Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 03-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
Need an RPG

Kinda burned out on FPS at the moment and fixing to go back to my true love gaming wise, RPG's, however, for the PC platform don't see much out there.

Anything released in the last 12 months that knocked your socks off?

Oh, and offline only.

Thanks!
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'd like to try a good rpg too, if that exists. But I doubt it...
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Well, there aren't very many RPGs that come straight to PC, most of them go to consoles/hand helds. If you have a PSP, I suggest trying the remake of Final Fantasy Tactics, FFT: War of the Lions, the original was amazing, but this remake has really made my PSP worth it. Also Crysis Core will be coming out soon to PSP and is a remake of FF7 from the perspective of Zack, supposed to be pretty good as well. FF13 will be out sooner or later...it's supposed to be really good.

It just really depends on what you have, if you only have a PC then you have slim pickings.

Last edited by Rutabeggar; 03-25-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
MightyLotu

nvm wrong games..

Last edited by MightyLotu; 03-25-2008 at 08:02 PM.
MightyLotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Oblivion is a pretty good single PC game if you haven't played that. It's not new or anything and I think there's an expansion for it out already. But it's a pretty kick ass game.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Pebbles

the sims
Pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
Oblivion is a pretty good single PC game if you haven't played that. It's not new or anything and I think there's an expansion for it out already. But it's a pretty kick ass game.
Oblivion is probably your best bet, great game. Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege are another couple that aren't bad. I don't know if Guild Wars has an offline mode but if it does than that'd be good. Only remember playing when it first came out some years ago and was fun but stopped cause I don't have time.

Could also try some single player games like BioShock or The Witcher for a change. Otherwise you'll have to go console route or download an emulator and get some roms.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
Kinda burned out on FPS at the moment and fixing to go back to my true love gaming wise, RPG's, however, for the PC platform don't see much out there.

Anything released in the last 12 months that knocked your socks off?

Oh, and offline only.

Thanks!
Ditto.

Uhm, I'm installing Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader as we speak, it's pretty good, made by black Isle studios, and pretty sure it's just what you're looking for.

There's another one, pretty old though, called Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood that was really really really fun to play, see if you can get your hands on it.

EDIT: Robin Hood: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...summary;review

Last edited by FrenchToast; 03-25-2008 at 11:58 PM.
FrenchToast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
[ Fable: The Lost Chapters ]
It may be old, you may have played it; but at least it will hold some semblance of entertainment, if only for a few hours at a time. I come back to it now and again when I'm burnt out on other games (notably FPS titles as well).

[ The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion ]
Someone else already said it, and I'd agree with it. Yet another title that's a bit older, but still a good single player experience. It's got 2 expansions; Knights of the Nine, and The Shivering Isle; but the real meat and potatoes of both Morrowind and Oblivion, is the custom content... so many ways to play the game...

[ Diablo II: The Lord of Destruction ]
Obviously a ye olde title, but still good none the less. I just reinstalled this the other day as it's the only game my piece of shit broken down computer will play aside from Solitaire.

I don't really know of any good RPG titles on the PC, like others have said; but these are some of the more popular titles, and I would certainly play them.
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
They ever gonna come out with a Diablo 3? I seriously hope they do I love the Diablo games.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
They ever gonna come out with a Diablo 3? I seriously hope they do I love the Diablo games.
It's most likely what project Hydra is.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

I couldn't stand Oblivion...a rat you fight at level 1 levels up with you so when you are at level 30 that same rat is hard as fuck...i couldn't stand the leveling schemes with oblivion..i know there are mods out there but i admittedly do not have the patience to mess with them.

i mean isn't that the draw with rpg's? venture into a new area and get your ass smacked down and determine that you need to work to level up and get new uber equipment? Then being finally able to best that foe who once owned you is the payoff..

all of that was absent for me in Oblivion. Maybe I missed something.

but yeah, count me in with those who loved the diablo series..for all the bad talk about the incessent clicking, that was kinda the draw for me. good times.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #13
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
That's the same thing that made Oblivion a bore to me. I could kill the same minotaur at level 1 . The game was all about how rad-ass your equipment was for your level, which is retarded.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #14
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
I couldn't stand Oblivion...a rat you fight at level 1 levels up with you so when you are at level 30 that same rat is hard as fuck...i couldn't stand the leveling schemes with oblivion..i know there are mods out there but i admittedly do not have the patience to mess with them.

i mean isn't that the draw with rpg's? venture into a new area and get your ass smacked down and determine that you need to work to level up and get new uber equipment? Then being finally able to best that foe who once owned you is the payoff..

all of that was absent for me in Oblivion. Maybe I missed something.

but yeah, count me in with those who loved the diablo series..for all the bad talk about the incessent clicking, that was kinda the draw for me. good times.
Are you guys referring to when the game first came out? I just played it a couple months ago with the latest updates and I've never accounted anything of the sorts. I mainly did all the side quests and parts of the main quest (logged at least a good 70 hours into it) and everything was fine except it crashed every 10 minutes on me for no reason so I'd have to save every time I went to a new area.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #15
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

I played it on 360 and looooooved it.

That's my story.

I think I might have cheated the system a bit. My main skills are like Sneak and stuff 'cause I wanted to be a thief. However, I found magic more to my liking early on, so while I have badass sneak and I'm an awesome thief, I killed everyone with destruction magic, which wasn't one of my main skills. 'Cause of that my character is level 13 but he's beaten everything in the game and has level 97 destruction... I never had problems killing enemies.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
How much work are you willing to go through for good RPGs? Most of the worthwhile ones are old, and extraordinarily difficult to find.

Let's see...

CRPGs I highly recommend:
  • Fallout
  • Fallout 2
  • Fallout: Tactics (it wasn't that bad honestly)
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura *
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn
  • Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (only if you really like D&D)
  • Planescape: Torment **
  • Knights of the Old Republic (I or II)
  • Gothic (I or II) ***
  • The Witcher ***
  • Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines

* I could go on and on and on about this game. The only CRPG to ever have actually affected my perception of it through in-game events. I'd love to be more specific, but I don't want to spoil it. Suffice to say I absolutely adore this game.

** I really need to find my CDs for this and give it another go.

*** Haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
I think I might have cheated the system a bit. My main skills are like Sneak and stuff 'cause I wanted to be a thief. However, I found magic more to my liking early on, so while I have badass sneak and I'm an awesome thief, I killed everyone with destruction magic, which wasn't one of my main skills. 'Cause of that my character is level 13 but he's beaten everything in the game and has level 97 destruction... I never had problems killing enemies.
No, you played it like you should have. The levelling system is... well, broken. Badly. There's all there is to it, haha. If you'd majored in magic and used those skills to level up, you'd get thrown around like a ragdoll more often than not, because no matter what your major skills are, when you level up, so do enemies, and their focus is combat.

I never level up as soon as I get a new level. I wait until the current enemies aren't difficult anymore.

For what it's worth, I've logged a good 300 hours into Oblivion with dozens of characters. Two MQ completions, every sidequest completed, every expansion completed. I've done everything there is to do in the game and I still play it. So, I dunno. I acknowledge its brokenness, I acknowledged that it could have been a fuckton better, but it's still good.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #17
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

ahh Arcanum - I think the first night I got it I spent 4-5 hours just messing with char customizations before ever even playing..incredible.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 AM   #18
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Oh, at least. So many options, dude. Have you beaten it already?

The ending is, admittedly, just a little disappointing.

I've spent 4-5 hours making characters in Oblivion but that's only because FaceGen is a bitch and I'm a perfectionist.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 AM   #19
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I never finished Arcanum but it was damned interesting. Love love loved the Fallout games.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 AM   #20
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Yeah I wasn't aware of the leveling scheme, so I decided to make a mage and just kick serious ass, but it fell apart. I made every magic discipline a major skill, and then leveled the really lame way (Create a spell that costs 1 magicka and just use over and over and over) so that by the time I started the main quest I was level 30 something, and it took me 10 minutes and all my potions to kill an imp.

That's when I realized I'd fucked up.