Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
o_re|ic

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I've tried joining that bhop 2.0 sever, and when I get up to verifying resources (when loading) steam closes and I'm back to my desktop.

odd eh? I have many other games like CS:S and DoD:S and Red Orchestra and they all log onto servers fine.

Any ideas why I maybe getting this problem. My ping is usually about 15-20
o_re|ic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
o_df`

Bhop 2.0?

Apparently this is some kind of server hax mod for TFC? I just decided to join a pub for the hell of it and they had this running, and it was uncanny! I could bhop like a young man again! For the first time in a long time, I actually had fun in TFC.

I guess the most important question is...is this what bhop is going to be like in FF? Because if so, TF2 can just...oh, well, I wasn't really planning on buying it anyway, but this seals the deal!
o_df` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 02:21 AM   #3
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Imagine QWTF bhopping with an elastic limit that slowly brings you back down to a respectable speed when you exceed it.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
o_soundchaser

what server is this on?
o_soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
o_df`

It was 209.51.136.22:27015.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
o_badguy

I wasn't aware of a bhop limit in tfc ever?

You surely don't need a cheat to bunnyhop in tfc at insane speeds
o_badguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGuy
I wasn't aware of a bhop limit in tfc ever?

You surely don't need a cheat to bunnyhop in tfc at insane speeds
For a good few years there has been a 170% cap
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
o_pizzahut

It means the cap is at 2.0 times normal class speed.
The mod used is Sparky v2.
edit: Also no slow-down.

Last edited by o_pizzahut; 09-23-2006 at 04:22 PM.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
o_eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by df`
I guess the most important question is...is this what bhop is going to be like in FF? Because if so, TF2 can just...oh, well, I wasn't really planning on buying it anyway, but this seals the deal!
We are still tweaking because it felt too fast in recent playtests. Basically we were playing push and you could bhop past most people without getting hit so we will tune it down 5% or so and test again. It was reeeally fun before but we felt it was just a little unbalanced.
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
o_qbaler

there has been a tfc/hl plugin for some time now that disabled the bhop restriction so you could have uncapped bhop.

its a server side metamod plugin
o_qbaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
o_ping_chow_chi

Now this may make me appear as a 'newb'....but then again I really would like to highlight a problem that may happen here.

I use to host on my clan server, a works TFC night, we use to have half a dozen or work mates play with me and some clan mates. now only a couple of the ever played TFC to any great degree, but all of them use to complain that people where always cheating, it was never that they where using aim bots or wall hacks lways that they where travelling twice as fast as they could travell (this was pre-cap time). I did try to explain - but probably due to the fact I couldn't BH - it never seemed that they would except the reason.

Now you have a system in process that will inform the average joe that people running arround at twice the speed that they can is the norm and I hope it is made out clear. But if some new guy joins a random FF server and some guy is running twice as fast as him, well he may feel it is a cheat.

You guys really need to capture a new players within a couple of hours playing time, if not, they will piss off to some other game. If you think the game should be faster, I really think you should just up the 'game speed' rather than allow people who 'know' what key presses to have the advantage over Mr. random joe who might have joined the server for the first time.

As soon as you make a clear and well defined barrior between the new and the vet - that could spell trouble.

Last edited by o_ping_chow_chi; 09-23-2006 at 09:41 PM.
o_ping_chow_chi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #12
o_kindbud

There's no skill in speeding up the game, sry...
o_kindbud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Not to mention a tutorial mode, and bunnyhopping being a fully-featured part of the game that will be mentioned on the site, all over the forums, in the manual, in the in-game tutorial, and possibly in midgame hints.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #14
o_dammage

I still believe that greater speed should just cost more life. End of story

Or to explain it more: the more speed you wish, the more you pay. E.g. a second gren jump for the mini in ETF means 50% of life what means being delivered to nailguns in no time.

But if people believe it is the right way ... well, people believed in witches, too
Tbh, the most important thing for me is that the game will be fluent. fluent. No matter how fast/slow it is.

As for the bhop plugin, it isn't new. I remeber to have played on such pubs pretty long time ago.

Cheers, happy Sunday
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 10:45 PM   #15
o_ping_chow_chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Not to mention a tutorial mode, and bunnyhopping being a fully-featured part of the game that will be mentioned on the site, all over the forums, in the manual, in the in-game tutorial, and possibly in midgame hints.
yes, because evereyone watches the tutorial, forums etc ....

I am sorry , what was trying to point out is people who came to the games as complete 'newbs' not people who had 'read the guides' not people 'who had played the game before' but new people, you know, the people we need to make the mod a sucess

I have too say, how many manuals have you read lately? .... me, I normaly jump in the game and give it a go
o_ping_chow_chi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Hey, if you wanna jump into a game you know nothing about, start playing, get frustrated when someone does something you haven't learned how to do yet, then quit playing... then we're all probably better off.

If they want to take no initiative to learn the game, they don't deserve to, frankly. There are tons of tricks in TFC that aren't immediately apparent, but if they just want to throw a hissy fit and give up then let them, nothing we can do about that. Unless you want us to just remove them all, so everyone can jump right in? No rocket jumping, no conc jumping, no bunnyhopping, no pipejumping... we'll just give everyone jetpacks and speed boots, perfectly fair then.

Me, I read about what I can do in a new game. I run through the configs and see what's what, reset keys if I have to. I look for tricks and special features in the game manuals. I read map descriptions if it's one I've never played before. I guess this makes me unusual, but frankly I'd rather be prepared.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:39 AM   #17
o_magz

you cant be a bloke then?
o_magz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #18
o_df`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
If they want to take no initiative to learn the game, they don't deserve to, frankly.
I agree with you, but sadly this is probably why there are only ~40 TFC players max on servers that ping good to me. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbaler
It means the cap is at 2.0 times normal class speed.
The mod used is Sparky v2.
edit: Also no slow-down.
Are you sure that it only raises the cap? I could have sworn that the jump timing was actually more forgiving. Like, I haven't played seriously in at least three years now, and usually when I pop on from time to time I can't bhop at all. But when I got on here, it was like all the sudden I could do it almost like when I used to clan. It was nice to have that feeling of competence again, even if it wasn't totally deserved, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping_Chow_Chi
Now you have a system in process that will inform the average joe that people running arround at twice the speed that they can is the norm
No, no, no. Don't get me wrong, although bhopping on that server was easier than I remember it, it was by no means something that "the average joe" could do...I could only do it for maybe 10 hops at maximum before I'd miss one, and the only reason I could do that is I already know how to bhop even if my technique is rusty after years of not honing it. It kind of reminded me of what FC was saying, how in FF it'll be easier to learn how to bhop but require skill to effectively use and practice to master fully.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:00 AM   #19
o_nezumi

I think mentioning bhopping in a mid-game hit (which is ON by default) would at least let new players know that it's an intentional feature right off the bat and not a cheat or exploit.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote