Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
myersjr

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Don't worry Pon, we'll be having Night Fights for you people over the pond soon enough. I'm not going to let them stagnate.

You'll see what I mean in a day or two.
Is there going to be a fight night on Friday?? IF so, which server?? Ill be sure to not miss it.. Woot
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #22
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Absolutely would want to work it into the program.

Next question.

I forget the map, sandbowl or dustdesert or some lame ass name like that. But you could capture command points (only in order, you'd have to have point 1 before point 2) back and forth like command point. The thing is, you have to do it in order, you can't skip around the whole map. What's that called?

If not we need a name. I'd say yo-yo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
warpath?
pretty sure that was it and also ended up being the term for any other maps like that. Although there really weren't many (can't even think of another off hand TBH).
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pon
But I find most people take the attitude of "it's easier to stick to a gamemode I know". Presumably because they don't get killed repeatedly/confused because they haven't bothered to take even 2 seconds to learn what the hell is going on.
I don't think that's the case, especially in FF when most of the players are vets from before who understand the map.

I think it's more of a repetative thing. For example, you play 4 ctf maps in a row, then DB. It's a completely different feel, and it takes time to adjust to the different game play, some adjust quickly other's don't. Which usually makes for unbalanced games. Plus the fact that once it's over you're moving on back to a CTF map usually, again another adjustment.

I hate only playing 1 round of db then moving on. That's why I liked dustbowl 24/7 servers back in TFC. Same players stick to the map through map restarts, you play an awesome round of O, then you want to try and replicate that with D (or vice versa). You get to know and understand the layouts and strats people like to use, and become efficient at executing your own.

Plus some servers in FF have extremly long map times. When DB is designed for 25 minutes and you're playing it on a server that's forcing you to do 60 minutes of it, it's seriously discouraging for defense. How on earth do you defend for 60 minutes straight? Sooner or later some O get's through.

It doesn't even have to be 60 minutes. Points count up every soo many minutes. If the server's time is longer than DB's preset requirement then you can have matches where blue caps round3, but red's score is still higher. Which opens the door for dispute on map change on who actually won.

*Edit* I would actually like to see DB incorporate a bit of avanti style to it. Whereas the map actually lasts for 2x25 minute rounds. At the end of the first 25 minutes blue and red are switched, and blue then run's D for the 3 cap points in the 2nd 25 minute round.

That way there would be a better display of "Who's team is better" Since you'd take the combined total of both rounds and whoever's score is higher wins.

Last edited by Hammock; 05-13-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
Pon
Not choking. Yet.
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Demo/Def - Spy/Off
Gametype: Anything but yet more fucking CTF
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
Plus some servers in FF have extremly long map times. When DB is designed for 25 minutes and you're playing it on a server that's forcing you to do 60 minutes of it, it's seriously discouraging for defense. How on earth do you defend for 60 minutes straight? Sooner or later some O get's through.
I agree here (not that I don't agre with some of the rest of the post, but wanted to say something on this specifically )... It would be nice if there was some was in the LUA to tell the server to change map after the map's time is up irrespective of the server timelimit, as there was in TFC specifically for this purpose.

Actually, there might be I guess. I'll look at it I suppose... though it would need to be added to the base_ad LUA.

YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD UPDATE YOUR STAFF LIST!
I haven't posted since 2010...

Preferable to death. But only just...
Pon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #25
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
warpath?
I don't think so. I remember one of the capture points was in a building - you had to go up a small ramp and to the side. Another one of the points was on a bridge. Both sides could cap points, I believe. There was sand texture and the like everywhere - it looked very much like dustbowl, texture-wise.

I remember it had either dust- or -bowl in its name - I'm pretty sure about that. Maybe it was sandbowl? I don't know. /=

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #26
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
I don't think so. I remember one of the capture points was in a building - you had to go up a small ramp and to the side. Another one of the points was on a bridge. Both sides could cap points, I believe. There was sand texture and the like everywhere - it looked very much like dustbowl, texture-wise.

I remember it had either dust- or -bowl in its name - I'm pretty sure about that. Maybe it was sandbowl? I don't know. /=
sandbowl was just a remake of dustbowl. Just like legobowl..etc.

It seriously sounds like you're describing warpath.

Everyone starts in their base at the furthest cap they're automatically given at the start. Blue = 1, Red = 5.

Each team races forward (the map being symmetrical on each side. Blue = 2, Red = 4. Coming out of your base you run straight forward, on your right you see a spawn door (that you'll spawn out of once you control the 2nd capture point). The 2nd capture point is just up ahead in a building to your left. Go through the entrace, run up a small ramp and just to the left at the top is the command point. This is also considered the 2nd yard (home yard being the first). From there you exit two ways, through a tunnel to your right, or up a ramp. Both bring you to the 3rd yard (middle yard).

In that it looks identicle for each team, with the 3rd cap in the center on the bridge. Normally you fight back on forth for 3. Once you get 3, you go on to the next. For Blue they got to get 4, for red it will be 2. Game ends once you get the enemy's home base.

And warpath very much looked like dustbowl textures.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #27
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
yea, ihmhi, sounds exactly like warpath.

for the 60 mintues thing;
this is why FF needs the TF2-style rounds. they just work so much better
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #28
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
definitely sounds like warpath to me...is this the map your talking of Ihmhi?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #29
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Man.. those descriptions really make me wanna play warpath.

we have dustbowl, cornfield, palermo & waterhazard. avanti and warpath are being worked on i think (or i hope!).. add CZ2 maybe, and we'd have a kickass AvD server. C'mon somebody

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products

Last edited by pF; 05-13-2008 at 11:37 PM.
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #30
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pon
I agree here (not that I don't agre with some of the rest of the post, but wanted to say something on this specifically )... It would be nice if there was some was in the LUA to tell the server to change map after the map's time is up irrespective of the server timelimit, as there was in TFC specifically for this purpose.

Actually, there might be I guess. I'll look at it I suppose... though it would need to be added to the base_ad LUA.
That's a must, time limited rounds for DB style maps (Avanti style can be as long as you want, though they shouldn't last more than 30 mins IMO). In fact, in TFC it didn't matter the server's time limit: when a DB style map was on, the round always lasted 22 - 23 minutes (which gives 110-115 points to a succesful D, equaling to the 110 the O gets for all three CPs)
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
Pon
Not choking. Yet.
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Demo/Def - Spy/Off
Gametype: Anything but yet more fucking CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
sandbowl was just a remake of dustbowl.
Well, thats wrong :P. Sandbowl was an original map, but it did make great use of the dustbowl textures and style. I believe it's still in rotation over on the .id Europe TFC servers if you want to check

But your right about warpath, definitly sounds like warpath.

YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD UPDATE YOUR STAFF LIST!
I haven't posted since 2010...

Preferable to death. But only just...
Pon is offline   Reply With Quote