Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 12-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
PSchluns

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Linux - No HUD/No Icons/No Crosshairs

Hello,

I'm running under Ubuntu 7.10 combined with Wine 0.9.46. I've got the game working including the sounds, but I still cannot see HUD elements nor crosshairs. Looks like they're not loaded from their .ttf files. I

I've browsed the internet for similar issues, and dug up a few threads that didn't help(wray.justin's thread on this issue helped me solve a part of my problem).
Tried to replace them with original HL truetypes, as well as custom from the internet. None of which worked.

Has anyone got any ideas, or is there already a solution available?

p.s. I'm currently using an 0 with a + inside as a crosshair, which is ok for the moment. But I'm still missing a real crosshair and most important the HUDs.

regards,
PSchluns.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
own3r
Custom mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
First thing to try is updating Wine to 0.9.51
Second thing to try is to put the fonts in the c:\windows\fonts directory.

Report back if anything works, I will give it a shot as well and report any success.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
PSchluns

Hello again,

I can gladly report back that FF works (almost) as it should under Wine 0.9.51. Disabling HUDfont.ttf in the FF\resources directory is still a must though if you want to get any further than to the loading screen. However crosshairs and HUDs now work as they should.

[edit] ive to redraw my statement it does not yet work as intended. the game keeps freezing after a while, and the program doesnt recognize whether ive headphones plugged in or not. sound adjusting isnt possible either when youre ingame, which probably has to do with the wine sound settings.
/back to experimenting.

Last edited by PSchluns; 12-27-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Did you try downloading The Linux server version to see if that gives you the right files?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
PSchluns

no i haven#t done that. however, ive tried a few other wine releases, and discovered that the game starts crashing in Wine version 0.9.47 and onwards.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
own3r
Custom mapper

I think it might be todo with valve's DRM in sdkbase causing a problem as wine doesn't fully support it I recon. Now I have access to the internet proper ill give it a go with wine .9.52 and see what happens. It just came out.

Last edited by own3r; 12-30-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
own3r
Custom mapper

Not a huge ammount of success to report, managed to see the FF loading screen but it just crashed on every version of wine I tried. I am not sure how you managed to do the trick with the fonts to get it to work at all to be honest.

****EDIT****
update: a possible workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/02/07/wine-gaming-steam-half-life-half-life-2-counter-strike-source-and-16/
UPDATE 0.49.x (25.11.07): When loading CS:S you see the loading screen (that with the two CT guys) and then you get a black screen, see the loading screen again and then the game crashes/doesn’t launch, then here is what might help:

1. Launch regedit -> wine regedit

2. Navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]

3. Add a String with the name “VideoMemorySize” , and then amount of video RAM you have, ex: 256

Last edited by own3r; 01-01-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
ICB

Times like these make me wish everyone made Linux binaries.

*makes puppy eyes at devs*
ICB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
own3r
Custom mapper

Unfortunately ValVe is in bed with microsoft and thier API, so Linux cant be supported even if they wanted to. They would have to implement a totally new 3d render using openGL and reimplement every shader in the game... a lot of work. Suffice to say its out of the dev's hands as the engine is what needs to run on the platform for the mods to work.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
ensiform
Time Lord, Doctor
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r
Unfortunately ValVe is in bed with microsoft and thier API, so Linux cant be supported even if they wanted to. They would have to implement a totally new 3d render using openGL and reimplement every shader in the game... a lot of work. Suffice to say its out of the dev's hands as the engine is what needs to run on the platform for the mods to work.
Not only this but:

The entire steam application is built around Internet Explorer ActiveX (Could've used Mozilla's Gecko that works on all Windows, Linux, and Mac OS) and All of the Windows/GUIs + Ingame GUIs and HUDs are windows resource files vs using QT, GTK, or wxWidgets.
ensiform is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
Tsukasa

Class/Position: O
Affiliations: mimic-
I've gotten it to work by disabling some of those .ttf files, it works with icons and crosshairs (small letter x as crosshair). So it works pretty much 100% for me with Ubuntu 7.10 and wine 0.9.47
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa
I've gotten it to work by disabling some of those .ttf files, it works with icons and crosshairs (small letter x as crosshair). So it works pretty much 100% for me with Ubuntu 7.10 and wine 0.9.47
how do you achieve this disabling of the fonts? just removing them from the directory?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
Tsukasa

Class/Position: O
Affiliations: mimic-
Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r
how do you achieve this disabling of the fonts? just removing them from the directory?
Yeah, or just prepend old_ to them so you still have the fonts backed up.
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
chuk0i

Gametype: Capture the Flag
I'm able to get in-game running under the latest release of wine after deletion of the said font files. Anyone know why you need to delete said files? What's causing ff to crash because of said files? How to fix it?

Furthermore, while I'm able to get in-game I cannot get much further. Playing sniper is fine but if I change to any other class, ff will crash and fail horribly. I've heard this isn't an isolated incident either. Any suggestions?
chuk0i is offline   Reply With Quote