Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Fariseus

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
No one plays this mod anymore?

Hi, this is going to be my first post in this forum.

I don't know if this is an issue with my steam account or not, but I just downloaded this mod about two days ago, and immediately noticed that the amount of servers available total no more than about ten at the most. Of those always only two servers have very few people playing. What happened? I remember that there was a lot of hype surrounding this mod a few years ago before Team Fortress 2 was even announced. It would be great if this mod supported bots to make up for the lack of players.

Last edited by Fariseus; 04-17-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Fariseus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Well that's the reality. There's usually one almost full euro server and one almost full american server up at the same time.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN

Last edited by moosh; 04-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Fariseus

Sadly, I think most people were just playing this mod as a holdover until Team Fortress 2 was released. I still prefer Fortress Forever over TF2 though, as it resembles TFC the most, I have had some trouble getting used to the new changes in TF2.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
I really have no idea why FF is so unpopular too.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fariseus View Post
Sadly, I think most people were just playing this mod as a holdover until Team Fortress 2 was released. I still prefer Fortress Forever over TF2 though, as it resembles TFC the most, I have had some trouble getting used to the new changes in TF2.
I'm not sure when you played FF or for how long, but the TF2 beta was released ~3 days after FF 1.0 (FF announced its release date, and then TF2 announced its beta release date as the exact same day, so FF released a bit early). The playercount for FF dropped from the 1000's to the 100's in that first week of release.

We have a steady and tight-nit, yet small, playerbase, as we always have had. Once we feel the game is ready, we'll aim to get 1000's of players again and attempt to hold them this time. Until then, you can play the game, spread the word, and/or help to develop the game. There is no magic wand that we can wave. Bots would be nice, but they need to be programmed and someone has to volunteer their time to do the coding.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Fariseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
I'm not sure when you played FF or for how long, but the TF2 beta was released ~3 days after FF 1.0 (FF announced its release date, and then TF2 announced its beta release date as the exact same day, so FF released a bit early). The playercount for FF dropped from the 1000's to the 100's in that first week of release.
Well that's what i'm saying. This mod began development long before TF2 was announced to come out. At that time I believe FF had a larger fanbase but when Valve made the announcement of the new game people lost interest in this mod. TF2 released only a little bit later and as soon as people were able to play the beta they switched over to that game. If FF had released months earlier we might have had a larger community, plus more newcomers to the series would have been aware of this mod as it would have been the only team fortress game available for the source engine at the time, thus increasing it's fanbase. I know it's difficult for a mod to compete with a commercial game, but this mod should also be advertised more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
We have a steady and tight-nit, yet small, playerbase, as we always have had. Once we feel the game is ready, we'll aim to get 1000's of players again and attempt to hold them this time. Until then, you can play the game, spread the word, and/or help to develop the game. There is no magic wand that we can wave. Bots would be nice, but they need to be programmed and someone has to volunteer their time to do the coding.
Do you know what the developers have in store for this mod to make it attract new players?

Last edited by Fariseus; 04-17-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fariseus View Post
Well that's what i'm saying. This mod began development long before TF2 was announced to come out. At that time I believe FF had a larger fanbase but when Valve made the announcement of the new game people lost interest in this mod. TF2 released only a little bit later and as soon as people were able to play the beta they switched over to that game. If FF had released months earlier we might have had a larger community, plus more newcomers to the series would have been aware of this mod as it would have been the only team fortress game available for the source engine at the time, thus increasing it's fanbase. I know it's difficult for a mod to compete with a commercial game, but this mod should also be advertised more.
The past can't be changed. What happened happened. I also don't think it's useful to think of FF as competing with TF2. All games are competing for players with all other games. It's hard for all Source mods to retain players at this point; it's not FF specific and I don't think it's caused by TF2.

Quote:
Do you know what the developers have in store for this mod to make it attract new players?
First and foremost: Making the game better. That means making it easier to see why the game is good, why it is unique, and why it is worth playing, while also improving the game as a whole.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 04-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
what we need........

Is more players like darken_hellspawn who have spread their wings to promote this game. It is true that the player base has dwindled but someday the masses will cometh upon our servers like sheep who need to quench their thirst of FF blood. This day will come and we will all enjoy the spoils of patience.

dh

Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
lol

CM
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Lack of advertising is the major one.

Shitty competitive community stops growth there.

Updates and new features that make vets go "wow, fuck this" hurts as well.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Advertising the game is actually counter-productive, because we are offering Fortress Forever in states where it is not optimal for beginners or the less experienced. People have their first expectations ruined, they become less likely with each advertised patch to continue giving the game a chance with future changes, and when the day comes that Fortress Forever becomes more comfortable for the beginner and less experienced, they have already concluded that Fortress Forever isn't for them. It's the classic 'cry wolf' scenario.

I'm not saying advertising isn't effective. It definitely pulls people to the game. The 2.1 patch was the most popular patch for Fortress Forever due to the teaser trailer the development team worked out. I'm sure we saw an increase in the fan-base, but it didn't match the overall activity the patch saw. Getting people to the modification is one thing, keeping them around and an active part of the community is another. That's the problem. Fortress Forever doesn't keep people. Why is that? It's very difficult for beginners and the less experienced. There are too many prerequisites to enjoying Fortress Forever. If you haven't already integrated into the fast pace of death-match games or the competitive nature of Team Fortress Classic, then Fortress Forever just leaves you out in the cold.

I think besides the reason I mentioned above, another reason Fortress Forever doesn't stay as active as it could is because of the long periods of 'silence' between patches. The development of this mod is way too private and secretive. If the development team were a little more open with all of the community and its members, then people would have something to look forward to from patch to patch, and it would inspire discussion and give people foundations for making suggestions. The development team doesn't have to reveal every new thing (because surprise is still a big force in getting people to try the next patch) but just something to keep the community going. I mean something like a blog similar to the Team Fortress 2 development blog at http://www.teamfortress.com.

Last edited by Bridget; 04-19-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
The development of this mod is way too private and secretive. If the development team were a little more open with all of the community and its members, then people would have something to look forward to from patch to patch, and it would inspire discussion and give people foundations for making suggestions. The development team doesn't have to reveal every new thing (because surprise is still a big force in getting people to try the next patch) but just something to keep the community going. I mean something like a blog similar to the Team Fortress 2 development blog at http://www.teamfortress.com.
you're having a laugh? you've seen exactly what we're up to, and have discussed with us in detail our goals with said features. yes we do keep a degree of secrecy to the public, because at the end of the day we don't want to send out the wrong message with our more extreme conceptual features currently in test.

Last edited by mervaka; 04-19-2010 at 08:01 PM.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote