Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 07-31-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
o_zorro

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
another attempt at mapping

Well last time i tried to make a map it was ff_aftershock... it went really badly cause it was my first map. I used a grid size of less than 16 and had leaks EVERYWHERE. Anyways this time I have taken a dif. approach.. Im not texturing it all, only worrying about the layout and some of the architecture first. Anyways this map isnt ever going to be an actual map, its more of a map to try people out on for clans I guess... Its to test communication. Its a ramp room and a flag room.. then 4 entrances to the flagroom from the ramproom, so the person your testing will have to have good comms to do anything.(I know this map will have absolutley no playability im doing it more to just try and make something that looks half way decent.).. Anyways these screens are all pretty dark and have no textures sooo ok..

The boxes on the floor will be lights.. ill probibly put more lights in here too, and also a door where the opening is. Hopefully ill be able to have it so the blue team can only have scouts, they will spawn here.

This is the tunnel leading from the blue respawn to the red ramproom... at the end of this tunnel ill probibly put lasers that kill the red team if they try and go in it..

Heres the first look at the ramp room.. Ill probibly go with like an atrium theme or something here.. Its hard to see but there are 4 exits to the FR from here one to the left one above the ramp one bellow the ramp and one to the right. Even harder to see is that in the middle of the map leading to the ramp it is kind of like an island.. ill put dirt or something on the bottom latter on.

You can see the island kind of now, and also the end of the tunnel leading from the blue respawn.

Another angle of the ramp room from the bottom area..

A hideously dark picture of the flag room.. you can see the 4 entrances from the ramp room here too.. the hole in the ground is where you can come up from the bottom ramproom entrance then the ones to the side, and the top ramp one is straight on... In the middle is a building, inside that building is where the flag will be.. ill probibly put a ladder up to there so you can build sg's or maybe even put the red respawn which i havent build yet.

Finally this is where the flag will be.. its angled downward a bit, not sure why.. makes it harder to pipe the flag i guess, or harder for the SG to see out into the tunnel thats just out in front of it.. k thats it.

I know it looks pretty bad from here, but its not that bad looking from ingame, definitley need to work on the lighting and architecture more now.

later
o_zorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
architecture looks quite neat, just make sure you tie them to func_detail entities
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
o_donny

Looks neat. But add more light to the map.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
o_frenchtoast

Pretty
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Very nice on the architecture. It's always best to concentrate on the architecture and brushwork first, otherwise you'll get caught up with textures, and wanting to make them look good.

Looks like a good map so far, I'd like to see it be used.
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
o_zsleek7

Nice work z2, perhaps a demo tryout map will be the next attempt? Or maybe a pj map :P
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
o_zorro

hey slick where u been yah maybe lol, ive been thinking of a demo map. maybe we can do it together! and then go out to a movie, maybe some dinner think about it

Old 08-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
o_zsleek7

IRC sucks ass over satillite - disconnects every 2-3 mins at least. In terms of mapping, you have greatly surpassed me so I think the best I could do is lend some layout idea (which kinda ruins 1/2 the fun of making a map). But we will definatly chat soon, I get stable broadband in like 2 months so thats probably when ill return to IRC.
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 03:53 AM   #9
o_azlan

I love the architecture so far! That ramp room is money! Perhaps add some water where the island's at?
o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 04:01 AM   #10
o_jerm

I made a box last week
o_jerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #11
o_darkness24713

i think its needs somemore lighting in it...
thats just my opinion cause its seems a little dark
but othere then that its looks like its coming along nice
o_darkness24713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
o_zorro

yah i know, i said that like 5,000 times :\

Old 08-03-2005, 06:37 AM   #13
o_zorro

I got some new screens of the FR i just pretty much finished. I decided to use photoshop to adjust the contrast so you can see it better because I still have not done the lighting! its just temp lighting so yah...

I HAVE NOT DONE PROPPER LIGHTING AGAIN

here is the new flag room

The first shot of the new FR. I decided to get rid of the roof on the actual building, now demos can stand on it and pipe the inside! someother that sounds fun to me.. also added some of the stuff on the walls. The center piece of the wall is out further then the rest of it to look like its bulging but you cant really tell here.

the other side of the room, this time you can see the ramps you use to get to the roof of the flag building.. i think it would also serve as a good place for a sol to stand or to put an sg or something, i dunno.

Finlally this shot shows my roof design which is like looking at stairs from the inside, it gives the room a nice depth.. i also decided to open up the top roof to the world! and again added the sun glare which ingame is hardly noticible but here its kind of annoying.

ah yah ive decided to make it an actual map now, but still havent thought of a name, ill get one when i finish with the architecture.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #14
o_imbrifer

I _love_ the last shot. Excellent design with the walls coming together to the ceiling and the open roof. I worry about the way the flag building is so chopped up. No one wants a block or anything, but the way it is now, I envision it being difficult to pull off quality texturing, and it looks very 'busy'. If you're up to the challange, go for it - but when I look at it I twitch ever so slightly. Same with the criss-crossing beams used for the roof of the big room... but we'll see how it goes.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #15
o_someoldguy

Nice start!

I'd suggest maybe thinking about changing the roof of the FR and adding a hole to drop down, rj/conc out of since it seems a bit cramped to effectively get the flag out. I'd also consider making the entrances to the fr on the sides to be a bit larger (maybe to fit the interior walls/ceiling?).

Also, are the breaks in the walls iin the sides of the FR open? Just wondering, because gameplay would be affected (not necessarily adversely) if an sg could lock on someone outside, or if you could lob grens in from the side/top.
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote