Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Couple things.

How fast should I be bhopping as solly? I notice that on the little speed thing I get an average of around 380-390 peaking up into the low 4 hundreds mid strafe.

Also what is with the splash radius on the RL? I realize that at it's max radius it only does like 2 (self) damage. But that is still just rediculous. I would much rather have a smaller radius than do a cheap 2-4 dmg at such a range. I almost find it equally insulting as a soldier as it should be to classes playing against him.
Edit: It's not so bad. But it really does feel a little to large.

Also how exactly does the conc aim mechanic work? I'm told in older versions that the cross hair just moved around but your aim stayed center. But that doesn't seem to be the case? Does your aim actually move around or is it still centered?

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 11-15-2011 at 06:34 AM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
The bhop soft cap is 140% of the classes runspeed. A soldier's runspeed is 240, which makes the soft cap 336 speed. However, above the soft cap, speed degenerates over time (by 65% each time you land) rather than your speed getting set to the bhop cap. This makes the true "bhop cap" rather hard to give a definitive answer for. There is, however, a hard cap (the "skim cap", added in 2.1) set at 180% of your classes runspeed. If you land while moving faster than that, your speed is instantly set to the hard cap.

The rocket radius is currently 108 units. Rocket radius has changed almost every patch, so it's not unlikely that it'll be changed again. By the way, players only do 2/3 damage to themselves (which is carried over from TFC).

Conc aim moves your screen but not your true aim. This means that if you get conced, don't move your mouse at all, and shoot multiple times, your bullets/projectiles will all hit the same exact spot. It's always really confusing to explain and most people, even if they know how to concaim, get it wrong. This video does a good job of showing how it actually works:

The mechanics of conc aim have never changed in FF, although in previous patches it still drew a crosshair in the center of your screen while conced (a crosshair that lied to you and that you needed to ignore to shoot accurately). In this latest patch, we made it so your trueaim crosshair flashes after you shoot in the hopes that it'd make it easier for new players to figure out what's going on while not making it much easier to shoot accurately before you master it.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 11-15-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Skim cap is actually 180%, not 200%
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Thanks a billion. Gonna go conc around and practice my aim. :P
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote