Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
o_xant

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
New Interview!

Hey peoples,
Just did an interview with Game Design dev member 'Dospac', you can check out the interview at the link below!

http://dx.ampednews.com/?page=articles&id=10920
o_xant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
We'll hopefully have a news post up soon announcing this + a few other things we've got in the works including our newest team member. Thanks for the interview!
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
o_kayuni

Nicely done interview good questions, responses. I haven't seen much of Amped News before, but I'll take a look around sometime, it looks nice.
o_kayuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
o_xant

Thanks! Yeah we have several parts of Amped News, currently we have esports(competitive gaming) and DX(game mods). More sub-sites will be added in the near future
o_xant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
o_docwolfe

nice interview
o_docwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
o_thenuke0

W00T

Now we can have a slight idea whats going on

Thanks !
o_thenuke0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuke0
W00T

Now we can have a slight idea whats going on

Thanks !
What? You've been around for most of the stuff answered in that interview haven't you? *shrugs*

One thing intresting is to hear that they haven't given up on spy feigning just yet.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
o_thenuke0

and that theyre around the halfway mark....

the big media release mentioned there has been promised for ages....

some of the questions/responses are indeed old news....

Old 06-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
spy feigning sounds like quite a bitch to implement :/ i did hear somewhere about the torso physics being moved to server side, and the limbs being client side. that should work for the torso anyway
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
o_ginger lord

Was just thinking why its so hard to do the feigning death, then realised why i think it's hard, not sure if this is the reason but:

HL1 it was just an animation, so everything looked the same. In Source you can do animations but all the spy's feigned will look the same and stick out, plus won't have ragdolls so could end up floating.

So you use ragdolls, but they're a pain to get the same on everyones system, guessing thats why torsos are server side so its roughly the same. Eitherway "feigning", lowering viewpoint, creating ragdoll, waiting, removing ragdoll and somehow putting player model back and restoring view point, looks tricky enough.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
o_travis dane

If the halfway-remark of Dospac carries any validity at all, they've progressed further than I thought them to.

Quote:
So you use ragdolls, but they're a pain to get the same on everyones system
I've never understood the problem here. I'm assuming there aren't any random elements in calculating ragdoll physics, or physics in general for that matter. So how can two bodies that are in the exact same dying position end up differently on the ground?
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
o_ginger lord

All ragdolls are produced client side, so each computer interprets them differently, they all get the same data, but you'll never get a body fall the same way.

Record a demo in CS: S of people killing people and then shooting stuff up. Then watch it back later, each time the game is run it calculates it differently, people end up shooting the floor instead of the objects.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
All ragdolls are produced client side, so each computer interprets them differently, they all get the same data, but you'll never get a body fall the same way.
That just doesn't make sense. If the exact same data is fed into mathematical fuctions, how can there possibly be a different outcome? That is unless the server doesn't actually send the same model data to each player, which would be my guess, due to latency and such.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #14
o_ginger lord

Well if you punch 10 people in the face with the same force, they won't fall the exact same way each time will they? There's the randomness involved, I mean if its even 1/2 a degree off then one of the joints may not bend the correct way so will pull the body differently.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
o_thenuke0

I think its most simple to actually kill the guy to take care of the ragdoll effects , but leave him with the deadview and add something so ppl can shoot the body and kill.... i guess it wont be a problem (although i know nothing about programming in HL2) since the game system can recognize if a bullet hit a dead body....

saving the data about the players viewpoint , hp, armor and equipment shouldnt be a problem as well.....

it may be what they did in HL1 since when you feigning death there , you the "ugghh" same as a normal dead guy. (again , i know nothing about programming in HL1 as well )

Old 06-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #16
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
If we could trust clients with hit detection on the feigned spy, it would be simple. Unfortunately you can't do that.

The "big media release" isn't really media, though it might include some.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #17
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
If we could trust clients with hit detection on the feigned spy, it would be simple. Unfortunately you can't do that.

The "big media release" isn't really media, though it might include some.
Yes, that made my brain explode. I can't for even one second try to figure out what a media release without media is.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #18
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
Well if you punch 10 people in the face with the same force, they won't fall the exact same way each time will they? There's the randomness involved, I mean if its even 1/2 a degree off then one of the joints may not bend the correct way so will pull the body differently.
That's true. But then, you're comparing different situations, while (if correct) the scenario on all the players' computers should be EXACTLY the same. Which should result in ragdolls falling EXACTLY the same. Maybe VALVe indeed tried to mimmick real-life's inherent instability, and threw in some random elements, which boils down to my original question wether or not this is the case.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #19
o_meisteh

LEWL WTF GUYTHS.

there's that delay thing called latency between clients and the server and this differs from client to client. therefore they don't all have the same data at the same time being fed through and thus ragdolls could go anywhere!!!1 you know how some people bitch when a dialup players shotguns them when they're already around a corner on their own screen.

plus there's always packet loss, etc...
o_meisteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #20
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Hence my quotes. We've never said it was media. I was just taking your words and trying to explain better. News, big news. Not media!