Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

View Poll Results: IF we do a draft, would you play even if it meant getting stuck playin w/ some newbs?
Yes 31 62.00%
No 12 24.00%
Maybe 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #41
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
<DrSatan> everyone likes to win...and no one wants to not play with their players...but that's why I put up the thread. I need to test waters

<DrSatan> the problem is all of us (me included) want to play in a league, but I can't fucking devote time to a leage that everyone is gonna shit on 5wks in
that...and what squeek said.

I want to league...I always have, that's how UGC came about. Literally I fucking bugged the shit out of Padawan for like 3mo when FF came out to get her to start up UGC. And eventually she got tired of it and gave me the league (literally). And she wasn't the only one...I hit up forn and every other leader of every other league I could find.

And I don't mean that I want to league with a bunch of people I have never played with (or rarely played with), I want to league with people I have built a repor with, my clan members, my friends, my brothers. BUT the reality is that there ARE NOT ENOUGH CLANS to make that happen! I mean ffs there are currently 5 EU clans and 4 US clans (that I know of), so what am I supposed to do with that? Season 1 of UGC had like 10 clans and that still ended up with one team dominating the others and the game being crap. I can't make 2 ladders out of 4 teams, I can barely make 2 out of 10 clans. Ruta's idea, is the best solution I have seen that will;
a) bring in newer players who may not be good enough to league but have the heart
b) even out teams to make the game fun
c) spark interest in leagues

Is this solution the best, no...but it sounds good in theory and would be a nice start. Will it last forever, probably not. Biohaz brought up a good point...we can't expect this to go on for seasons and seasons or even weeks and weeks (within seasons). Just enough weeks to show the winner and mb 1/2 seasons so that people can see how true clanstyle is played and can get interested in the game. Then break off into clans again and we'll ramp up a ladder style league and really get things going. But w/out something that's more fair than season / ladder clan v clan...newer players / clans are never going to spark up and I'm never going to have enough clans to work with.

And @ you all who think your better than everyone...join and show your true colours, let's find out how well Gator or Vinny stack up when your paired against teams that are of equal skill instead of teaming up and raping 300-0! And if your concerned about not getting recognition for your leet raping...don't be, we have a parser, so your uber stats won't get overlooked!

OR don't and we'll all go back to playing pickups and talking about how l33t our clans are with shit to show for it and nothing to do but wait for hours while a 4v fills up. Pickups which, if you haven't noticed, are the same fucking thing just hour by hour / pickup by pickup instead of a draft that is week to week and would be followed more. And the next time a patch comes out...everyone will pm me and ask me to find a solution and start up a league. I'll try my hardest, nothing will happen, and eventually I'll just stop trying.

GG, vGG!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #42
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Look at it this way. If Gator happened to throw his name in to the player pool it's obvious he may be selected high...right? Not necessarily. Not that his skills don't warrant a top selection...a different clans leader may just totally clash with Gator. I think it just evens the playing field. If someone really wants to play for the kicks because they love FF and competitive gaming, they aren't going to care who they play with. I dare say players would enjoy the prospect of matching up with people they have typically played with in the past. After all, they can just turn around right after the match and play a pick up with them if they wanted.

Last edited by Rutabeggar; 09-23-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #43
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
It seems as though more and more people are pubbing... maybe it's because 2.4 just came out, but maybe not? FF is the shit, we all know it, and with over 10,000 hits in just a few days, Fortress-Forever The Movie is showing off what FF is really about. why don't we stop the bitching/pickups/clans/ for a bit and concentrate on our pubs, and our new players. Not everyone played tfc, can't just expect them to fall in love with FF.. they need a hand. FYC anyone?

I give props out to Exo. Last night we joined the Phat Farm [Clanstyle O v D] at like 12:30 am and there was complete chaos in the yard. Instead of yelling at the blue team for playing yard D, or at the red team for playing offense, Exo got on the mic and told everyone to listen up for a second and got people on the appropriate teams to play O v D. I applaud his effort in getting newbs into the real ctf part of the game, and it worked... everyone was having FUN! we played 3 maps in a row with over 10 people in.. then it switched to schrape n everyone left(cake plz remove schrape from the maps rotation) :P

Anyways, I know it's frustrating to play in pubs sometimes, but honestly this game hasn't really given the new players a chance. They are constantly getting yelled at by assholes, getting banned (Ol Timers), or running around aimlessly in pubs because there is no Order.

Why don't we concentrate on keeping The Phat Farm full and have some fun instead of bitching n moaning at every fuckin chance. Srsly.

Last edited by Lynus; 09-23-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #44
ViLE
fastest pipe in the east

Send a message via ICQ to ViLE Send a message via AIM to ViLE
captain rapist, reporting for duty!
ViLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #45
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
DONT TAKE SCHRAPE OUTTA THE ROTATION SHIT SCHRAPES MANG
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #46
biohaZ

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
i agree with the shrape comment ^ :P...

anyways..im all up for whatever happens... but personally i want a clan vs clan league more than anyone! ... but with 6 clans i know it will fail.
i think the best option right now is to try a draft league because it will spark more interest and "should" have more people, which means more clans. like mentioned before, it will get boring quick, so we should only do it for 4-6 weeks and we should all just try and wait it out and get a good player base.
Im just trying to sacrifice whatever i have to do to many any leagues work!
biohaZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #47
gibz
Title title title title

Class/Position: Medic O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF, Water Battle
Affiliations: :e0: and n-t
Agreed. I love Schrape.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #48
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
schrape is that shit no doubt, one of my favs but it doesn't come with FF
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #49
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus View Post
schrape is that shit no doubt, one of my favs but it doesn't come with FF
A lot of league maps don't come with FF.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #50
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Surprising the majority of the 'no' votes comes from the members of the clan who have no competition, and obviously don't want competition...[/sarcasm]

Last edited by Rutabeggar; 09-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #51
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
My team wants competition

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Last edited by GeoKill----->; 09-25-2009 at 01:41 AM.
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #52
Ostrich_Eggs

YES! The only way to garner interest in this fucking mod is to showcase competitive play. With 4 clans up for league play, how can we even start a league? And you can't expect noobs to create their own clans for league play. If there's a draft and there's enough mediocre players that join then I would love to help em out. But if there's a draft and it's the same 30 people that always play then no thanks, I'd rather play with my team.

Last edited by Ostrich_Eggs; 09-25-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Ostrich_Eggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #53
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrich_Eggs View Post
YES! The only way to garner interest in this fucking mod is to showcase competitive play. With 4 clans up for league play, how can we even start a league? And you can't expect noobs to create their own clans for league play. If there's a draft and there's enough mediocre players that join then I would love to help em out. But if there's a draft and it's the same 30 people that always play then no thanks, I'd rather play with my team.
The idea is to essentially "bridge the gap" between the 2 divisions of the community. If you can assimilate pub players in to competitive play, have them be taught properly by experienced competitive players under the pretense of having a competitive match weekly, they are going to get better, and pass their learned abilities on. The "Draft League" may not last more than 2 seasons...but it is my opinion that 2 seasons would be enough to build a 2nd generation of FF players.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #54
~Yoda~
Devil Dog
D&A Member

Class/Position: scout/solly/demo/medic
Gametype: clanstyle
Affiliations: Enternal order
Send a message via Yahoo to ~Yoda~
If you made the clans pretty even and made sure no one in the clan had problems with other clan members than i'de be all for it. And some people that clan only clan because they like playing with people who they know instead of a bunch of random people.
~Yoda~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #55
Creature
The '87 Stickup Kids

Class/Position: (D)-Soldier/Demo (O)-Scout/Medic
Gametype: OvsD
Affiliations: Boobies!
When would we be expecting this draft to be starting?
Creature is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #56
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
I'm planning on whipping something up in the next week or so, I think. And seeing how many registrants we get. Then going from there.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #57
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
yea satan I say you open a registration and see how many teams you get ..i think we might be surprised.

and i still feel as if we should do 2 divisions...upper and lower

yes there will be a strong chance of 3-4 teams in each division...but I think that will last longer imho

:EDIT: maybe we could have 2 seperate leagues?

one drafting league for fun and for helping newcomers
one league for competition.

why not have best of both worlds??

Last edited by VinnytheBoss; 09-28-2009 at 06:18 PM.
VinnytheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #58
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
I think he's talking about whipping up the draft, not the team ladder. Hopefully squeek or hadez start up their league as an alternative for those that won't play in the draft.
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #59
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
why not play in the draft?

I think we should have two leagues. and I think everyone should play in both if you represent this community.
VinnytheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #60
biohaZ

thats the spirit vinny
biohaZ is offline   Reply With Quote