Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Fortress Media

Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #41
Hoopajoo

Affiliations: ( GoodFellas . )
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Nice little mulch avi.

Is it just me or do the euros always jump on and trash our avis or format of play? (5v5)
Hoopajoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #42
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
In a match, i absolutely agree with gremlin.

But this isn't a match, and tbh, I will turn off a highlight movie if there are no airshots. I watch frag movies to be entertained and see cool frags. I don't care how many times you missed that midair on the pyro jetpacking across the map, but when you hit him, you had better be recording and make it look effortless.

And you know, if you want to talk the talk about skill, put yo money in yo grill and see how many teeth you have left when it's all said and done.

If you want to see strategy and plays from the best of the best, download their match demos. If you want to see showy cockiness to get you pumped up to go play, watch a highlight movie.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #43
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
There's a difference between skill and playing it safe. Getting airshots is pure skill. Waiting for them to be on the ground or almost touching to get splash damage is playing it safe.

You berate exo for going for airshots but try playing against him in pickup after pickup and see how fucking frustrated you get from him actually making a significant number of airshots!

Airshots for exo is not as uncommon as many of you would like to believe. I'm sure many people who participate in pickups regularily can attest to that.

Which gives him soo many bragging rights. If he's out performing another solly (who's just shooting at the ground and playing it safe), with making more airshots and kills... I mean seriously.. that's pure ownage.

Good video exo.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #44
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopajoo
Is it just me or do the euros always jump on and trash our avis or format of play? (5v5)
actually i think euros have been very restrained on both accounts. i've held back my opinions so far, but seeing as you asked:

1. all the USA FF avis i've seen are of seemingly (to me) low/mid-skilled players who remind me of how i used to play back when i had just started playing TF. i'm not talking in terms of aim, i'm talking in terms of what they aspire to do in any given situation, and the general way in which they play and move. perhaps you guys have just developed v different paly-styles that work better than "ours", but i'd be surprised if you found an experienced high-level euro TFer who didn't think that all the USA FF avis (that i've seen), although often very enjoyable and sometimes scattered with the odd nice clip, are mostly a catalogue of cringe-worthy low/mid-skill examples of what not to do. there's nothing wrong with that, just don't be surprised if some ppl rolleyes at those praising the skill level.

2. i dislike 5v5 because i think there is a lot more skill in both offence and defence when the defence has enough players to have at least 2 bl defenders and a "full" fl defence, as in a good defence this then allows the fl to maintain their structure a lot more as there is a much lower chance of the bl getting unlucky/etc (i.e. because there are 2 bl working together) and hence a much lower chance of caps leaking out simply as a matter of probability/inevitability rather than as a result of good play (as is so often the case with 1 bl if the fl hold their shape). the majority of CTF maps have 2 main routes into the fr and hence require 2 fl defenders, which therefore means you need a 4 player defence (2 fl + 2 bl). some maps, such as openfire/etc, have more (or just harder to defend defend) routes and so require 5 defenders to stop it being a big luck-based noobfest, but the majority of CTF maps need 4 defenders. any less than that and imo you're missing out on a vast chunk of the skills and strategies of the game both in offence and defence.

Last edited by caesium; 12-19-2008 at 04:07 PM.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #45
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

1. I agree in the quality of highlights being produced for the most part. Check out conc'd media's POTM films for what I consider to be the best highlight movies FF has to offer at the moment.

Perhaps I'm jaded, but coming from a quake 3 background, where the art of highlight movies has been perfected over the years, I have come to expect a great many things.

#1. Show me something new.
It doesn't have to be the most technical move in the world, but an outside the box conc into trimp or rampslide that I haven't thought of yet would be great.

#2. Show me the degree of skill:
Easy shots should appear effortless, difficult ones even more so.

#3 Show me who you are playing against.
It may look cleaner if you remove the kill list in the top right, but at that point I have no idea if that sentry sabotage killed 3 of mimic's top players or a bunch of scrubs in a pub.

#4. Keep moving.
Nobody wants to see you beat on your SG for 15 seconds prior to a wrench kill.

#5. You should edit out 90% of your footage for not being good enough.
I see way too many movies where there's a kill and then it cuts away from the action, just as the player is about to die. If you were unable to get a good play captured where you didn't die, you need to play more and do less movies.

#6 Your audience has lesson information when watching than you had when playing! The audience doesn't automatically know the score, the timeleft, your opponents, or anything else for that matter. If that is important to appreciate the play, then by all means, pause the action, and flash it on screen for a second. Also use slow motion to highlight technical tricks or flick shots that the audience may have missed the first time.

#7 Want to make good movies? Watch good movies.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #46
Gr3mLin

Class/Position: Soldier/Demo/Medic
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
There's a difference between skill and playing it safe. Getting airshots is pure skill. Waiting for them to be on the ground or almost touching to get splash damage is playing it safe.

You berate exo for going for airshots but try playing against him in pickup after pickup and see how fucking frustrated you get from him actually making a significant number of airshots!

Airshots for exo is not as uncommon as many of you would like to believe. I'm sure many people who participate in pickups regularily can attest to that.

Which gives him soo many bragging rights. If he's out performing another solly (who's just shooting at the ground and playing it safe), with making more airshots and kills... I mean seriously.. that's pure ownage.

Good video exo.

Well we'll put this theory to the test when team europe play him?
Gr3mLin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #47
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
blah blah blah blah.....................................
Give the guy the credit he deserves and move along ppl stop dragging it out ffs. That will be all!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #48
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

I want to weigh in on this.

Airshots require trajectory prediction.
Ground juggles require timing.

Ground juggles on offensive players in a match is the way to go, you keep the enemy alive while halting their progression before sending them back to the respawn, thus shaving seconds off the clock.

In mulching, I would prefer to airshot the opponent from a launch, and then finish with SSG, the soldier has way too much armor to bounce shotty shotty like you would a medic.

Exo, please be the first to break the nasty habit of calling your highlight films "avis" you'll find that if you lable it a "highlight film" or a "frag movie" you'll find more people watching it for the reasons you want them to, and less people not knowing what to expect. Also, your video is a wmv.

Too bad you're always going to have haters trying to call you out and give you shit. How you handle that is best left up to you, personally I'd say:

"put yo money in yo mouf and see how many teef you got left when I'm done face-fucking you." but thats just me.

Oh yes, how I would love to skill yo grill.

And you guys wondered what that meant... haha./

Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #49
Hoopajoo

Affiliations: ( GoodFellas . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
i'm talking in terms of what they apsire to do in any given situation, and the general way in which they play and move.
Durrrr me want cap flag. Me want rocket medic. Me want move bhop fastr. Me want undefeated.
Hoopajoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #50
Lateralols
mimic Altar`aG

Class/Position: Sollymer D
Gametype: Amature CTF 5v5
Affiliations: mimic
Caesium won this thread, you guys can hush now.

#mimic we play FF 24/7
Lateralols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #51
exosexattack
your mother and sisters

Class/Position: Soldier / D
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: GoodFellas
Send a message via AIM to exosexattack
dont be mean <3 your fellow fferz
exosexattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #52
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by exosexattack
dont be mean <3 your fellow fferz
You shut up you're mean to me all the time!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #53
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquilibriuM
You shut up you're mean to me all the time!
That's only cause he's got the hots for you and doesn't know how else to express himself. Classic schoolyard crush is what that is.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #54
exosexattack
your mother and sisters

thanks for the ego booster there bananahammok, as for you soulja i just wish that you would join us for some pickup games every once in a while RONNY

Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #55
FooL

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
nice vid with some good shots what are those solly skins? they look like the new tfc skins but with source graphics

as for the airshots if you can make em its the fastest way to kill your enemy in the most satisfying way there for i approve
FooL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #56
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooL View Post
what are those solly skins? they look like the new tfc skins but with source graphics
TFC player models for FF converted by Jester.
http://files.filefront.com/TFCplayer.../fileinfo.html

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #57
exosexattack
your mother and sisters

thanks squeek you big squeeky man boy