Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #81
Ventry(Leo Wainker)
D&A Member

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
I know that I'm not contributing to the discussion but I just have to post this.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Bloody awesome. Very apt.

[rant mode on]
Up yours Bridget. You and people like you are why I don't play FF very often anymore. Got better things to do than listen to whining, pissing, whinging, moaning, frilly girls blouse wearing, camp as a boy scout jamboree, honky gay bar loitering cry babies every time I want to play sniper. (which I have done little of when I do play)

Sniper has been in Fortress game since day one (Quake World TF) and still deserves to be.
Like the animation says: DEAL WITH IT

Sick to the back teeth of loud mouthed minorities who think their opinions are more important than everyone else s.
[rant mode off]

P.s.
Another thing I don't get Bridget is you shoot your mouth off here loud and long but, why can't I find anything on the Talos forum?
Why aren't you hassling your clan mates to take the sniper out of the server (I believe it can be done)?
If you have and they have said no.....
Well gee I wonder why?
Perhaps your opinion is not really in the best interest of ALL FF players and only in YOUR best interest. (perhaps, maybe)

I'll give you one thing Bridget.
I can see why you would not want the sniper in a clan match BUT, in a pub it is just another fun way to play.
In Fallout 3 I use sniper rifles predominately.
In Oblivion I am a thief and use sneak and silent bow strikes.
In Borderlands I am using "Mordacai" the sniper character.
In Far Cry I find high spots to pick off as many enemies as I can before entering the camp or base.
Same in Far Cry 2.
Getting the picture yet??

Last edited by Ventry(Leo Wainker); 09-18-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Ventry(Leo Wainker) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #82
Eon Seig
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!

Class/Position: Pyro Scout Soldier / Offense
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I like the tag-grenade. But, I think tagging needs to be reworked. Specifically, the tag needs to work like sonar, advertising the enemy's position every few seconds. Medics should, if they can not, be able to remove the tag.
You said you hated that idea last time I said something about it.
Eon Seig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #83
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eon Seig View Post
You said you hated that idea last time I said something about it.
I think being tracked 1:1 through the wall is kinda bullshit, but if it worked like sonar; it wouldn't be as bad.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #84
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
[rant mode on]
Up yours Bridget. You and people like you are why I don't play FF very often anymore. Got better things to do than listen to whining, pissing, whinging, moaning, frilly girls blouse wearing, camp as a boy scout jamboree, honky gay bar loitering cry babies every time I want to play sniper. (which I have done little of when I do play.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Quote:
Sniper has been in Fortress game since day one (Quake World TF) and still deserves to be.
Like the animation says: DEAL WITH IT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

Quote:
Sick to the back teeth of loud mouthed minorities who think their opinions are more important than everyone else s.
[rant mode off]
Well, that's like, your opinion, bro.

Quote:
P.s.
Another thing I don't get Bridget is you shoot your mouth off here loud and long but, why can't I find anything on the Talos forum?
Why aren't you hassling your clan mates to take the sniper out of the server (I believe it can be done)?
If you have and they have said no.....
Well gee I wonder why?
Perhaps your opinion is not really in the best interest of ALL FF players and only in YOUR best interest. (perhaps, maybe)
It's not my server; I don't make the rules. Besides, I know the outcome of requesting the removal of Sniper, so why bother? You're making another fallacious implication here that because the majority of people believe x, then it must be right. If the majority of the people in the world thought throwing babies off cliffs were moral, would you agree simply because they were the majority? I sure as fuck hope not.

Server owners are reluctant to remove the puss- er, I mean, Sniper, because it is detrimental to their audience. Their audience would migrate to another server with the class available. In a game with like thirty players, your server thrives or dies respectively with the addition or loss of even one player. And, as I said, just because a lot of people enjoy Sniper doesn't make it fair. I'm sure if the devs added a class that could kill people in one hit from anywhere as long as they were within sight, then tons of faggots would be all over that class insta-gibbing people out of the sky and exclaiming high-pitched squeals from behind a mouthful of stale cheetos.

Quote:
I'll give you one thing Bridget.
I can see why you would not want the sniper in a clan match BUT, in a pub it is just another fun way to play.
In Fallout 3 I use sniper rifles predominately.
In Oblivion I am a thief and use sneak and silent bow strikes.
In Borderlands I am using "Mordacai" the sniper character.
In Far Cry I find high spots to pick off as many enemies as I can before entering the camp or base.
Same in Far Cry 2.
Getting the picture yet??
[snoring sound here]

Last edited by Bridget; 09-19-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #85
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Usually sniper is the go-to class for people inherently bad at FPS with any pace
But when you can switch to the class and keep several people on lock down easily something is wrong. This happens in FF, a sniper at range instagibs people with no risk. Compare this to sniping in say, Day of Defeat. The sniper held its value, but could be taken out just as aptly by a rifleman. CS is similiar in that you can take that awping faggot out no problem with an AK etc. As we all know the range advantage is too great. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, Sniper doesnt really seem to have any actual role in the TF gameplay other then be there for shitlords to have something to play. Playing sniper in FF is incredibly easy to do well at too (ya, I know you think you're the shit cuz you run around and duck instead of peek out of spawn but newsflash, having a hitscan instagrape that you can aim is welcome to FPS), further encouraging this shitty-ness. This just all my opinion of course.

My suggestion is short range high damage low firerate weapon, long range ramped damage so people have to have more then instagib skill, or added utility. wait shit this sounds familiar
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #86
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Usually sniper is the go-to class for people inherently bad at FPS with any pace
But when you can switch to the class and keep several people on lock down easily something is wrong. This happens in FF, a sniper at range instagibs people with no risk. Compare this to sniping in say, Day of Defeat. The sniper held its value, but could be taken out just as aptly by a rifleman. CS is similiar in that you can take that awping faggot out no problem with an AK etc. As we all know the range advantage is too great. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, Sniper doesnt really seem to have any actual role in the TF gameplay other then be there for shitlords to have something to play. Playing sniper in FF is incredibly easy to do well at too (ya, I know you think you're the shit cuz you run around and duck instead of peek out of spawn but newsflash, having a hitscan instagrape that you can aim is welcome to FPS), further encouraging this shitty-ness. This just all my opinion of course.

My suggestion is short range high damage low firerate weapon, long range ramped damage so people have to have more then instagib skill, or added utility. wait shit this sounds familiar
*Shanks Dex* Stop repeating your self cracker.

Oh and for fucks sakes people, stop trying to suck each other off, that includes you Bridget... wait Bridget you don't even play FF, so.. STFU!
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #87
angrypyro
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
How about making the sniper's rifle a projectile like the traq or the nail gun? It would make it still effective against HWguy and sentry guns at long range but won't lock down the other team's offense since the projectile would take longer to hit the target the farther away it is.
angrypyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #88
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
sugested many times, and for the most part I believe many agree
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 09-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #89
Bridget
Banned

IMO, Tribes Disc Launcher

Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #90
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
haha tribes
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #91
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Fix a class thats already really underpowered, I mean I just know 1 sniper in FF that powns at it aka TheKing, Sniper sucks at all maps cept aavdark,2 fort and xpress, if you want frags just play soldier it powns all classes basicly, if you want chill play sniper simple, if you want to make fortress forever a team game instead where all classes have a role export that to ff.pickups also, but dont just
tweak public servers gameplay in order to make it more clanstyle alike, when in ff.pickups just soldier/hw/demo/engy are allowed at defense and scout medic spy at offense. So basicly this doesnt makes much sense.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #92
Bridget
Banned

How is Sniper underpowered? How is having the strongest weapon in the game capable of insta-gibbing almost every class underpowered? How is being the only true long range class underpowered?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #93
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
The problem with the Sniper is that any range advantage he has is destroyed by the terrible hitbox detection, binary nature of his weapon (hit or miss, one chance!), and that he's useless up close.

There are very few snipers who can hit people that know how to conc jump. There are even fewer that can do when concers air strafe. There are even fewer that can do all of that consistently.

Simply nerfing the damage of the sniper isn't going to solve anything. It will make him more useless than he already is. The hitbox detection needs to be beefed up considerably if any change is to go through. Make it a projectile that's got the size of an invisible rocket. I don't really care.

I'm all for changing the mechanics that make the sniper more fair for both the sniper and his opponents. One-siding all the changes is a terrible idea.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #94
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

I for one welcome our new Rocket Propelled Sniper Rifle overlords.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #95
Bridget
Banned

Muhfuggin' Disc Launcher

Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 AM   #96
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

haha port some ricochet maps over to FF have some fun.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #97
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypyro View Post
How about making the sniper's rifle a projectile like the traq or the nail gun? It would make it still effective against HWguy and sentry guns at long range but won't lock down the other team's offense since the projectile would take longer to hit the target the farther away it is.
Completely agree.
Perhaps something like the combine sniper in hl2.
You can see the red dot, and also the projectile has a tracer.

RPG sniper rifle would be beast though
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #98
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
When I say "rocket sniper rifle," I don't actually mean a sniper rifle that shoots rockets. Make it a fast-moving projectile that has an invisible splash radius, with no vertical pushback. Visually, it's still a bullet. It's a proposed solution to the terrible hitboxes. A better suggestion would actually probably keep it hitscan, but make it act something like a really accurate shotgun. Again, only one visual bullet--but a bunch of extra inviso-bullets to help with hit detection.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #99
Born_In_Xixax

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I'm pretty sure when the day comes that I log out of FF for the last time, it will be due to a sniper ruining an otherwise nice game.

It's fun to snipe, but it's not fun to get sniped. It's as simple as that.
Born_In_Xixax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #100
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born_In_Xixax View Post
I'm pretty sure when the day comes that I log out of FF for the last time, it will be due to a sniper ruining an otherwise nice game.

It's fun to snipe, but it's not fun to get sniped. It's as simple as that.
That's like saying it's fun to play [Insert any class here], but it's not fun to get pwned by [Insert any class here].

I personally don't have that much of a problem with current sniper annoyances because I learn to play around that class. Air strafing is key, using your weapons/grenades to annoy the snipers back.
The map express is a perfect example. I get sniped the most on that map. But when I conc from my base to theirs, I air strafe my way to where the sniper cannot see me, as they're usually perched up near their capture point. So I prime a conc to go get the flag, but position myself where when I conc myself, it also concs the sniper way up in the air. It's quite effective. Or, I just throw my conc at the sniper and it has the same effect.

The truth is, there are many ways to avoid sniper fire, but it definitely has somewhat of a learning curve to master.

ff_plunder - Complete