Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 12-06-2006, 04:19 AM   #241
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
My brother's serving in Iraq, Iowa National Guard Ironman Batallion. He was hit by an IED about a month ago, and has lost the hearing in his right ear. But we hear from him all the time (not recently unfortunately), and believe it or not, Iraqis are happier with Saddam gone. Better off in terms of available services, I'll be the first to say know based on my knowledge. Power is a big thing, and the bombing of Bahgdad and all things are still going poorly. I believe that there was a letter written by one Iraqi who claimed that though he was very happy that Saddam was gone, Iraq was in shambles. We're working on rebuilding it though, and Iraqis are pitching in.

On the countering side though, we could always quote those anonymous soldiers who email Michael Moore about how it's supposably all for oil.
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 05:11 AM   #242
o_binarylife

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I always hated the "all for oil" point. It's 100% moot, and there are plenty of good reasons to be upset about us going into Iraq without them making one up.

But all and all I agree with SF (oh no! I'm stating an opinion, I haven't done that in a while). Not to say that I have a brother in the military. I do have a great deal of friends who are serving in Iraq... but they don't really talk to me much. Their focus is their family's. Anyway, back to the point. While the war has not gone as expected, and really is a total screw up of the grand of all screw ups, american media really hasn't accurately portrayed what's going on out there.

Here the media focuses on directly on making money, not telling the truth. In Vietnam the media was America's sight into the truth. Reporters were bold and unflinching. Now reporters give away the troops' position to the enemy and broadcast national plans for attack on global TV. Now they don't so much bother with reporting as writing. They call it spinning.

The war sucks, as all wars do. It was based on a great deal of information, some of it was true, a lot of is was false. We all have to find our own reasons for liking or disliking. I personally believe that Saddamm should have been removed from power, and his people set free. Our government is half-way there. Smarter people would have made better decisions.

I'm not being clear. My articulation is suffering so for now I'll stop. perhaps I'll think more clearly later.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #243
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Don't take offence zSF but some people are going to give "the shitty media" at least as much credence as "my brother says" as an information source.

Also "Iraqis seem happier to my brother" is not an automatic justification of "We were right to invade Iraq".
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #244
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeableSSonic
For starters, we should get the hell out of Iraq.
No no.

You first went there because you supposedly believed that there were WMD's. Then you said, ok, there isnt, but look we got rid of this evil guy! Democracy will come in and everyone will be happy!

Is iraq any better now because of this war? Debatable.

You cant just go and retreat just because it isnt working out, its gotta be sorted.

Last edited by o_qui; 12-06-2006 at 12:08 PM.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #245
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i do think the media should start pushing the "so were there WMDs?" question again. watching the politicians avoid the question is funny as fuck

Old 12-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #246
o_sizeablessonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
No no.

You first went there because you supposedly believed that there were WMD's. Then you said, ok, there isnt, but look we got rid of this evil guy! Democracy will come in and everyone will be happy!

Is iraq any better now because of this war? Debatable.

You cant just go and retreat just because it isnt working out, its gotta be sorted.
Exactly, we should sort it out first, of course. I guess my post wasn't clear enough on what I meant. I admitt, we do have to sort all this shit out before can get out.

Also, zs, your brother is a viable source of info, but not the national media? Your joking, right?

Last edited by o_sizeablessonic; 12-06-2006 at 01:22 PM.
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #247
o_spiderman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id1zZHRRQsk
o_spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #248
o_uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
Don't take offence zSF but some people are going to give "the shitty media" at least as much credence as "my brother says" as an information source.

Also "Iraqis seem happier to my brother" is not an automatic justification of "We were right to invade Iraq".
Lol yeah, my brother is going to lie to me so I can get a sensationalized sense of what's going on in Iraq. That way, I will call my brother more and his personal ratings will go through the roof!
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #249
o_psycnet

^Funny

No contribution here!
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #250
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Ultimately I believe that Democracy or a government that has direct participation of those governed will fail in Iraq and Afghanistan. The reason is simple...those people did not seek it out themselves nor did they fight and die for that goal. It was given to them by their conquerers and doesn't generate the same appreciation they'd have had that been their own goal.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #251
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
Lol yeah, my brother is going to lie to me so I can get a sensationalized sense of what's going on in Iraq. That way, I will call my brother more and his personal ratings will go through the roof!
I wasn't questioning his brother's integrity. I was suggesting that people other than zSF might be somewhat sceptical that his brother can speak for how the entirety of Iraq is doing right now.

If zSF can blithely dismiss the media as "a bloody joke", others can just as easily dismiss his brother's testimony as "anecdotal".

Last edited by o_ekim; 12-06-2006 at 03:37 PM.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #252
o_laolz!!!

keith olbermann hands down owns all.
o_laolz!!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #253
o_darken_hellspawn

WAR!!!

War has solved many problems through out the vast history of the world and it will continue to be that way forever. It is not wrong to wish death upon people who would kill you the first chance they had. Bombing them into the dark ages and making them start from scratch does work. Look at Japan or Dresden Germany. We served up a bloodbath for the better good of man and the United States. It was hard for us to do it but we stepped up to the plate and got the job done. This is what is needed in this war as well. I hate that innocent civilians have died but it could not have been prevented unfortunately.

This is the nature of war. It is who can outlast the otherside and we will never give up. Ever!!!!

DH
o_darken_hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 AM   #254
o_frenchtoast

I now add utter disgust to the list of things I feel about you.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #255
o_darken_hellspawn

Add the Fires of Hate as well..........

For I will never care my dear Frenchy. The world is an ugly place and we are just trying to make it a bit brighter out there for everyone. The worlds police we are and will continue on the tradition forever. There is a town in southern somallia now that is run totally by muslim fanatics and they will behead anyone who is not praying 5 times a day at the correct times. You must not be out in the streets or caught up doing something else during that time or you will die.

These are the fucking scum of this world. I would chop the heads off of every Janjaweed with a dule machete if I would ever be given the chance. With there deaths the world becomes a better place little by little and if it meant getting blood on my hands then so be it......If this would save the people of that town who were not muslim and have had to convert ASAP once the fanatics took over in the last three days it would all be worth it.

You can always wash your hands once they are dirty.
o_darken_hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 AM   #256
o_tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darken_Hellspawn
For I will never care my dear Frenchy. The world is an ugly place and we are just trying to make it a bit brighter out there for everyone. The worlds police we are and will continue on the tradition forever. There is a town in southern somallia now that is run totally by muslim fanatics and they will behead anyone who is not praying 5 times a day at the correct times. You must not be out in the streets or caught up doing something else during that time or you will die.

These are the fucking scum of this world. I would chop the heads off of every Janjaweed with a dule machete if I would ever be given the chance. With there deaths the world becomes a better place little by little and if it meant getting blood on my hands then so be it......If this would save the people of that town who were not muslim and have had to convert ASAP once the fanatics took over in the last three days it would all be worth it.

You can always wash your hands once they are dirty.
lol, thanks for the laugh.
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #257
o_backstaber

Nothings funny about that tu. Somalia is pretty much getting screwed over by Al Queda right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061206/...somalia_prayer

Last edited by o_backstaber; 12-07-2006 at 03:57 PM.
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #258
o_tu!

i was being sarcastic...

***edit i see i quoted the wrong thing...i mean't to respond to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darken_Hellspawn
War has solved many problems through out the vast history of the world and it will continue to be that way forever. It is not wrong to wish death upon people who would kill you the first chance they had. Bombing them into the dark ages and making them start from scratch does work. Look at Japan or Dresden Germany. We served up a bloodbath for the better good of man and the United States. It was hard for us to do it but we stepped up to the plate and got the job done. This is what is needed in this war as well. I hate that innocent civilians have died but it could not have been prevented unfortunately.

This is the nature of war. It is who can outlast the otherside and we will never give up. Ever!!!!

DH

Last edited by o_tu!; 12-07-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #259
o_uber

Why would you even be sarcastic about that. You're retarded. Truly.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #260
o_tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
Why would you even be sarcastic about that. You're retarded. Truly.