Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the sniper be banned from CTF maps?
Yes, the devs should remove the sniper class from CTF style maps altogether. 17 16.67%
No, server admins should be the ones to make that decision. 21 20.59%
No, the sniper class should stay exactly as is. 23 22.55%
No, the sniper class should try to be improved by the devs to allow him to take on a better roll. 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #201
Mudfrog

Class/Position: D - Sniper, Demo, Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Yea, snipers already have to account for lag by firing ahead of a moving target so a bullet delay would just further increase that, gotta say I disagree with that one.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #202
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
I was thinking of maybe something like the crossbow, lethal up close (if used right) but can also effectively kill from a distance. Not saying it should be the same, but a similar concept might work.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #203
Mrboom

Class/Position: Demo O and D
Gametype: Pub
I enjoy playing sniper..

Am I amazing at it? Not a chance
Do I enjoy Sniper wars? No it gets old fast

85% of the time Im a sniper I try to get into the enemies base to either take down a SG or from time to to time sneak up on the other teams sniper.

Just the other day on a PUB server playing Aardvark I was able to take the water tunnel to the air elevator and shoot out the SG the engi had next to his teams cap point. As I watched my points increase I heard the Engi yell out.. WHERE THE HECK IS THAT GUY?

To me that question should be asked more times then not.. I agree with giving the sniper the ability to cloak when he is fully charged. Realism is in this game to some level.. The Pyro doesnt run around throwing water on everyone and the Scout doesnt carry the big guns.. No its not 100% real but it has a base in the real world..

So why not give the sniper a little more stealthy ness. A little more, wtf just happened ability.
Mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #204
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrboom
I enjoy playing sniper..

Am I amazing at it? Not a chance
Do I enjoy Sniper wars? No it gets old fast

85% of the time Im a sniper I try to get into the enemies base to either take down a SG or from time to to time sneak up on the other teams sniper.

Just the other day on a PUB server playing Aardvark I was able to take the water tunnel to the air elevator and shoot out the SG the engi had next to his teams cap point. As I watched my points increase I heard the Engi yell out.. WHERE THE HECK IS THAT GUY?

To me that question should be asked more times then not.. I agree with giving the sniper the ability to cloak when he is fully charged. Realism is in this game to some level.. The Pyro doesnt run around throwing water on everyone and the Scout doesnt carry the big guns.. No its not 100% real but it has a base in the real world..

So why not give the sniper a little more stealthy ness. A little more, wtf just happened ability.
Mr Boom, i like that, adds a bit of intrigue..lol
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #205
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
I camp in that place often. Though cloaking while fully charged would just be way too overpowered. No, I say get rid of the laser pointing. No, not the dot at your crosshair, people should still be able to see that. I'm talking about the ability to see the laser pointing at you from afar. It just isn't right that pointing at somone while charged should put a big "SNIPER" sign on top of you. It just isn't right. It completely ruins stealth.
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #206
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCUJO
how would a bullet delay return a sniper to usefullness in pubs, and make the sniper usefull in clan matches?
i was just throwing the idea out there.
People can expand upon ideas, so i was merely providing a basis for that.

Going off what handym said:
What about only making that laser visible if the rifle is charged and aimed at your head?
So you can take body shots without worrying about being spotted
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #207
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Like it! Like it a lot!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #208
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I'm sorta starting to like the cloak as a way of letting Snipers feel more comfortable on offense, letting them get into position inside the enemy base instead of their own and take out pesky defenders, but at the same time the cloak mechanics already in place aren't that great already.

If the cloak got overhauled then maybe.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #209
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I like to burst bubbles so...

A cloaking mechanism won't make the sniper an attractive choice on offense for the same reason that a cloaked spy doesn't really do much of anything on offense. Great, a sniper can move into position to take someone out.

But wait, what? You'd figure spies would be able to do the same thing anyway... but they can't. That is to say, not against someone who is playing seriously.

If you are going to add something in, it has to be useful on more than just a few maps, or maps that are designed to benefit it. It doesn't really fix anything.

If you examine D currently, there is a place for all D classes on all maps. SD2, monkey, siden, plasma, congestus, etc. There is always a spot for a class to play.

If the sniper is to be made into a niche O and D class then he needs to excel in those areas. So he can cloak and get into place inside the enemy base. What does that do for him exactly? Do you think he won't be noticed as he uncloaks and charges his shot? It just doesn't work, especially after not doing much of anything for a period of time (cloak=slow movement... no conc=slow movement).

It might be a possibility if cloak mechanics were changed dramatically.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #210
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
It might be a possibility of cloak mechanics were changed dramatically.
I do believe I specified that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
If the cloak got overhauled then maybe.
Yeah that seems familiar.

The cloak would have to function while he's charging his shot, obviously. After he fires it should probably uncloak.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #211
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
I do believe I specified that.
Any ideas?

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #212
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

None that haven't been posted a dozen times already - full speed, nodraw model at least while standing still, footsteps, etc. All of these would work for the Sniper's benefit as well, should he receive the ability.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #213
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
None that haven't been posted a dozen times already - full speed, nodraw model at least while standing still, footsteps, etc. All of these would work for the Sniper's benefit as well, should he receive the ability.
It would be "ok" as is if he could charge his shot while cloaked. However, it'd still be pretty niche. Fun for pubs, though.

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #214
Mrboom

Class/Position: Demo O and D
Gametype: Pub
What if he was able to slowly fade into a cloak.

Just time it with his charge.. Fully cloaked = Fully charged...
Basically its a built in timer.

I also agree with getting red of the laser, leave the dot but remove the red laser of death.

Also if you want to push him more towards O then increase his speed alittle.. Not to make him as fast as a scout but just beef him up alittle.. This way he can get in, take out his target, and get out.
Mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #215
Mudfrog

Class/Position: D - Sniper, Demo, Soldier
Snipers can take out any SG with one charged shot.. tell me that wouldn't be useful.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #216
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog
Snipers can take out any SG with one charged shot.. tell me that wouldn't be useful.

Cloak doesn't get you into bases undetected unless you're playing with people who are blind.

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #217
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Which is the reason you have your good friend "team offense"

Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #218
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
Which is the reason you have your good friend "team offense"
And that doesn't get you into bases undetected. Cloak is incredibly easy to see.

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #219
SSCUJO

i actually have to agree with you there, cloak is extremely easy to see... there is one problem with the idea of a cloak. if you go with the idea of only cloaked while shot is charging, you will find yourself going very very slow from the front door of the enemy base all the way to the flag room, so thats pointless.

although i have to agree that cloak is easy to see, i should speficify that it is easier to 'notice' when closer and harder to 'notice' when the target is at a distance. and of course we all know what kind of distance the sniper likes to stand at. i think the majority of spies get detected while moving... snipers move very very little while preping a shot. but once again as soon as that first shot goes off, an sg may be down, but the sniper is as good as dead and the whole song and dance starts overagain that going all the way into a base and taking that long to get there for 1 kill just isn't worth it...
SSCUJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #220
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Being frozen or blinded is more annoying than just being killed.