Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Jobs

So I'm looking for a job, and I'd really like it to be a sort of A+ like job fixing computers or the like until I get my degree and can move on to something else. I was thinking about going with Geek Squad, since Circuit City is going out of business, and I really don't know what the local small computer repair businesses are doing(plus, one has signs that have random letters backwards, which makes one of their signs look like "PC Repsir" on first glance because of a backwards 'a'.). So does anyone have any suggestions for this, know anything about Geek Squad or the like? If Geek Squad turns out to be the best choice, which would be better, Counter Intellignence Agent, or Double Agent (basically all counter, vs 70% driving to a site to fix stuff, and 30% counter)?

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
ew geek squad .. find a real it job
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow00Caster View Post
ew geek squad .. find a real it job
Note the, "until I can get my degree and move on to something else."

I'm in your position Demasu... trying to find a low entry level tech position...

Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
Note the, "until I can get my degree and move on to something else."

I'm in your position Demasu... trying to find a low entry level tech position...
Yeah, this pretty much, I'm not planning on staying there, but I need money.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
So I'm looking for a job, and I'd really like it to be a sort of A+ like job fixing computers or the like until I get my degree and can move on to something else. I was thinking about going with Geek Squad, since Circuit City is going out of business, and I really don't know what the local small computer repair businesses are doing(plus, one has signs that have random letters backwards, which makes one of their signs look like "PC Repsir" on first glance because of a backwards 'a'.). So does anyone have any suggestions for this, know anything about Geek Squad or the like? If Geek Squad turns out to be the best choice, which would be better, Counter Intellignence Agent, or Double Agent (basically all counter, vs 70% driving to a site to fix stuff, and 30% counter)?

I worked in the geeksquad for 2 years.

First off, your options are Counter-OPs and Agent, not double agent. Double Agent is a supervisor level employee, which are promoted from within.

Agent is the guy in the white shirt that talks to people, takes in their broken merchandise, and upsells new computer sales with the latest IS suite. Here are the main technical duties of said agent:

Install ram/video cards/harddrives in new PCs.

Run Tool X/Y/Z to isolate hardware issue, software issue.

Run Tool X/Y/Z to remove spyware/viruses.

Reformat computers using a system recovery disk.

Counter-Ops is the guy in the black polo. You would be answering phones, checking PCs in/out, shipping items to the service center, calling people to tell them to come pick up their shit.

From my experience, the people who worked as Agents were usually doing it to gain experience and learn, whereas the Counter-ops either already knew that side front and back, or had no intention of learning it.

If you are in the 18-24 range, and are looking for a little extra cash, and looking to meet people like yourself for socializing, check it out!

the computer sales department is another bestbuy career that might interest you, they work very closely with the geeksquad and have potential to make much more with higher wages/more hours.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Yea, exactly... 18-24 year old college student needing a bit of extra cash from a job that will get us by until graduation... I should apply there again...

Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 03-03-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
I worked in the geeksquad for 2 years.

First off, your options are Counter-OPs and Agent, not double agent. Double Agent is a supervisor level employee, which are promoted from within.

Agent is the guy in the white shirt that talks to people, takes in their broken merchandise, and upsells new computer sales with the latest IS suite. Here are the main technical duties of said agent:

Install ram/video cards/harddrives in new PCs.

Run Tool X/Y/Z to isolate hardware issue, software issue.

Run Tool X/Y/Z to remove spyware/viruses.

Counter-Ops is the guy in the black polo. You would be answering phones, checking PCs in/out, shipping items to the service center, calling people to tell them to come pick up their shit.

From my experience, the people who worked as Agents were usually doing it to gain experience and learn, whereas the Counter-ops either already knew that side front and back, or had no intention of learning it.

If you are in the 18-24 range, and are looking for a little extra cash, and looking to meet people like yourself for socializing, check it out!

the computer sales department is another bestbuy career that might interest you, they work very closely with the geeksquad and have potential to make much more with higher wages/more hours.
Thanks, it seems like I'd want the agent position then, but which one would that be here? If that actually has any impact on what you really get, I don't know, but it's where I got the names from, and it's in the Computer Agent part, and not car tech or home theater installer.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Experience and generating income comes first....then you can seek the certifications and credentials that will help you progress. Each region is going to be different in terms of what it offers with IT jobs. If you intend to stay in the area where you are now get to know who the employers are there and what they do. Start looking at linkedin.com, Dice.com, careerbuilder, monster and various other local resources...see what the actual job market looks like...see what's being offered and what you're going to have to bring to the table to even get a sniff at it.

Hard work...education...intelligence...who you know...what you know. All important ingredients and you never know which will be most important.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:

Nobody at your location uses a DOS start up disk and the "format c:" command? What happened to knowing how to do things instead of using the "recovery CD"?

Some so called "computer techs" I have talked to would be lost if they had to actually format a computer and do a fresh install with just a DOS boot disk and a windows XP cd.

=============== As for the job ================

As for the jobs, you should have more then 1 income stream. Do not depend on a single "job" as your only source of money.

The IT field is flooded, but some jobs are still in demand, such as programmers. From what I have heard, microsoft SQL programmers and cisco engineers will always be in demand. Mainly because these are highly trained jobs. Not everyone has the desire to go through all of the classes and training.

Hardware is like the bottom of the bucket. Its going to be probably your lowest paid job category. Its always been that way, and its always going to be that way.

If you can find a job, start your own business and work out of your house. Set up a website using wordpress, start blogging about the current trends and put adsense banners on your blog.

Its going to take a little while for traffic to build on your site, but the adsense clicks can provide you with some extra cash.

Over the years I have found only 2 good sources of computer information, toms hardware and sharky extreme. If you make a good site, people will visit.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
Nobody at your location uses a DOS start up disk and the "format c:" command? What happened to knowing how to do things instead of using the "recovery CD"?

Some so called "computer techs" I have talked to would be lost if they had to actually format a computer and do a fresh install with just a DOS boot disk and a windows XP cd.

As for the jobs, you should have more then 1 income stream. Do not depend on a single "job" as your only source of money.

The IT field is flooded, but some jobs are still in demand, such as programmers. From what I have heard, microsoft SQL programmers and cisco engineers will always be in demand. Mainly because these are highly trained jobs. Not everyone has the desire to go through all of the classes and training.

Hardware is like the bottom of the bucket. Its going to be probably your lowest paid job category. Its always been that way, and its always going to be that way.

If you can find a job, start your own business and work out of your house. Set up a website using wordpress, start blogging about the current trends and put adsense banners on your blog.

Its going to take a little while for traffic to build on your site, but the adsense clicks can provide you with some extra cash.

Over the years I have found only 2 good sources of computer information, toms hardware and sharky extreme. If you make a good site, people will visit.
I would actually know what to do to format a system without the recovery disk, and really it's only because I took a class in 9th grade called, simply, "IT." We made our own cables in there, actually made a wall mount to plug them into, and had our own little network going on. We also formatted the computers completely, and installed Windows, and I think it was a 95/98 mix on there, but I could be wrong on that. It was a great class.

As for what I'd be doing later on, I'm at a point right now where I can easily go into programming, or networking without a problem, I just don't know which I'd rather do, as I find them both fun so far.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #11
Vasa

Class/Position: O:scout D:sol
Of course I'm not aware of the US situation, but at where I work we have a chronic lack of personell (and applicants) for software and partially hardware support. But as far other stuff goes, anything to do with databases seems to be doing good though. Normal programming is in low demand here though.

If you want to go for economic predictions, pick or aim for the security industry, even with the recession it's an IT sector that keeps growing since everybody needs their antivirus.
Vasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
Of course I'm not aware of the US situation, but at where I work we have a chronic lack of personell (and applicants) for software and partially hardware support. But as far other stuff goes, anything to do with databases seems to be doing good though. Normal programming is in low demand here though.

If you want to go for economic predictions, pick or aim for the security industry, even with the recession it's an IT sector that keeps growing since everybody needs their antivirus.
I've been thinking about security, or even forensics, and I know the school I currently go to seems to have a good security program, but I don't know about the forensics.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Do it yourself. I've made a few thousand on the side over the last couple of years doing computer repair on my own.

Go to VistaPrint, print up business cards with your name, phone number, and e-mail. Talk to people and hand 'em out. Simple as that.

If you live in the 'burbs you can get away with charging $30-40/hour starting.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi View Post
Do it yourself. I've made a few thousand on the side over the last couple of years doing computer repair on my own.

Go to VistaPrint, print up business cards with your name, phone number, and e-mail. Talk to people and hand 'em out. Simple as that.

If you live in the 'burbs you can get away with charging $30-40/hour starting.
Isn't a portion of that money mine...

on a side note .. I'm fucking over this current job .. these dickwads (firefox says this isn't a work, I disagree) I work for now want to take me off of this client and bring me back into the office for help desk and drive around doing other t&m work .. their reasoning is that they are not utilizing me as a resources to the fullest extent which is costing them money .. basically I know too much and I'm worth more than what they are paying me. My response, fuck you.
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post

It's against SOP. System reformats are to only to be performed with a recovery disk, ( for a nominal fee of $280, + $80 per CD or DVD if they wish to have anything backed up)

I do not work for BBY anymore, but it served it's purpose, and man, did I ever smoke a lot of weed. We would party until 5am, and go to a manditory storewide meeting at 8am. Thats how the BBY crew rolls, perfect "college kid" job.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
It's against SOP. System reformats are to only to be performed with a recovery disk, ( for a nominal fee of $280, + $80 per CD or DVD if they wish to have anything backed up)

I do not work for BBY anymore, but it served it's purpose, and man, did I ever smoke a lot of weed. We would party until 5am, and go to a manditory storewide meeting at 8am. Thats how the BBY crew rolls, perfect "college kid" job.
I'm glad I know my way around computers then, that's a lot of money for something that simple.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #17
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
I'm glad I know my way around computers then, that's a lot of money for something that simple.
It's also why there are many people who won't go back to them.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote