no 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
o_dr.freeman

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Why Rap sux ass.

WHAT RAP IS

Rap is that distinct horrible music that you constantly hear at your highschool, or on the street if you live in a city, or on the radio, or on TV. It can be identifyed by the "drum" beat that continually loops over and over. Often, listeners of rap identify the quality of a rap "song" by how "phat" its beat is, or something like that.
Another major characteristic of rap, is the stupid ass fucking shitty lyrics that a bunch of "bad ass muthas" try to sing over the equally stupid ass fucking shitty drum machine and synthesizers. These lyrics are basically always about how they just busted a phat cap in their homeez azzes. Or about how "life is hard in the ghetto". Nobody fucking gives a shit how life is in the ghetto, last time I was in the ghetto my wallet got stolen, so shut the fuck up.

Other Shit I Hate About Rap

Theres lots of other stuff about rap I hate. For one thing, its the horrible glamorization of it and its "artists". For example, I'd like any rap fan out there to tell me who wrote the music to any rap song (and none of those fucking cheap puffy songs count, cause he always just uses other peoples music, thus ruining the original song because his new "lyrics" fucking suck). I mean who wrote the MUSIC, not the lyrics, which are written by the stupid ass rappers. I'll tell you who wrote the music, a bunch of people you've never heard of in your life, and never will, who know how to operate drum machines and computers. Basically, the rap "artist" asks them to make a real "phat" beat, they do so until its "phat" enough, then the rapper dubs in the lyrics over it. Ever notice that at rap "concerts" theres about 30 people in the background, aside from the fucking stupid rapper and the 90 backup dancers, that you've never seen in your life? Those would be the people I'm talking about. But of course, the rap "artist" always gets 100% credit for their new "song". However, I can tell you exactly who wrote both the lyrics and music to say, the Metallica song "The Call of Ktulu". The 4 (original) members of Metallica did, and they played the fucking song themselves, with actual instruments (REAL drums, for example). I would like to see any rap "artist" pick up any real instrument and do anything impressive with it. Oh but wait, I made a mistake, "The Call of Ktulu" doesn't have lyrics, because its whats called an instrumental song. Of course in the rap world, nobody knows what the hell that means. Theres no instrumental rap songs, cause they would be fucking boring as hell. And theres not a single rapper or rap fan who can appreciate the talent it took to record a song like The Call of Ktulu.
Another thing I hate, is the fucking stupid rap fans themselves. These are the people who always argue that rap is superior to metal and rock (or basically any other style of music) because all that kind of music is just noise. Or, for example, this person I know who wheres a sock on his head once said that Metallica is just about Satan, and its just grunting or something. Well for one thing, Metallica has never made one song glorifying Satan at all. That job is reserved for shitty goth bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel, and the fucking stupid ignorant rap fans get these bands confused with bands such as Metallica. They also often assume that all people who like Metallica, also like Korn, as if thats a rule. Metallica is one of my favorite, if not my favorite band, and I personally HATE Korn. Korn is just MTV's version of metal. All the stupid ass people at school who like Korn are those fucking dicks who think they are cool or something cause apparently liking Korn makes them different and strange, and therefore cool. Well, its a shame they are EXACTLY LIKE ALL THE OTHER KORN FANS, and so they aren't different at all. Of course, as much as I hate Korn and all those other shitty grunge bands that people get confused with Metallica, they all have about 300% more talent than any rapper.

Why MTV Also Sucks Ass

Well, theres a few reasons why MTV also sucks ass. For one thing, they have shows that have absoutly nothing to do with music, despite the fact MTV stands for Music Television. Shows like Road Rules and Real World. Seriously, is there any fucking difference between these two shows? Frankly, I dont give a fuck about a bunch of 20 year olds in a winabago, I dont give a fuck about Cindy's lesbianism, or how Carol is gonna react when she finds out Bob is gay. These shows are obviously fucking horrible and shouldn't be on MTV, but they show MARATHONS of them, I can't even count how many times I'm watching the Prevue channel and I see MTV come up, and it says 'Road Rules Marathon'. God, I don't fucking care! As if these two shows aren't bad enough, you then have all the other pointless annoying non-music related shows, like Daria, Loveline, and global dance party or whatever the fuck its called. What the hell is with that show, its always on at like 2 in the morning, I dunno about you, but if its 2 in the morning, and I'm in a situation where I'm watching TV, I dont want to fucking dance. And now we come to the music related shows that they DO have. About 99% of them are rap\pop shows. Like Jams countdown. Ooh yeah, gotta love those Jams, the same fucking ones over and over every god damn day, not that I would like them any more if they were new "jams" every day. And then theres TRL, thats real cool, I love it how the same fucking videos are shown every day because people just keep voting for the same ones. There isn't one rock related show on MTV anymore at all, there USED to be Mattrock, and that was pretty good sometimes (even though Matt Pinfeild has a raspy voice, "How**Abo**ut**Batt*ery!*") but it was on at 11pm and a lot of the time they cancelled it in favor of extra episodes of RoadRules or some shit. But of course now, Mattrock is totally gone. What MTV needs to do is: Get rid of ALL of the non-music related shows. And have at least 2 shows centered around music OTHER than rap\pop, like bring back Mattrock...

Dead Rappers

The Notorious F.A.T and Deadpac. You know who I'm talking about. Their fucking music is what killed them. If they weren't rappers they would still be alive, not that I would give a shit. The whole west side\east side thing, that whole fucking deal started cause of rap. Its fucking stupid, who gives a shit about the "east side" or "west side". God knows I dont. I dont think in the history of metal and rock any artist has ever been murdered. Except for John Lennon I suppose, but that had nothing to do with his music, the murderer was just insane. And then theres the people who claim Deadpac is still alive. Oh my fucking god, he is NOT still alive, would you still be alive if you got SHOT IN THE HEAD, no! Here is why I believe he is dead: murder ---> autopsy --> funeral.

Real Music

Real music is defined as: not fucking rap! Basically, I consider any music that isn't rap\pop\techno to be real music. Any music played with instruments is real music. I'm not saying I like ALL real music, but I'm saying it's a hell of a lot better than any rap. I like metal and "classic" rock. Like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix and Lynyrd Skynyrd. These are actual bands, these bands wrote their own music, played their own music, and it took a hell of a lot of talent to do it. And if your a rap fan, please don't try to argue that rap is better just cause of the 'rapping'. Who the hell cares if there isn't some gangster spitting out lyrics wicked fast, theres a lot more to good music than that. Oh and also, this isn't a racial thing at all, cause theres white rappers and I hate them just as much, and theres also black rock artists such as Jimi Hendrix, and I like him. Metallica of course, is still around, and has been since 1983, and they still kick ass. Black Sabbath has been around for almost 30 years, can you name one fucking rapper that lasts that long? Can you name one fucking rapper who has more than 2 or 3 successfull songs? I doubt it. Take Ricky Martin for example, he's not rap, but he's fucking glammy pop shit, do you think your still even gonna know who he is a year from now? Probably not... [/b]

Old 01-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
A healthy opinion. Too bad this isn't a music forum.

Well, no, you're probably better off. The flames you'll get here probably won't be as bad as the ones you'd get elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
o_skanky butterpuss

im not fucking reading all that shit.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I honestly doubt anyone will.

Freeman: www.myspace.com

Edit: I just realized, he made this a poll.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:51 AM   #5
o_deadly furby

Re: Why Rap sux ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Freeman
"life is hard in the ghetto". Nobody fucking gives a shit how life is in the ghetto, last time I was in the ghetto my wallet got stolen, so shut the fuck up.
Dear Dr.Freeman,

I formally and honorably request permissision for the usage of the above quote, at any time I deem necessary, in the not too distant future.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:02 AM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I can't believe I read the whole thing.

Jesus Christ, man, if you wanna rant, make some goddamned sense.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:24 AM   #7
o_yomamashouse

There is a reason why rap makes up 3/4 of crap and also why the word rock is used to describe something awesome.
Rap sumamrized in one sentence, some guy goes to the club and bangs his hoes while throwing money around.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:25 AM   #8
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Most rap music is a bag of wank. However, the same thing can be said of all music, just rap/rnb and some other musical genres are currently the most popular (or at least most played in the charts, so you tend to be exposed to it more and hate it more as a result; some of it is good though, IMO.

I just get fed up of listening to some guy rant on about his crib, material possessions and how many people he shot up when the chances are he's never shot anyone and it's all for show. There's plenty of rappers like Pac that have been involved in the violent side of it and, it could be argued, are rapping about their life / real events to some extent. However, these sorts of people usually fall on deaf ears with me, as I can't relate to anything they're saying. Oh, you pistol whipped a fat man and then fucked his bitch? That's most interesting, old bean. If every rapper that makes these claims was true to their word, more of them would be in jail. For every pac, biggie, suge knight and so on, there's probably five that haven't even done a fraction of what they're boasting about. (source - fictional rap statistics bureau, 2003.) It's listenable if the claims are blatantly farcical and over the top to the extent where it's basically a caricature portrait (see Eminem pushing all the buttons and doing a pretty good job of pissing off all of his targets, even if his latest stuff sucks), but if the rapper takes himself so seriously, it can just look a bit tragic. I guess it can be a little hard to see where music and reality meet. :P

I like diss tracks and tightly packed / funny lyrics. I dislike most of the popular stuff that's floating around. I'm no rap connoisseur, but I do appreciate some of it. It's not exactly my favourite genre, but hey.

Most of your argument is subjective. You either appreciate certain things, or you don't. There's not really much point in debating it :P

Btw, you slag off every part of rap music in broad terms, then unleash this:

Quote:
And theres not a single rapper or rap fan who can appreciate the talent it took to record a song like The Call of Ktulu.
Another thing I hate, is the fucking stupid rap fans themselves. These are the people who always argue that rap is superior to metal and rock (or basically any other style of music) because all that kind of music is just noise. Or, for example, this person I know who wheres a sock on his head once said that Metallica is just about Satan, and its just grunting or something.
It looks like you're as ill-informed as those people you're lashing out against, to be honest. You could replace what you just wrote with your own arguments about rap music and they'd read much the same.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 AM   #9
o_etzell

Quote:
Metallica of course, is still around, and has been since 1983, and they still kick ass.
Selling out and playing weak music because you want to be mainstream is about as far from kicking ass as you can get.
Quote:
Take Ricky Martin for example, he's not rap, but he's fucking glammy pop shit, do you think your still even gonna know who he is a year from now? Probably not... [/b]
Ricky Martin hasn't been popular for a few years, and I still know who he is. I'd say chances are I will a year from now. So, take that.
Quote:
For example, I'd like any rap fan out there to tell me who wrote the music to any rap song
Tell me who invented the guitar, the drums, microphones, everything a rock band uses... OH WAIT.
Quote:
These are the people who always argue that rap is superior to metal and rock (or basically any other style of music) because all that kind of music is just noise.
What, you mean like you who is currently arguing that rock/metal is better than rap? "Dear Kettle: You are black. Love, Pot"
Quote:
The whole west side\east side thing, that whole fucking deal started cause of rap.
Yeah, gangwarfare stems from rap. Thanks for being just like every ignorant parent who thinks that videogames cause violence. Good call.
Quote:
I dont think in the history of metal and rock any artist has ever been murdered.
Dimebag. Fucking. Darrell.
Quote:
Real music is defined as: not fucking rap! Basically, I consider any music that isn't rap\pop\techno to be real music.
Better throw out any music that you have that has a synthesizer in it, because synthesizers aren't instruments. OH WAIT, THERE GOES ANYTHING FROM THE 80s!

Anyone else, feel free to pick Freeman apart, I just skimmed his rant and found this.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:01 AM   #10
o_kam

Quite a generalisation on rap indeed. Judging from your other posts, this was a copy/paste from some other 15 years olds post.

Quote:
I dont think in the history of metal and rock any artist has ever been murdered.
Along with Dimebag, there's the black metal murders in the early 90s.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:08 AM   #11
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
Oh, you pistol whipped a fat man and then fucked his bitch? That's most interesting, old bean.
Classic.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #12
o_skanky butterpuss

an excellent post there, etzell, but i must disagree with

Quote:
Tell me who invented the guitar, the drums, microphones, everything a rock band uses... OH WAIT.

the thing in question here is not the origin of the "crappy drum machines and synthesizers" (more on that in a bit) or any instruments for that matter, but the actual musical "talent" behind the rap groups. who actually writes the music? the drum beats, saw wave sequences (that laffy taffy song) etc. are generally written by the record producers, not the artists themselves.

in no way am i defending freeman here, although i do not like any rap music. however, i would like to make the distinction between rap and hip hop here. i will not pretend to be some sort of expert on anything, nor will i rant about like a high school kid who wears a chain wallet and combs his hair in front of his eyes, but i would like to make it clear that not all music with rapping is intellectually devoid. hip hop artists offer perspectives on social problems in lieu of rhyming words to make a song comparing a part of a womans body to some sort of food item. tupac and the like were not trying to make it big to get the money and the hoes, they were trying to educate, in their own way, the general public on life in the ghettos of america.

there is more to this, but im just not up to the challenge of typing it all out.

P.S. as far as synthesizers and drum machines go, it takes as much talent and practice to master those instruments as it does to master any other instrument. they get a bad rap because the majority of the popular uses of them are the equivalent of power chord abuse, but for every 10 fuckwads that program the generic -kick-hat-snare-hat-repeat-, there is a master. is the guitar a shitty instrument because the majoirty of popular musicians play nothing but power chords? no.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #13
o_darknight

Lmao - he even has no idea about the subject he is arguing for. Google Mayhem, for a start... Actually, got a linky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_%28band%29

And if your still stuck... Read below.

Quote:
Some people seem to think that Vikernes was jealous of Euronymous's "evil reputation", but that's just pure speculation. One morning he traveled along with Blackthorn (of the band Thorns) to Euronymous's apartment. There he stabbed Euronymous to death with a knife. The autopsy revealed that Euronymous had suffered twenty-three stab wounds: two to the head, five to the neck, and sixteen to the back.
And no-one's even said anything yet about the whole sacrificial acts things performed by a minority of these type of (death/black metal) bands fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Freeman
Metallica...Metallica...Metallica...Metallica
Looks like someones found themself their first metal band too...

Old 01-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #14
o_puppychow

this thread can be ended here:

rap DOES suck

intelligent hip hop does not.

if you don't know the difference between hip hop and rap then i can't help you.

although, however, guitars for the win anyday.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #15
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
FREEMAN, YOU'RE FOR REAL? oh wait

although i agree that a lot of the rap/hip hop these days is based around stuff that never actually happened (contradicting the origins of the genre)

Quote:
rap "artist" always gets 100% credit for their new "song".
thats not true. look inside the cover

Quote:
I would like to see any rap "artist" pick up any real instrument and do anything impressive with it.
yeah theres plenty. i cannot name any of them though offhand. i do have friends at college that play instruments and listen to that sort of music however

Quote:
These are the people who always argue that rap is superior to metal and rock (or basically any other style of music) because all that kind of music is just noise.
much like this thread, really?

Quote:
Well, theres a few reasons why MTV also sucks ass. For one thing, they have shows that have absoutly nothing to do with music, despite the fact MTV stands for Music Television.
yeah, MTV started out as music only, but they realised just playing music 24/7 made them no different to any other music channel, so they put entertainment shows in there. look at them now, by far the best music television network there, and still have good shows on top.

Quote:
Dr.Freeman wrote:

Dimebag. Fucking. Darrell.
couldnt think of a better example, how didnt you think of this when making this godforsaken thread?

really, this was a rather hypocritical thread. you have a couple of points in how rap these days isnt true to the genre, but that seemed to overwhelmed by your pure hatred of anything not metal.

and just so you know, metallica are rather mainstream for what i listen to. i listen to the likes of "in flames" "arch enemy" and "children of bodom", but even they are breaking out onto kerrang and such. if you want me to dig deeper in my bag of death metal bands, i have kalmah, imperanon, illnath, and asmegin (the latter of which dont even speak english). want some more?

Old 01-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #16
o_fathom

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/rapsucks1/

I can copy and paste too!

Old 01-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #17
o_salty milkshake

Wow I wouldn't be so keen to put my name to such a retarded ramble, even if I agreed with it. Well played

So hip-hop is anything that you may happen to like and anything you don't is rap? How convenient....

Old 01-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #18
o_anshinritsumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
Quote:
"life is hard in the ghetto". Nobody fucking gives a shit how life is in the ghetto, last time I was in the ghetto my wallet got stolen, so shut the fuck up.
Dear Dr.Freeman,

I formally and honorably request permissision for the usage of the above quote, at any time I deem necessary, in the not too distant future.
I also request this.

On a side note, I also request permission to use your entire rant (with or without credit to you is your decision) in any way or place I deem at any time.

Signed,
-Anshinritsumai

Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #19
o_ivaqual

As much as I hate rap, this rant is hardly much more than overgeneralizations and flat-out lies. Nobody has been murdered in the history of metal and rock ? Please.

The constant ranting about how much metal and rock is superior to rap doesn't help much, either. If you know so much about music, why didn't you mention a single jazz artist or classical composer ?
Furthermore, many opinions are advanced as actual arguments (band x kicks ass, this other sucks, etc..)
This rant doesn't hold much content and only a few of its arguments are really useable. If you want to to criticize rap, please do so, but intelligently. You could have mentioned how repetitive and overly simplistic compositions are, or how the rap culture can be destructive. Why not simply talk about the intellectual and musical honesty/integrity of the artists you mentioned ? Your arguments rarely go beyond binarisation and purely subjective views stated as arguments (this is bad; this is good). Also, as it has been said, the same arguments could be used by either side.

Your "essay" is an example of nihilism in argumentation and holds no valid content at all. Try again.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #20
o_salty milkshake

He didn't write it though did he, he just nicked it from some Maddox wannabe.

Except Maddox wouldn't have written anything like this.

Most of the criticisms levelled against rap could be used again other forms of music, it's just that some of you don't like rap.

I can't help but put a lot of the attitiudes in this thread and others like it down to the racism that exists on this forum, from a large proportion of its American users.

Closed Thread