Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 12-15-2005, 02:44 AM   #81
o_kastofsna

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
well is one of those maps that has a ton of "no-no"'s in mapping, but somehow it all works together. i still think it's overrated, but it can be quite fun with a lot of people playing. sadly it pretty much always seems to turn into a sniper battle on the slower pubs
o_kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #82
o_eat

Im with you phish - a classic port isnt good enough. But is moving the respawns backwards the right thing to do? May be forward is better so as soon as you kill the soldier you rush past him and then he spawns behind you and you are clear for the fr. I have made the fd area slightly wider and the corners are curved so you can bhop round the corner in one move if you can get in the fd at top speed.
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 AM   #83
o_fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
a direct tunnel to the fr SHOULD be difficult to get into for that very reason. hevs are far from invincible and solid teamwork can easily push any hev aside.
All i'll say is that i guess you havnt played against a really good hwg, you are of course correct in that good teamwork can get you past a hwg but even then youre going to be very badly damaged and still have to get past a soldier sg and engineer oh and the rapidly returning hwg.
Well i think its hard to asume these things, ive played many many good clans with many many good hevs, we even played BC on this map. However what ive found is that no matter how good a hev is, they always have the same HP, you throw a gren at a div5 hev or a prem hev, it does the same damage, we used to run on a system where we would push the hev, sending down a demo man spamming and medics healing.

Also many people when they get into the FR from whatever direction have tunnel vision to the flag, its extremley effective to attack the hev from the FR water, or even just to grief him by sitting in the respawn water tunnel and constantly nail him.

Well as map would die if a larger ratio of players go into the FR, its not that kind of map and it should imo, remain that way. If you were to add more options it would just become an indoor high flag.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #84
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
moving the spawn back sounds good to me. it gives the people coming out the spawn a chance to see whats beyond the spawn doors before jumping out too. everyone wins.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #85
o_kam

Nah that doesn't solve blocking.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #86
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
Well as map would die if a larger ratio of players go into the FR, its not that kind of map and it should imo, remain that way. If you were to add more options it would just become an indoor high flag.
I totally agree with you on this, more people in the flagroom would be a very bad thing, However all im really saying is that theres a need to alter the water in order to make the hwg actually have to defend his position rather than being able to cover the t and 4 bags entrance and simply dropping to water whenever he hears the telltale water noises. Ive seen this all too many times v good hwgs and it really does make the map not a lot of fun, Obviously this is less the case in a 4 man attack where you can split 2 fd 2 water and increase your chances, but as the map is frequently played with 3 attackers this isnt often the case.

Regarding the moving the resups back, i say no. The front door already has a pretty good balance and with a bit of common sense(i.e not opening the front door and flinging both your grenades in and then wondering why you dont manage to get the fr the whole game) its pretty easy to get through. One thing that would be a great idea though would be to create a way for the attackers to bypass their own front door, perhaps an air launcher or something from each of the resups.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #87
o_imbrifer

To make it easier for O to get out, you could make stairs that go from the spawns up to where the 'water' comes out of the 'water falls', so players could go up the stairs and fall into the water. /shrug
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #88
o_eat

I had an idea like this planned for schtop so attackers could avoid the front door so I might shift it onto well.
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 09:00 PM   #89
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Good, that would improve Well at least 800% (+/- 3%)
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #90
o_[cjff]vultureman

My roommate who plays tfc suggests adding a slight curve to the long part of the well tunnel.

btw, the name of the map is well. make the water like nasty well water, i say.

i also like the idea of changeable waterflow. have like a switch in the middle that flushes both sides out...this would add to the dam feel, no?
o_[cjff]vultureman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #91
o_salty milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DAD
VulturEMaN]btw, the name of the map is well. make the water like nasty well water, i say.
You're supposed to be able to drink water from a well. Maybe if it was called 'ditch' or maybe 'cess pit'
o_salty milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2005, 10:15 PM   #92
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Well water's only nasty if there's a quest in the immediate vicinity, and it usually involves killing some unpleasant monsters.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 PM   #93
o_kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
perhaps an air launcher or something from each of the resups.
Yep that's what i've implemented in a WIP to combat blocking :>

Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #94
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

eat: whats the setting for well? i gather its "heavy industrial" as your journal says, but whats on in terms of location and stuff?

i just thought it would be cool to see over the top from the roof of the battlements and stuff (maybe we could see the river that feeds the waterfall?). TFC's version of well was rather claustraphobic with all four walls covered up.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #95
o_alligator

Waterfalls:

I'm guessing they used some kind of shader to do such thing. Looks okay
but it looks more like liquid silver than water.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 AM   #96
o_alligator

since the edit button wasnt working....
Hopefully you guys can do a much better and realistic effect. In addition, make it look like water and not silver
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #97
o_kam

I thought well was going to have gothic architecture

Old 12-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #98
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator
Waterfalls:
I'm guessing they used some kind of shader to do such thing. Looks okay
but it looks more like liquid silver than water.
yeah, looks like molten pewter

Old 12-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #99
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
A decent attempt.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #100
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
I meant industrial! Sorry!
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote