Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
o_atari

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF Match Scoring

Not played a TFC match in years, and since then I've played a quite a few CS:S matches. I'm doing a few things to my FF website atm (fixtures/matches etc) and can't remember (for sure) how the TFC scoring works...it's been that long.

Is it by total maps won or total score like CS?

E.g.

On Map a, Team 1 get 170 points vs Team 2 get 20 points = Team 1 win the map
On Map b, Team 1 get 10 points vs Team 2 get 20 points = Team 2 win the map

Team 1 total score is 180
Team 2 total score is 40

Do team 1 win or is a draw?

I know this probably depends on the league, but I'm pretty sure I remember it being by maps rather than score. Also, is anything going to, or should anything change with FF?
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
o_gunslinger

It depends on the league.

However, determining the winner by score only really works when the same map is played twice, hence why it is good in CS, poor for most TFC leagues (bring back Vitality!)
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
o_mikefed

Does indeed depend on the league. Friendlies are done by maps though, and everyone knows thats the proper way!
o_mikefed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
o_afx

By maps has always been the best way, unless that is youre doing the us style of league games i.e playing the same map twice.
Taking your example, Lets assume map 1 is shutdown2, quite an open map and map 2 was Rock2, an incredibly tight map. Going by total score wouldnt necessarily be reflective of the actual game. i.e you could quite easily lose an open map like sd2 by maybe 50 points, without being utterly outplayed. Go on to rock2, you could utterly dominate them on it, and you still probably wouldnt score enough points to win overall.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
o_gunslinger

rock2_r or whatever it was was kinda cool how you got points for taking the flag out of keyroom, more points for yard etc, made games far tenser. Twilight_l maybe.
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
o_ghost

There's pros and cons to both ways. The main way US leagues are run is what Afx described. Total score of 2 30 minute rounds on the same map.

The 1 map approach is nice in that you only have to worry about preparig for 1 map each week and it allows for a change in strategy for round2 to improve on your round1 performance. However, if you are losing by a large amount after round1 it's almost impossible to win round2. There have been some nice comebacks but usually that isn't the norm.

The multiple map approach (like best 2 out of 3 maps) is nice in that if you get completely decimated on the first map you can still win by doing well on the next 2.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
o_kam

1 map x2 would get so boring, I don't how you put up with it D:
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
o_3vil9rin

I never understood why TFC matches were always 2 maps. Obviously with maps like dustbowl the map has to be played twice to determine a winner, but why does a normal league game have to be 2 maps?

I assume it originates from each clan picking a map for a friendly.
o_3vil9rin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
o_ghost

Well, for the same map x2 option it's so each map is played on a different server, usually one round on the home team's server and the next on the opposing team's server. This is really important if one clan is primarily east coast and the other is primarily west coast, or at least that's where their servers are located.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
o_afx

That and a half hour clangame leaves you wanting more. Whereas an hour is just right.
3 maps on the other hand is a tad too much, Played 5 in the etfcl final..now that was hell.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
o_valk

3's fine

its best of 3 in aus
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I never much cared for playing two different maps because more often than not I was stuck playing 3 rounds. Often, we would win 1 map and lose the other, thus requiring another match. Of course I enjoyed playing, but this was often just too time consuming.

To accommodate west-coasters, matches were usually scheduled around 9:00pm or 9:30. Of course, it usually took another 15 to 30 minutes to get everyone on the server and ready to go - assuming the server behaved (so we didn't have to get another one). I've had matches last well past Midnight thanks to this. OGL allowing clans to pick their own times often made this worse.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk
3's fine

its best of 3 in aus
Well obviously its down to personal opinion, 2 maps and i pretty much had enough. Particularly when they so rarely fit into an hour period anyway, normally you'd be looking at upto 30 mins worth of fucking about before you even got going properly. Can get a bit much if youre playing more than once or twice a week.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #14
o_deadpool

only real league i remember doing it by maps is OGL, but thats because they played different maps every round, best of 3 type deal. the way it usually is is if the league plays the same map they will add scores from the rounds, if a league plays different maps each round then it will go by who won each round.
o_deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
o_dammage

i don't know about you, but it can become boring to play 2-3 rounds the same map over and over again. In EETFL and ETFHLL no one would actually come onto the idea to play one map.

It is not friendly (one clan prefers that map, the other this one etc) and it is boring IMO, but as the League name (EETFL) suggests, it is a European one.

Oh, well, people say that Aus people have everything unusual and upside down, but as it looks like, those are actually US ones

Playing one map and counting by caps is as dumb as the count system in all those ClanBase ET cups where for holding a map you get one point and then get one point for accomplishing the task in the second round. It is dumb because holding a time you set is much easier than to hold full 20 minutes or whatever time the map suggests.

But looks like Polish ppl can count better this way (SCNR, a joke, it is just because the majority of pubs has been overtaken by Polish ppl and so the jokes nothing evil behind it)
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I think that playing 3 maps is less friendly b/c the 3rd map almost always favors one clan - not a "neutral" tiebreaker.

Sure the 1 map in the 2 round situation probably favors one clan more than the other, but the imbalance is lessened by giving both clans more time to prepare for it (and the chance to change strats 2nd round). Especially since the 3rd map in the above situation might not actually get played.

Though it was fun (in OGL) to pick Scrummage and rape unprepared clans
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #17
o_dammage

ewww, usually ppl pick maps by throwing maps out of the maplist until two stay. Or one, depending on the situation.
This way they can avoid their *worst nightmares*.
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #18
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
The reason US leagues can play one map for two rounds is that we traditionally play a much larger variety of maps and playtypes, and traditionally our clans play many fewer friendlies.

Also the difference between point based/seasonal and weekly titles.

I just wish NA leagues played maps for one week, not 2. I remember once when TFL, STA and IGL all had Darkness come up in their rotations at near the same time. Never wanted to see that map after 5-6 matches in 6 weeks.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 PM   #19
o_nex nicholai

The better question is wether the scoreboard will work without bugging out. Its been all these years and the TFC scoreboard still glitches out if someone drops/changes teams.

I have faith it will be work in FF, its just a pet peeve of mine.
o_nex nicholai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #20
o_deadpool

yea i loved playing pipezone in tfc and crushing unsuspecting clans =p. someone should make pipezone for ff! greatest map ever!
o_deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote