Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
o_betaplz

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Not releasing a beta = big mistake

You guys are making a mistake not releasing a beta. There's nothing to good to play now-- especially since bf2142 demo was such a flop. Come November, ppl will flock to Wii and before you know it TF2 and QW will be out. FF will not gain any popularity if you release it during those times and it will be another dead mod with great potential. If you released a beta now, at least you'd get people playing, get some popularity, and maybe some will like it enough to keep playing even when TF2 comes out.

Some people on these forums think releasing beta is wrong. This is really stupid judging by the history of mods like CS, which had many betas. If the game is fun, people won't abandon it and wait for fixes. Look at WoW which was unplayable the first month after its release. People bitched and moaned but they stayed because they knew it was a good game.
o_betaplz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
o_psycnet

Listen to this man, he's obviously an internet genius and is telling us the truth from his historical knowledge of gaming history as well as his sociological degree upon the understanding of the human psyche. Don't wait, no one will play it.

This man is the future, don't disappoint him.
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
o_saberwolf

The way it is. If people have watched the making of FF and like it enough to join the forums, they'll get the game regardless of what ever else is out there. If you would actually abondon FF for another game, instead of just getting both (FF IS A FREE MOD), then you suck. F*** you, no one likes you. Go away.

Have a nice day.
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
o_golfisfun

just to go a little off topic the bf2142 demo is a DEMO do you really think they would give u unlocks in a damn demo? All you people who think that are idiots!
o_golfisfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
o_saberwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaplz
ppl will flock to Wii and before you know it
Oh....and F*** the Wii. I'm waiting for the PS3.

Just like FF...it'll be well worth the wait.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
o_golfisfun

i said screw it im getting both the PS3 and Wii

Old 10-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
o_psycnet

Since this thread has no relative value and ps3 vs wii is more interesting...

I agree for once with golfisfun...I will probably buy both, but only becuse I have a job and I know how to manage money

Old 10-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
o_golfisfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT

I agree for once with golfisfun...I will probably buy both, but only becuse I have a job and I know how to manage money

haha i knew you would come to my side!

Old 10-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
o_saberwolf

Quote:
Haha, this thread stayed on topic for 3 posts. I love it.....and thats what betaplz gets for being impatient!

Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
IBTL?

Gotta love the kids who go though all the trouble of making up such a creative name, typing out the longest article of their lives only to find out they're a failure.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
o_betaplz

Wow, so much hate and resistance.

PsYcNeT: Your reading comprehension is lacking. No one said anything about gaming history here, and you don't need a degree in sociology to have common sense and be able to make observations. Anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the past few years and knows how to read (which apparently isn't you) would know that's just how things work.

SaberWolf: My point is that everyone would be occupied with new games and won't even bother trying player-made mods with the exception of a small community following. If you look at other games with small communities, you'd notice that all those games have few servers up and even less people playing.

golfisfun: BF2142 is crap with or without unlocks. EA butchered every aspect of it that made BF series fun.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
o_betaplz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
IBTL?

Gotta love the kids who go though all the trouble of making up such a creative name, typing out the longest article of their lives only to find out they're a failure.
2 paragraphs is long for you?

Old 10-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
o_psycnet

Yeah I guess living under my rock tells me that patience is nothing more than fallacy and definately not a virtue of people who are a) mature, and b) understanding of the game creation process.

As for my ability to read, or rather, comprehend, all I know is that you haven't posted a single thing relevant since joining the boards (today) and not only did you feel the need to create a new thread to tell us about it, you consciously ignored the thread already created to spout your infantile nonsense.

Gain some perspective and look at it from the view of the developers and stop being so damn selfish.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
o_puppychow

betaplz: the release early and often vs the 'when its done' debate has been run into the ground. the dev team has a better perspective on this issue than either of us. it's a waste of your time.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Holy hell, he replied! My theory has been disproved, whatever will I do with myself now?

But yeah, really, the devs don't care about your personal opinion in regards to their lack of beta, and if you actually read any of the forums, you would know there most likely will be a beta, sort of, after they're done with the closed beta testing. They don't want FF to flop, the naysayers will say nay while the rest of us go on and wait.

If you really want to be a contributing, semi-contributing or even a simple parasite, do us a favor and read the FAQ and post these kinds of posts on the Bitch About Updates thread, which can be found here.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
what a fucking pointless thread. here's a pointless post.

betaplz: there's no external deadline to meet as such, so why not let them take their time. internal deadlines are of course a good thing, but getting something done fast for the sake of getting it done fast is just a flop waiting to happen.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #17
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betaplz
You guys are making a mistake not releasing a beta. There's nothing to good to play now-- especially since bf2142 demo was such a flop. Come November, ppl will flock to Wii and before you know it TF2 and QW will be out. FF will not gain any popularity if you release it during those times and it will be another dead mod with great potential. If you released a beta now, at least you'd get people playing, get some popularity, and maybe some will like it enough to keep playing even when TF2 comes out.

Some people on these forums think releasing beta is wrong. This is really stupid judging by the history of mods like CS, which had many betas. If the game is fun, people won't abandon it and wait for fixes. Look at WoW which was unplayable the first month after its release. People bitched and moaned but they stayed because they knew it was a good game.
You've missed the part where other HL2 mods have released betas only to have people complain about how buggy they are/were and never play them again.

That's why you can't release a beta now-a-days - you have to release something that is finished (or very well polished) otherwise it's fun for a day and you never play it again.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #18
o_betaplz

Quote:
Yeah I guess living under my rock tells me that patience is nothing more than fallacy and definately not a virtue of people who are a) mature, and b) understanding of the game creation process.

As for my ability to read, or rather, comprehend, all I know is that you haven't posted a single thing relevant since joining the boards (today) and not only did you feel the need to create a new thread to tell us about it, you consciously ignored the thread already created to spout your infantile nonsense.

Gain some perspective and look at it from the view of the developers and stop being so damn selfish.
You're not impressing me with your pseodo-intellect-- save that for kiddos like Lost, and as far as fallacies go, go look up ad hominem. What is relevant here? Is sharing an opinion about a game in a general forum relevant? Do you make it a habit going from thread to thread launching personal attacks? How is THAT relevant, then?

Since you're such an expert on developer perspective, why don't you share something about that instead of flaming.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
o_puppychow

the interweb is awesome
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
o_betaplz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
You've missed the part where other HL2 mods have released betas only to have people complain about how buggy they are/were and never play them again.

That's why you can't release a beta now-a-days - you have to release something that is finished (or very well polished) otherwise it's fun for a day and you never play it again.
That's true but could it be that those mods weren't fun in the first place?