Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
fireb0rn

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Running FF on a terrible computer, looking to upgrade

ok, so I've got a pretty bad computer and want to run FF but can't really.

anyways, here's a clip from my dxdiag for my computer specs:

Quote:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/12/2008, 20:01:53
Machine name: RAY-E6B86EC54BB
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA694
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.3GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 295MB used, 4165MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
what I'm wondering are two things, basically:

1) if I upgrade my processor to something decent, would FF run at a constant FPS on the lowest graphic settings? (I don't care about graphics)

2) is it even possible to upgrade my processor?

I run at a good FPS when I'm in games by myself or with only a few people on some maps, but once there's more than a couple of people I usually go right down to 10-12FPS and sometimes the screen freezes for a second or two during explosions.

I don't really care about any new games other than FF so I don't want to spend money on a new computer unless I have to. My computer runs pretty well despite how old it is and I don't foresee it crapping out anytime in the future.

I'm guessing more information might be needed to know if I can upgrade my old POS processor but I have no clue what that information would be, so just post and tell me what to look for and I'll do it.

thanks
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Zatoichi

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_500_pc_build_off
tbh if you can afford, say $500, i would do something like the first guy in this article did..just reuse your case optical and hard drives..might be able to get away with a $350-$400 pc that plays FF alot better than your current setup. def stick with a nvidia 8class or ati equivalent..and DEF upgrade your PS dont skimp.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
and you'll like the graphics once you upgrade. and you'll be able to play other good PC games too.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I wouldn't upgrade the CPU. You'd be better served with a new system. I would not reuse the case unless you're sure that the thermal flow-through is good in it for all components that need it. I would, likewise, not reuse the drives either. If they're as old as your CPU and video card then you will be crippling the system.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Yeah, unfortunately every computer has a fixed lifespan - i had to bite the bullet a couple of months ago and spend some money for a completely new system. There's only so much performance you can get from upgrading your cpu in small increments (your mobo won't be compatible with newer cpu's), and at some point it isn't economical either. Some of the classic "upgrade" processors, ie the last in a series that older motherboards can handle, are lots more expensive than newer cpus with much higher performance.

I'd compare some prices and all that, but it might be a good idea to follow Zatoichi's advice. If you choose your components wisely, you can build yourself a cheap system capable of handling most of the new stuff quite well.

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
fireb0rn

alright, thanks guys. looks like it'll be a while before I actually get to play FF then. oh well
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Zatoichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
I wouldn't upgrade the CPU. You'd be better served with a new system. I would not reuse the case unless you're sure that the thermal flow-through is good in it for all components that need it. I would, likewise, not reuse the drives either. If they're as old as your CPU and video card then you will be crippling the system.
i totally agree with the case..make sure it has enough air flow and its long enough to accommodate the looooooong vid cards we are seeing today. but as far as reusing drives..if the mobo has an ide interface..the optical would be fine..and rarely is the ide bandwidth totally consumed..he is obviously a casual user, and not someone who is going to notice a difference.the only thing that i can think of is that games will take longer to load than with sata. but drives are coming down in price and he could get a decent capacity sata drive for relatively cheap. i guess it all depends on his budget.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi
i totally agree with the case..make sure it has enough air flow and its long enough to accommodate the looooooong vid cards we are seeing today. but as far as reusing drives..if the mobo has an ide interface..the optical would be fine..and rarely is the ide bandwidth totally consumed..he is obviously a casual user, and not someone who is going to notice a difference.the only thing that i can think of is that games will take longer to load than with sata. but drives are coming down in price and he could get a decent capacity sata drive for relatively cheap. i guess it all depends on his budget.
One thing I've pointed out in other threads is that the solitary IDE port on some of the new boards do not properly handle ATAPI devices. There is an issue with the joint use controller that causes IDE optical drives to hang. In Vista...that CD-ROM hang will commonly yield a BSOD and core dump...I've heard of the same in XP but have not seen it personally....Vista I can vouch for.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Zatoichi

odd ive never had that happen..im using vista ultimate,,sata hdd, and an ide dvd burner.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi
odd ive never had that happen..im using vista ultimate,,sata hdd, and an ide dvd burner.
What motherboard and chipset are you using? Apparently this has been a known issue for some time on newer boards using a Jmicron or Marvell controllers for the IDE port. ATAPI operations are problematic to be sure. Google "P35 atapi problem" if you're interested. You can follow the path from there.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
I'm in a similar boat. I've got an Athlon XP 2000, half as much RAM, and a similar video card (GF4 TI 4200) and I can run FF a little better than that. It takes lots of spam to get me running that slow. I'd say you're definitely CPU-limited, and can turn up some of the settings if you want. Also make sure you don't have any other programs running when you play. The fact that the screen's freezing up might mean that there's some other process interfering with the game.

You can upgrade your CPU to a point, if you want to spend $50 or so. I *think* the processors on this page would work: http://www.pricewatch.com/microproce...on_xp_2400.htm . These are 1.93GHz where yours is 1.3GHz. There are faster CPUs that use the same "Socket A" interface but I don't know if your motherboard will support them.

However I hate to recommend spending money on an upgrade that's basically a dead-end, especially if you don't see that great an improvement. You'll get a lot more for your money building or buying a new system. It doesn't have to be top of the line.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Any socket A CPU would work afaik. But if you're still running socket A, upgrade your entire system. It's like putting a new engine in a rust bucket.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote