Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 AM   #41
o_d3pth charge

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Do you guys like this style better for the light cones (the right-most one is the new version)? Less blue and much less concentrated:

o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 AM   #42
o_tercel

yes that looks perfect with the less concentrated white cone. it gives it the cellar feeling that it needed.
o_tercel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2006, 04:06 AM   #43
o_sh4x

lol... it feels so strange. It's like you copied a part of my map right into yours with little details different. I did a light hole with spots kinda like that a couple weeks ago and now you're the one releasing screenshots of it first so I'm gonna be the guy who copied lol!... this sucks haha..

P.S.: No hard feelings, I bet this kinda stuff happens alot in the mapping community, I'm just not used to it since it's my first map too
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 AM   #44
o_nezumi

xnarf, use a point_spotlight (with the 'dynamic light' flag unchecked) on the lights. You can adjust the length and width of the beam to your liking and it automatically switches between a 'glow' type sprite and a spotlight type sprite depending on how you look at it.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #45
o_d3pth charge

Nezumi: Thanks for the advice, but what on Earth did you think I am using? :P

And ya, I made sure to turn off the dynamic. I actually get about 120 FPS in the longest vis area on this map, with my crappy Ti4400 and settings on high. Hopefully I can keep the map low-stress like this!

Shax: Sorry man, I actually got most of my influence from Defrag, eat, and that guy who made 2mesa, so ya, I am sure there will be many of the same influences in other people's maps as well. If it makes you feel any better, I've had that skylight in place for 4 months... I just haven't gotten around to making screenshots of it till now (PS: I thought you were working on the community map?)

Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #46
o_sh4x

Well I dropped the idea of making it a community map since nobody really wanted to participate. The guy that started the project hasnt been online for months anyways..

I kept working on it tho and it's shaping really great. But now it's ff_3floors and not community anymore.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #47
o_nezumi

Oh come on, are you serious?

... I guess these lights are glowing: http://www.planethalflife.com/d3pth_...gtrap_a1_4.jpg

I thought it was like sprites/glow_test01 or something. (The new one is glow_test02, isn't it?!)

Well if they're point_spotlights then you can shorten them and make them less visible! Or less blue and less concentrated or whatever.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #48
o_d3pth charge

lol... are you a few days back in the thread? Did you see my latest picture? :P I already changed the lights, they are much less concentrated, and a very cool blue instead of intense blue. Take a gander and tell me if you like them, I will be posting another shot or two today if I feel so inclined.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #49
o_menelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3pth Charge
Ah, now I see what you mean Afty. I can solve that problem by making a forced delay of at least 7-8 seconds from the time the offensive switch is hit before the defensive switch can be activated, or something along those lines.
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but then you'd basically have 7-8 seconds after the offy switch is hit to get the flag out from the danger area, and if you fail you drink coffee for 31 seconds? If the offy can't access the flag for half of the match it's too much of a risk imho, better to just spam emps from the lower entrance with two engys and forget about the switch business.

But I do like the IDEA. One way it could work would be making a both switches instakill everyone (ie. voltage pipe) from the other team inside the FR, and then have a ~30 sec interval before the same switch can be pressed again and ~15 secs for the other one. This way the D could safely defend inside the FR only for 30 secs at a time, after which they'd have to risk the electrocuting effect. Could be pretty tricky to play
o_menelec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #50
o_d3pth charge

Nah, my idea works out perfectly, I spent about 2 months planning the gameplay out on paper. It's quite a shame I don't have the time to continue this map (at least not for now) because I REALLY think it would be a great map. And I'm not just saying that because I'm making it.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:28 AM   #51
o_d3pth charge

Does anyone want to take this project over? I don't want it to go to waste, but with my current school load and the two jobs I have I am never going to have time to finish it.

One of the bases is VERY far along and the yard has been hashed out pretty well, I divided the yard in half so when you rotate the base you can rotate the yard too and it will create a whole yard.

Basically the first base still needs a bit of architectural work especially in the flagroom and the front of the base, lighting in most of the base, entities and optimization. so, i guess there is quite a bit to do, but im confident that the idea i have for this map will work VERY well and I'd love to see it reach fruitation.

I'd prefer if one of the better mappers took this over, I'm kind of protective of the map. I also would like to be kept in the loop on it so I can make sure it comes out how I envisioned it. Of course, I'm not going to dictate exactly what it looks like or anything, if you are working on it you have designing freedom too but I'd like to keep an advisory role so to speak.

If anyone is interested in helping me out and is one of the better mappers here, please let me know. I can give you the source file and all that.

Thanks guys!