Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Clan practice

Something strange happened last night, The EO clan was getting ready to practice and asked all the non-members to leave.

Why is that strange?

Back in the day, if a clan server was full and the clan wanted to practice, all the non-members joined one team (or were moved to one team by the admin) and all the clan members joined the other team.

This provided the clan a chance to practice against fresh meat.

When a clan only plays against their selves, they improve very little. They already know the offensive and defensive strategies. Playing against fresh people provides the chance for the clan to put their strategies to a test.

I would have liked the chance to go against some EO clan members in 2fort5dev, but noooo - I was asked to leave.

Its ok, I would have asked me to leave to. EO clan would have been embrassed when I handed their A$$e$ back to them on a silver platter.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
hi, this is not the place to complain...

but anyways. when a clan practices...it means coming up with strategies without any interruptions (this include pubbers), not to play against pubbers who have no clue what they're doing

eO should get a private server for scrims/matches/practice so they could stop killing the server all the time

Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
your sadly mistaken....half the the pubbers that play this game are very "fresh" meat as you put it...thats exactly it....I lead a clan called Goodfellas...maybe you heard of them..maybe not...but goodfellas generally practice against each other regardless if we know the strategy or not...its all about learning your concs....knowing what to do in each situation...whether dm or conc or bhop or whatever the case may be...

I am quite sure eO doesn't want practice against a team whether they are noobs or not. For the most part its disorganized and quite simply they just dont get anything out of it...

I am not sure what clan you play for (if you even play for one) but you are mistaken bro.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
tml
make it rain

No it's not like that. You cant expect them to play a bunch of pubbers using their strategy. Pubbing and competitive gameplay are two different worlds and to have a clan practice against pubbers would not help one bit.

edit : beaten

Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTiger
hi, this is not the place to complain...
Its not a complaint, I just do not understand why I see these clans practice only with their selves.

Standard operating procedure should be - develop the defensive and offensive strategies. Then test these strategies on pubs before a real match. Public / non-clan players can help test for holes in the strategies before it really counts - such as a real clan match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml
No it's not like that. You cant expect them to play a bunch of pubbers using their strategy. Pubbing and competitive gameplay are two different worlds and to have a clan practice against pubbers would not help one bit.
No their not, one is organized one is dis-organized game play.

Clans need to test their game play with different styles of strategy. Playing the same thing over and over get you no where.

Last edited by ~kev~; 04-10-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
tml
make it rain

40 or not the point is that its way easier/more efficient to practice against your own teammates because they will LISTEN and play positions and in most cases are alot better than pubbers, so better practice

Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml
40 or not the point is that its way easier/more efficient to practice against your own teammates because they will LISTEN and play positions and in most cases are alot better than pubbers, so better practice
Maybe you didnt read my first post? It clearly stated - clan on one team, non clan on the other team.

So were does listen and play positions come into factor with that?

Turn all talk off so the clan can only talk between their selves.

Theories have to be tested by an independent source to be proven right or wrong. Playing with the same people over and over again does not inject new ideas or new strategies into the practice. So the game play is not being truely tested.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
yo listen bro./...its simply a waste of time to play against pubbers....if anything just use your valuable time to play offense vs defense with the clan...

having such a talented clan i would prefer nothing more then to OvD within my own clan being that would be our best efforts to emulate a 5v5 match.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
~kev~
pmagnvs

Example:

Last night a scout kept trying to conc jump to the top of the elevator in the ramp room. I just put a despensor in the door way, which blocked his path. As soon as he conced, the sentry gun would take him out. He got by one time after the despensor was destroyed. His strategy was flawed, but he kept trying and trying - and he failed over and over. It was if that was the only strategy he had. Not once did he conc through the grate, or to the top of the snipers deck. There were 3 different paths he could have taken, but was focused on only one.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Drunken Zealot

I don't like seeing one or two servers with people in them and passworded when there's nowhere else to go either. However, it is their server and they can practice how they want to. They would probably still lock it sometimes even if they did decide to hold public practices.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Suite307

Don't know where you got that idea, but all the clans i've been in since 1998 had always have private practice.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnytheBoss
yo listen bro./...its simply a waste of time to play against pubbers....
First - I am not your bro

Second - I am a loner, I do not play in clans. Been there done that, it aint for me.

Third - I promise, I will not waste your time.

Its not fair to the good players for "clan members" to group all "pubs" together.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
tml
make it rain

Okay so you played some crappy ass scout that didnt learn. Still doesn't get away from the fact that 5v5'ing against pubbers wont emulate a match, it would be too easy

Old 04-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml
Still doesn't get away from the fact that 5v5'ing against pubbers wont emulate a match, it would be too easy
Ok, I am calling you on that.

What clan are you in TML? You are being challenged.

Give me a few days to pick the "pub" players I want on my team.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
Drunken Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
Example:

Last night a scout kept trying to conc jump to the top of the elevator in the ramp room. I just put a despensor in the door way, which blocked his path. As soon as he conced, the sentry gun would take him out. He got by one time after the despensor was destroyed. His strategy was flawed, but he kept trying and trying - and he failed over and over. It was if that was the only strategy he had. Not once did he conc through the grate, or to the top of the snipers deck. There were 3 different paths he could have taken, but was focused on only one.
There's a lot more to the average gamer than winning at any cost. It sounds like he may have been trying to overcome your defenses rather than actually going for the flag. It's fun to keep at something to see if you can end up beating it.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
3.3. Do NOT make threads whining/complaining about how server XYZ is lame because it banned you. If you have issues with specific servers, take it up in with those individual server operators.
/thread
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader