Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-16-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
o_nuggs

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Fortress Forever + Google

Has anyone ever tried to typer fortress forever into google? I have browed through 8 pages deep, and still fortress-forever.com doesnt come up. Of course there are hundreds of refrences to the site, but the site itself does not come up. I noticed this two weeks ago. Even weirder is I seem to remember it being the first link at one point in time, and now its not even on the first 8 pages!
o_nuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
o_lektrik

it's a conspiracy
o_lektrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
o_three_gunn

i get schtoofas interview with azlan from dec of last year. ...i think its advertisement enough.
o_three_gunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #4
o_pizzahut

That is weird - I remember linking to Google to escape being censored (which didn't help, btw), and it was the 1st link if I searched for "fortress-forever" and maybe 2nd result or so when leaving out the dash.

You can call me crazy or jumping to conclusions, but I think *one* explanation is that Valve asked Google to remove http://www.fortress-forever.com/ from the list of results.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
o_nuggs

yea pizza I've been following the FF dealing on steampowered, and now seeing that it doesnt appear on google anymore does throw fuel on the fire. Can anyone else verify it doesnt come up on google for them?
o_nuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
o_storm

It can take a long time for Google's bots to accurately show a news sites position (9week cycle I think). The site will be ranked high very soon as it has loads of reciprocal links, you can see these for any site by typing in

Site www.fortress-forever.com into Google.

This shows the sites that directly link to Google. The problem at the moment isn't a lack of hits its just that sites with fortress forever written on them are getting more hits and also their long term popularity makes their hits more valuable.
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
o_curly

Yea, I was searching for the site at home where I didn't have it favorited, and google didn't give me shit!
o_curly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #8
o_mooga

Not on page one for me...
http://www.google.com/search?q=Fortress+Forever
That's the Google link to the search for those of us who are way too lazy.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
o_pizzahut

I don't know Storm, afaik Google works so that sites which are linked to become more popular. Most of the top results are all linking to FF, which should be pushing FF right to the top.
Quote:
PageRank interprets a link from Page A to Page B as a vote for Page B by Page A. PageRank then assesses a page's importance by the number of votes it receives.
http://www.google.com/intl/en/corporate/tech.html

Old 02-17-2005, 02:15 AM   #10
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

It is a bit odd we've noticed it, too.

Strangely enough, even if the search result page isn't cached locally, sometimes one of the dev team members has our site end up at the top for that fortress forever query... meanwhile another user in a different location performing the same query has it appear nowhere in the result set.

Very strange indeed! Shrug, i'm sure there's a method to google's madness heh.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 AM   #11
o_mooga

when you search for something, the offical site should ALWAYS be first.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #12
o_link

Nice idea in theory, but thats not how google works. Basically, it shows you pages that contain the word you searched.
For example, if you type in "team fortress classic" it will not think "This person is searching for team fortress classic, whats the team fortress classic official page?", it will think "Right, show them all pages that have the words team, fortress and classic in them". So you would get football teams, historical fortresses and classical music amoungst your results.

tbh, the best bet is to leave google to its own devices. For the most part, it gives you what you need, far more than other engines, so trying to trick it is going to mess the system up.
o_link is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #13
o_sobe green

The more sites that link to FF the higher FF will be in rank on the search. After enough websites link to fortress-forever.com when you search "Fortress Forever" google will display the main link all the pages have in common. Right now I'd be willing to bet most pages are mainly linking to the media section or message board or just mentioning it without a link. Either way its apparently not enough, yet.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
o_pizzahut

I've submitted FF to Google, maybe that will help. However it might take a few weeks till it's listed.
Quote:
We do not add all submitted URLs to our index, and we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if they will appear.
EDIT: Added a submission to dmoz.org.
Quote:
Once your site has been accepted into the Open Directory, it may take anywhere from 2 weeks to several months for your site to be listed on partner sites which use the Open Directory data, such as AOL Search, AltaVista, HotBot, Google, Lycos, Netscape Search, etc. We make updates of the data available weekly, but each partner has their own update schedule.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #15
o_leffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut
I've submitted FF to Google, maybe that will help. However it might take a few weeks till it's listed.
Quote:
We do not add all submitted URLs to our index, and we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if they will appear.
Don't worry, it's there, http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...ss-forever.com

It just needs a better ranking. I'd suggest putting links to Fortress Forever somewhere on all your homepages ;)
o_leffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #16
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Thanks leffe, if we can get some more direct links to our home page that will be great.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote