Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Youtube cracking down on copyrighted music

Youtube has been cracking down on copyrighted music, and its getting worse.

On one of my videos I used a 10 second click from Bach, and some music site filed a complaint with youtube. Bach is in the public domain, he has been dead over 200 years. The sound track had been downloaded off of limewire, so I do not know "exactly" who made the song. I do not know how that website thinks that they owned that song when it is so popular. And, anyone can use the original musical score to make the song.

I started to file an objection to the copyright claim, but if I did, and youtube decided against me, my account would be deleted. So I just took down the 3 videos. I still have the original video clips, I will just remake the video without the music.

If this had been a Creed, or metalica song it would not have any big deal. But anyone can take Bachs music and use it. So how did that site "know" that they had made the 10 second clip I used?

How it was going to work, those videos were getting hundreds of views. By filing a copyright claim, that site could put a banner next to my video. In other words, that site bullied youtube into putting one of their banners next to my video because of 10 seconds of a 200+ year old musical score.

I have no problem with copyright issues. But when it comes to a song that the company can not prove they made, then I have a problem.

===================

how does this affect you?

If you make a video for fortress forever, either use royalty free music, or use the audio swap feature in your youtube control panel. To swap the audio, click the edit video link, and then look for "audio swap."

I know of at least 1 popular FF video that had the audio disabled because it used copyrighted material.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
They've also recently disabled one of my FF videos too: Fortress Forever - The Medic. That's now the third video they've muted of mine. WNG is being a... baby about it. If they finally find my UnKnown Moments and mute it, oh well. That's why there are other sites such as Vimeo. If I have to switch video sites because music companies want to be a baby about their music being used, fine. They should've been grateful I credited them in my videos anyway.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
~kev~
pmagnvs

CaLeB-, that is why I started using the audio swap feature on Koreys videos. I'll go into the audio swap feature and find a song that matches what the video will be about. I'll then make the video about the same length as the song, upload the video, make it private and swap the audio.

When the audio swap process is finished, I'll make the video public.

The bad thing, it can sometimes take 24+ hours for the audio to be swapped. One video I uploaded, it must have taken around 3 days for the audio track to get put on the video.

For my personal (non gaming videos) I stopped using music tracks all together. I used to use a 10 second intro clip, but I stopped doing that several months ago.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
Bach or any other classical music (that has the author has died over 50 years ago) is public domain.. if it is remixed it may have a copy right on it. so as long as the bach song isnt remixed you should win the dispute thingy
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nF3D4L View Post
Bach or any other classical music (that has the author has died over 50 years ago) is public domain.. if it is remixed it may have a copy right on it. so as long as the bach song isnt remixed you should win the dispute thingy
I have more to lose then the website that filed the complaint does.

If my youtube account got deleted, I would lose about 6,000 - 7,000 people monthly to my forums. Because that is how many people my youtube channel sends to my survival forum every 30 days. Youtube sends my forum almost as much traffic as Yahoo.

And, I am a youtube partner, meaning my google adsense account and my youtube account are tied together.

If I disputed the claim, I figure youtube would side with that website just to be on the safe side. And if I lost the dispute, my account gets deleted.

Its easier to take down the video and remix it without the music. and, its less stress on me.

But it really ticks me off that someone can put a claim on my video with no proof or evidence.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
This is why all of us are laughing at the record studios. They're seriously going down hill and they're making every attempt to cling to the power they once held, while watching it all slip through their fingers slowly. Nobody feels sorry for them, especially now since they're handling all this shit the wrong way. Like seriously how do you fight the public? You really can't win. They have to learn to adapt and change with times, and they can't seem to understand this.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
I always found songs i havent heard of on youtube and id find out the band and download a few songs and maybe get the album.. either way they got one more peson who would go to a show.. its just another form of advertisement..
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Yeah I do the same

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
They took one of mine too. It had a 20+ year old song that at most they are making a few bucks from it each year.

It pissed me off. All they had to do was ask me to provide a link to their song for people to be able to buy it and I would have put it up.

Its free advertising for them cause many people who had heard the song with my video had not even been born when that song came out.

The RIAA/MPAA are killing themselves and blaming everyone else for their own failure.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I can understand when credit isn't given because it's just plain thoughtless/lazy.

I'd have thought you're likely to be let off if you put the track/record label in the description or vid...I guess not.

Edit: Who puts the iTunes links in? YouTube or the vid account holder?
Because FF - Stayin' Alive has one.:

It's good to see that again, lovin' the unexpected tracks.

Last edited by Paft; 02-08-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft View Post
I can understand when credit isn't given because it's just plain thoughtless/lazy.

I'd have thought you're likely to be let off if you put the track/record label in the description or vid...I guess not.

Edit: Who puts the iTunes links in? YouTube or the vid account holder?
Because FF - Stayin' Alive has one.:
If you use the "Audio Swap" feature youtube puts a link where you can buy the song.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I watched a bunch of your vids many months a go. I'm not a survival hobbiest, and don't particularly have an interest in that stuff, but I did enjoyed watching them. So I subscribed to you survivalistboards TY channel as to not to forget about them. Can watch them when I'm bored.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
maximi
pie
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Haha strange.. Youtube says 'This video is not available in your country or domain.' to Stayin' Alive vid.. Just watched it about month ago o_O
Like first video to say that..
maximi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
OneManArmy
Ka-boom!

Class/Position: Demo, Solly, Pyro
Same to me
OneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Works for me. U sure you are using the US version of Youtube?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximi View Post
Haha strange.. Youtube says 'This video is not available in your country or domain.' to Stayin' Alive vid.. Just watched it about month ago o_O
Like first video to say that..
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManArmy View Post
Same to me
Who knows, it could anything from copyright issues to the video showing acts of violence.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

The recording of Bach is likely copyrighted. Just because the music itself isn't, the musician(s) who recorded it still have copyright of that recording.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
The recording of Bach is likely copyrighted. Just because the music itself isn't, the musician(s) who recorded it still have copyright of that recording.

There must be a billion records of Bach out there. Someone must be really bored to try and fingerprint a particular version. Like "Hay that's the Boston philharmonic in September or 1997." "Wait no it's not! That is the London philharmonic at Prince Albert Hall in 1989."
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

I originally found a video montage of aHa singing "take on me"... it was a spoof on the video rather than the real words. I liked it a lot so I put a copy up myself. Someone made a claim on it and I had to take it down.

Now I cant find the video anywhere on youtube. Which seems a bit stupid to me. It was a great salute to an 80's song and now it is gone. Thus the kudos to the original band is now gone.

Good jorb guys. Good jorb.

Perhaps now is a good time to switch over to http://blip.tv/
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
I know that - this is not the issue.

How does someone "know" that they are the one that made the soundtrack that I used? The song was downloaded from limeware. So its a possibility that any music company or person could have made that certain mp3. Out of the thousands of people that have remade the music of Bach, prove that one person made the song that I used.

If you made something, and its exactly the same as what thousands of other people have made, how do you know which one is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft View Post
I watched a bunch of your vids many months a go. I'm not a survival hobbiest, and don't particularly have an interest in that stuff, but I did enjoyed watching them. So I subscribed to you survivalistboards TY channel as to not to forget about them. Can watch them when I'm bored.
Thank you for subscribing..

Tags
copyright, youtube