Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
nightfireop

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
pyro's flamethrower

whenever i play FF, i love being pyro cuz i find the incinerator/flamethrower combo is just magnificent, but there's something that make me wonder. how come i feel like everytime i try to grill my opponent, it feels like ity'll take years to fry them to death...but they can just take a shotgun and blast me in a few seconds?

i read in some other review that in tf2, flamethrowers are literally overclocked and once the flames touch you, you better run to the waters a-sap, but not FF's flamethrower. then again, FF is a hl2 incarnation of the original tfc, and tfc pyro's flamethrower wasn't really a strong weapon.

am i making sense, anyone feeling my pain too on this?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
The flamethrower is designed to be used in conjunction with the other weapons...if you get someone with a napalm nade, flame thrower and the IC then you litterally make them scream like a little girl...lvl. 1 burn isn't the strongest, but 2 and 3 rape...try to hit them with the IC and then with the flamethrower and see them go down!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
It still takes age to fry a soldier.
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
More like less than 3 secs once you combo burn him

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Adamido

Priming napalm also takes some time.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamido
Priming napalm also takes some time.
Makes you think a little bit. prime while fighting (I use the double tap option) hit with cannon then flame thrower and nade done nothing left but crispy critter. It does take a bit of practice and some skill not like TF2 hit burn dead.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Adamido

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82694
Makes you think a little bit. prime while fighting (I use the double tap option) hit with cannon then flame thrower and nade done nothing left but crispy critter.
Yeah, but any soldier can throw you away from him with rocket launcher.And then u cant do anything, ur dead.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Yeah, but any soldier can throw you away from him with rocket launcher.And then u cant do anything, ur dead.
You sound just like my damn kids one excuse after another why you can't do something.

The pyro is faster and more agile than the soldier you can run circles around them. Adapt your game play make adjustments and it will happen.

All this but, but, but shit all ready defeats you. So is the pyro the problem or the person playing pyro?

This is the best balanced classes I have ever seen in a fortress mod.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Adamido

Quote:
The pyro is faster and more agile than the soldier you can run circles around them. Adapt your game play make adjustments and it will happen.
Most of time this happens, but really good solly will throw you and YOU CANT CIRCLE HIM.Understand?

Quote:
All this but, but, but shit all ready defeats you. So is the pyro the problem or the person playing pyro?
Its pyro problem , because reaching lvl 3 burn when thrown away is impossible.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
This is the best balanced classes I have ever seen in a fortress mod.
You haven't seen much.The best balanced class is demoman.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

The pyro almost doesnt have a chance in real game against a real soldier, i almost never get killed by em only when im with less than 100 of life (and no armour), u rocket the guy from distance and if after 3 rockets he isnt dead, take out the ssg and finish the job, they arent that fast and from the distance they barley damage u with the IC... and if he gets closer, it takes 1 rocket to push him away...

And i played against good pyros, i even use it myself against not that good soldiers, its true, u can make a 3rd degree burn really fast, but also it goes away pretty fast, it doesnt stays, when the flame of te "ic" for example is gone, no more lvl 3, and the burn lasted less than 5 seconds, the ONLY way to kill it really fast is after the 3rd degree go with your flamethrower and burn him doing cricles and that stuff, u have to combine 3 diferent things really fast and u have to be in close range, the guy with 1 rocket send u flying and if it pushes u far, ur fucked, if it lifts u in the air, ur probably fucked... its not that good at all.

edit: but then again... if u give more power to the pyro... whats going to happend to the pooar O that has to suffer those mother*ucking pyros on D that runs behind u since the midfield to their base ... *ucking pubs...
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Most of time this happens, but really good solly will throw you and YOU CANT CIRCLE HIM.Understand?
You my friend are still beating your self. If you allow your self yes.

Quote:
Its pyro problem , because reaching lvl 3 burn when thrown away is impossible.
^see above

Quote:
You haven't seen much.The best balanced class is demoman.
Really then why bitch about pyro go play demo. Besides if you look at all the classes not just one they are pretty balanced. It all depends on the individual's skill level playing that class.

I know pyro's that don't have a problem with most soldiers so once again maybe you should look a little deeper at your skills. Instead of bitching like a bitch.

GhostBuster and you my friend are the above avg soldier that just owns.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Adamido

Quote:
You my friend are still beating your self. If you allow your self yes.
I would be really happy to see you trying to burn someone with flamethrower and using nades from over 15 meters.Good luck.

Quote:
^see above
^see above.

Quote:
Really then why bitch about pyro go play demo. Besides if you look at all the classes not just one they are pretty balanced. It all depends on the individual's skill level playing that class.
WRONG.Im playing many classes, from spy through sniper , pyro to medic and engi.And I played hw guy from time to time, even when he was seriously underpowered.And so, that's why everyone sucked as hw in 1.1 was player fault?huh?

Quote:
I know pyro's that don't have a problem with most soldiers so once again maybe you should look a little deeper at your skills. Instead of bitching like a bitch.
I know my skills really well.Propably much better than you.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Old Scratch

I never really had problems burning soldiers in an open area. Just keep firing off the IC from range and count his rockets. Using your speed and unpredictable movement it will be very difficult to hit you with a rocket. If he reloads or changes to the ssg, prime the flame grenade(s) and charge in with the flame thrower. It's usually over in a few seconds. If you meet a soldier in an enclosed area though, just start thinking of what you're going to do when you respawn.

Anyway, I think the pyro is great as he is.
Old Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

If the soldier already threw you away, you should've hit him with the flamethrower,, so IC, and napalm, watch him scream and die

Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

We were talking about 1.11 the current version or did I miss some thing. Now you bring in 1.1 which tells me I'm getting under your skin cause your running out of amo to come back at me with so just to stop the impending flame war have a nice day and I'll respect your points if you respect mine.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
The level 1 flame only does 2 damage every 1-2 seconds.
The level 2 flame I think does 5 damage every 1-2 seconds.
The level 3 flame does 25 damage every 1-2 seconds.

You just gotta figure out how to get that combo. What I do is as soon as I see the enemy in sight, I prime my flame grenade, start shooting at him with my IC rockets, and if I hit him, switch to my flamethrower for close range.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #17
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Makes you think a little bit. prime while fighting (I use the double tap option) hit with cannon then flame thrower and nade done nothing left but crispy critter. It does take a bit of practice and some skill not like TF2 hit burn dead.
yea, but for the TF2 "hit burn dead" you gotta do this:
A) Get REALLY REALLY close to them
B) Pyros have low health, killed easily
C) hopefully theres no water nearby, unless you getting close was pretty much useless

TF2 isnt the teh newbness noob part you guys think, and im getting sick of it. FF is obviously more complex, but TF2 isnt like freakin playschool or something.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #18
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Personally I don't think a pyro should be able to take out a soldier unless he's really good at what he's doing.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

The problem with the Pyro in FF is that at first glance it appears the flamethrower should be your main gun. This is a problem with some of the other classes as well. New players don't understand this.

Classes that explain themselves via weapons:
Demoman: Has pipe launchers and they compliment each other well.
Spy: Has a knife.
Engineer: Has a wrench and railgun.
HW: AC
Sniper: Sniper rifle

Classes that do not:
Scout: Nothing, but he has speed. Its almost implied but in battle he has nothing special a new player will notice. Radar is useful but not so much when the scout can't even fight. Most new players look at this and say: Why the hell do I need to find people I can't kill?

Medic: Medkit - At first glance you think you should be healing people 24/7. Not so much the truth. New players will think this concept is pretty dumb.

Pyro: Flamethrower + IC. Neither of these guns have much stopping or killing power alone. When new players see that flamethrower they want to use it. Instead its used as "hit someone with it a few times then use something else". To get a kill the Pyro has to unload half of his IC hits, get close to someone to flame them, then throw a napalm. Then if he even wants to take out a SG he is SOL.

The Pyro is at a major disadvantage. He has to be close to his target to kill it or even start to hurt it much. IC hits are easy to avoid thanks to the arch. And to get distance quick he has to grenade jump which pretty much puts him on a kamikaze mission. It isn't hard to kill a Pyro.

Since the IC is required to do much damage at all the Pyro might as well just be renamed to "Light Fire Soldier". I'd rather see no IC and more flamethrower damage.

TFC:
IC + Flamethrower + Shotgun = No kills

FF:
IC + Flamethrower + Napalm = 1 Kill

Not much of an improvement. Valve got the Pyro right in TF2. When a Pyro comes around a corner with the flames burning you *SHOULD* be afraid of it.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 AM   #20
nightfireop

right, and i guess my real proposal is.....tweak the pyro more