Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
o_lchlucky

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Beta Server hardware and developer systems

Couple of questions for the FF team.

1. Has it come to a point in development that plans are being made on how to roll out to Beta testers and what hardware/bandwidth to serve from? Perhaps you already have a service provider to host a few servers and then distribute the mod to the select testers. Or would the beta server and mod be distributed to a select few and then test from there? This is more of a server hardware side question and not when would it be released for beta.

2. Do the developers utilize one central server as a repository for the MOD or is each piece of the game local to the respective developers system/network.

Reason for the questions is I don't see anything in the forums relating to a lack of hardware/speed from the developers. Since this is not a corporate created game I wouldn't expect all to have a shiny new fast system to work with. Perhaps a new system/server would help part of the team be more productive during development of the game.

I have not seen any requests out to community for assistance regarding hardware. I guess this is a request back to the team as to what could be helpful, now and when beta rolls around.

Last edited by o_lchlucky; 04-05-2006 at 06:47 AM.
o_lchlucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
o_toffee

As far as I know, Burstfire have been helping and sponsoring FF. These guys are very popular in the UK as a non-profit type thing which provides clan servers, hosting for leagues websites etc in TFC.
o_toffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchlucky
Couple of questions for the FF team.

1. Has it come to a point in development that plans are being made on how to roll out to Beta testers and what hardware/bandwidth to serve from? Perhaps you already have a service provider to host a few servers and then distribute the mod to the select testers. Or would the beta server and mod be distributed to a select few and then test from there? This is more of a server hardware side question and not when would it be released for beta.
We have a vast list of people offering help to the mod. We're very grateful to these people. When the time comes (it's gettin' closer, baby! How soon I don't know), we won't be short of hardware. Burstfire and GTV also donated a test server to us in the meantime.

We haven't done any serious serious load testing yet, but I would be surprised if FF eats more CPU/RAM resources compared to the other Source mods. Remember that FF doesn't have a myriad physics objects or otherwise, so the server doesn't have to crunch those numbers so much.

Quote:
2. Do the developers utilize one central server as a repository for the MOD or is each piece of the game local to the respective developers system/network.
We currently use Subversion which is kindly hosted by Joe/GamingTV/Catacombs (delete as applicable). Previous to this, we used CVS which was very graciously set up & run by burstfire and adminned by GingNutz* edited. Big thanks to both of these groups.

The crux of this is that the build is accessible at all times and the mod is always current (all you have to do is commit your local changes and everyone can download the latest stuff quickly). SVN is a great tool.

Quote:
Reason for the questions is I don't see anything in the forums relating to a lack of hardware/speed from the developers. Since this is not a corporate created game I wouldn't expect all to have a shiny new fast system to work with. Perhaps a new system/server would help part of the team be more productive during development of the game.

I have not seen any requests out to community for assistance regarding hardware. I guess this is a request back to the team as to what could be helpful, now and when beta rolls around.
We've got everything we need at the moment thanks to the people who have supported us from day one. Again, I thank the guys I've already mentioned.

You can be sure that if we require anything further, we'll be putting out requests. I don't anticipate it being a problem, though (happily).

Last edited by Defrag; 04-06-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
o_lchlucky

Defrag, Thanks for the response, better than I expected. And well I guess im not the only one willing to assist any way possible. I have a handful of high end servers for my use. And also willing to dish up some money should it be needed for development.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:58 AM   #5
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Host a TFC server for us.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
o_lchlucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Host a TFC server for us.
I have had one up off and on over the years but none on the new equipment I have. My service provider pulled out in 2003 so I lost the fiber to my house. So time warner = no bandwidth. However within half a mile they are in the process of building a data center and hoping I will have some light available again soon. If you have a place in Austin I can collo with some bandwidth I will place a server there.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Direhit
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
We currently use Subversion which is kindly hosted by Joe/GamingTV/Catacombs (delete as applicable).
I put GTV to rest almost a year ago ya freaking nub.
Direhit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
o_ginger lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
We currently use Subversion which is kindly hosted by Joe/GamingTV/Catacombs (delete as applicable). Previous to this, we used CVS which was very graciously set up & run by burstfire and adminned by Ginger Lord. Big thanks to both of these groups.
Eh?

I did what.

I don't think so...names confused there you crazy scot.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
o_legacy

Hah, think he meant GingaNutz. You should have stayed quiet, there was a place on the beta list for you. Doh!
o_legacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

haha. Too many ginges. Yes, I meant GingaNutz.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
o_gamecockfan

My Server, I actually own the entire Dual 2.4ghz Xeon 2.5GB DDR 2100 and 100mbps fiber connection box. Im sure you guys have tons of offers but if you ever need another test server Ive got plenty of horsepower and bandwidth.

http://www.serverspy.net/site/search...7.37:27015&g=0

Drop on by Dark Realm while you wait for FF.
o_gamecockfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Thanks for the offer
If anyone has somethin' to offer us, you can always email us. We have a big list of people offering help for the moment we launch this shiiiiip.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #13
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
It will be so cool if FF release and we surpass CS
http://steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html
but it will also be a sad day for TFC
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #14
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I'd drop by Dark Realm but I can't stand "coded" maps. Need to find a nice server with decent admins running good maps without bots or silly mods. Gimme some pure, public TFC. I miss those days.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #15
o_gamecockfan

The coded stuff really doesnt make much difference its more of an effects thing.
A few transparent doors, packs, sound effects, and teleports which engineers can nade jump and build anyway.
Also we only run bots if the player count drops below 8 people which rarely happens.

heres the map cycle
(maps with * are not coded)
2fort
troy*
well
dustbowl
badlands
ksour*
casbah
thecove*
murderball*
shutdown2*
flagrun*
cornfield*
warpath
thekeep*
crossover2
rivrfort2*
avanti
o_gamecockfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #16
o_lchlucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockfan
My Server, I actually own the entire Dual 2.4ghz Xeon 2.5GB DDR 2100 and 100mbps fiber connection box. Im sure you guys have tons of offers but if you ever need another test server Ive got plenty of horsepower and bandwidth.

http://www.serverspy.net/site/search...7.37:27015&g=0

Drop on by Dark Realm while you wait for FF.
I currently have three (had 7 before) powerhouses currently.

Poweredge 2850 dual 3.2 with 64 bit OS, 6 gigs of ram, 2 arrays in raid 1 and raid 10 and overall 1 TB of space

Poweredge 2800 dual 3.2 64 bit, 4 gigs of ram 2 arrays in raid 1 and raid 5 with 3tb of space

Poweredge 2800 dual 3.0 64 bit 2 gigs of ram 1 array half TB in raid 5.

Had a couple faster ones but sold them as I didn't have the need for them any longer. I have fiber to the home but it does me no good when no light is shining through it. Eager for FF to come out though at least for some lan events.