capture point (looking at it from the church). Other than that, everything else is great.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #18
o_sobe green

I almost mentioned widening the halls. But I'm not sure if I myself would completely like that. It would remove the "choke" effect that I love alot about the map. It'd have to be done -perfect- if they were to change much.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:38 AM   #19
o_comrade tiki

Quote:
Medics ALWAYS hang out in the enmy respawn areas to infect the offence.
That's happened maybe twice to me over the years! :P

Quote:
Just update the graphics with a new 'theme' and it makes an old map new again. Instead of a casbah theme, change it to a dust theme or a fort theme.
...What would it be renamed to?? Avanti is avanti. It is Italian for "before". The map is an old Italian town. The map is in a more hillside position, while Dust levels are usually quite flat. Forts aren't usually very open. An old town is the only theme that fits the layout well. And by the way, for future references, a casbah is the older section of a city in northern Africa or the Middle East. And epicenter is the focus point of an earthquake. Rock2 is copying "The Rock", Alcatraz, a (now retired) maximum security prison on an island. Well and 2fort are very self explanitory. Warpath is a course that leads to warfare or battle, noted by the two teams advancing into eachother. Crossover being the one bridge to get across, water passage excluded. I love Valve's usage of vocabulary. It gives me apprehension to think of the map names of Team Fortress 2. Call me xenophobic, but I am afriad of dull map names not native to Valve's colourful naming processes.

Quote:
Nades, nades and more nades all over the place. Sheesh... does EVERYONE on this map HAVE to have nades? I say give the spys full supply of nades on respawn, but everyone else gets NUTHIN!
Isn't there one pack of grenades in the entire level? :P
Plus, why should spies have all of the fun? If diamonds were grenades, then girls would be pyros. Please refer to Marilyn Monroe to understand my simile.
o_comrade tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2005, 03:38 AM   #20
o_dr zauis

And dont you forget HUNTED where you....wait for it.......

HUNT SOMEONE!
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote