Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
o_crazy carl

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Nutty map ideas

Back in my TFC days I used to come up with some pretty weird map objectives. Some remained just as ideas, but some I actually began building. They might not have been any fun or even have worked, but I thought they were at least interesting.

camp:
Pretty simple objective: camp the enemy's respawn. The map has no flags, so for each enemy player you kill coming out of the respawn, your team gets a point. Once a player gets outside the respawn area, there's no score for killing him.

non-violent CTF:
For every enemy you frag, your team loses a point. Normal CTF rules apply. I originally just wanted to mod 2fort to do this, but I couldn't find a way to make the scoring work (Suicides obviously couldn't count as kills)

Double Hunted:
Two civilians, two bodyguard teams. If both civilians make it to the safe point, they go into an arena alone and fight to the death with their umbrellas!

Offensive hunted:
Like a hunted map, but there's no safe point. The president gets points by moving around the map. The riskier the area, The more points awarded.

collect 4:
Four flags, rather like flagrun, but the capture points were scattered about the base. I actually finished this map and playtested it, but entity bug was discovered during the test that made the flags disappear . The testers also seemed really confused as to the map objective. I thought it was simple enough. Maybe they didn't read the map text?

scud
A CTF map, where a cap resulting in your shooting a missile at the enemy base. However, if you kept control of a tower in the center of the map, you could shoot down the missile and prevent a score. I built a map like this but it ended up getting really big and out of hand. I ended upi recycling the bases for another map.

scorched earth
a dustbowl-type A/D map. The difference is that the defense has the ability to destroy their respawns and ammo bags before the offense captures them. They have to be careful not to do this too early, though.

Double attackers
An A/D map where two teams each try to score against a third defensive team. Will the attackers fight each other or work together to wear down the defensive team?

What do you think of these ideas? If you've got any of your own share them!
o_crazy carl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
camp: sounds really annoying.

non-violent CTF: wah? Certainly interesting but I don't know if it'd catch on. What'd be the point of defense?

double hunted: Nezumi is/was working on a map like this, except without the fight to the death thingy. Sounds fun.

offensive hunted: interesting, but no real sense of accomplishment.

collect 4: what, like cz2?

scud: sounds familiar.

scorched earth: also sounds familiar, but they may have just been leaving a detpack in the spawn before a point was captured.

double attackers: probably the most interesting of the lot.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
o_ekse

"camp" sounds fun

it would need a good map layout though (respawns especially). only frag-grenades. and a rule, that if you stay longer than 5s inside your respawn, you die and lose points ...
o_ekse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
o_zydell

Dunno about you but I played the game camp a lot already, just didnt get points for it :'(
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
o_crazy carl

camp really more of a statement than a map I would expect to catch on. The idea is to take an activity that is normally considered griefing and make it an officially sanctioned activity. I think it could be fun, though, if the level were designed right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
non-violent CTF: wah? Certainly interesting but I don't know if it'd catch on. What'd be the point of defense?
In theory, if you could prevent a cap with fewer than ten frags, it would be worth defending. You'd probably want to just exclusively target the flag carrier. In practice you'd probably end up with some noobs who refuse to stop fragging and they'd ruin the whole thing.

Quote:
collect 4: what, like cz2?
No, there are four flags total. Both teams can pick them up. The point is to take the flags over to your side, plant them, and keep them from being stolen back.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
o_nezumi

That sounds like flagrun.

That double attackers thing sounds fun though. I've always wanted to see a 4-way ctf map also.

Quote:
double hunted: Nezumi is/was working on a map like this
I was making one where there are 2 VIPs and each has a team of bodyguards. The VIP could be any class though. Instead of trying to run to the end zone or whatever each VIP was just trying to outlast the other. A huge bonus would be awarded to the VIP and his team if the VIP actually managed to kill the enemy VIP himself. I actually got all this to work with entities in TFC, except the bonus if a VIP gets the kill. Aparently this will be no problem with LUA.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Like flagrun? That pretty much IS flagrun. The only way it'd be different is what he said about the cap points being scattered around.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
o_yoshura

everything but the camp....
o_yoshura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
o_donny

I have played few times that remind me on the camp idea. And it wasnt fun playing the respawn team...
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2006, 05:14 AM   #10
o_mj

i hope the entity system is very flexible so these game types are possible..
o_mj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
o_fresh

I always liked the idea of having a classic CTF style gameplay but without flags, instead there are 2 hunder an each team. The bases would be killer hard to infintrate and the hunted would hide in the safest place or move around depending on the comms. 10 points for each hunted kill.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
o_player

That would be a bit like Murderball then, always fun
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2006, 02:47 AM   #13
o_rifle

Those are some preety crazy ideas but I like them.
o_rifle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2006, 02:50 AM   #14
o_crazy carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
I always liked the idea of having a classic CTF style gameplay but without flags, instead there are 2 hunder an each team. The bases would be killer hard to infintrate and the hunted would hide in the safest place or move around depending on the comms. 10 points for each hunted kill.
That's actually where my idea for aggressive hunted came from. I decided it wouldn't be much fun to just hide in your own base, so I had to find a way to force the VIP to move around

Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
o_carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carl
That's actually where my idea for aggressive hunted came from. I decided it wouldn't be much fun to just hide in your own base, so I had to find a way to force the VIP to move around
Maybe there could be a timer on the camping, if the VIP camps for over 30 seconds in one place without moving, for like 1-2 minutes in between, he dies and the other team gets 10 points
just an idea

*edit*
not the most realistic feature tho
o_carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex
Maybe there could be a timer on the camping, if the VIP camps for over 30 seconds in one place without moving, for like 1-2 minutes in between, he dies and the other team gets 10 points
just an idea

*edit*
not the most realistic feature tho
A bomb is attached to a heart rate monitor that was surgically implanted by the other team, he has to keep his heart rate up (by running/moving around) or he dies.

You could make a cool heartbeat HUD icon using LUA!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #17
o_theres *nothing* here

give one team quad damage, and two other teams have to team up to beat them!

or, on eguy with quad, and lots of hp, and the first team to kill him wins the round, or flag cap, etc.
o_theres *nothing* here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #18
o_etzell

Quote:
A bomb is attached to a heart rate monitor that was surgically implanted by the other team, he has to keep his heart rate up (by running/moving around) or he dies.

You could make a cool heartbeat HUD icon using LUA!
Sounds dumb. If they can do surgery on him to implant a HRM, why not just kill the fucker, instead of giving him a chance. Sounds like Hunted is a James Bond map.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Running from a cage to a parked car only to be teleported back sounds dumb too, but eh.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #20
o_imbrifer

Score one for Circ...

I like the Camp idea... mind if I give a go at making it in a while?

I'd make like 3 or 4 exits to each spawn, and make two of them exit into the same room, then the third exits upstairs or a short distance away, so the camping team has to spread itself out a bit. Maybe if there was a certain number of players, some of the doors would lock (DEVS: is this possible?). Points would be scored for each minute a team is kept from leaving its spawn area. 'twould be a small map, and im thinking a rocky ridge in a desert or on an orange planet..

My initial criticisms are that it could get boring really quick if one team gets a good setup.. maybe after camping it successfully for 5 points, the successful team gets a round bonus of 10 and is teleported back to their spawn, and everyone starts from scratch?
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote