Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Dev hacks!

=SF= ReHab
Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #22
fidy

The reason anybody would use, or conceive of, these skins is to have an advantage over other players.

Isn't that true, or did I miss something?
fidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #23
Rehab

You fighting a loosing battle here. Besides when is having a skin a cheat?

I can see it being banned from league play, but I think it's just fine for pub play.

=SF= ReHab
Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #24
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
Also if the field of view is the big problem here, why do you reckon there is a command to change the fov, deliberately placed in the game by the devs themselves?
tfc had this for a long time, dont know if they ever removed it
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #25
Zatoichi

no it was never removed, i use fov_120.
people considering this may want to install it manually..i used winrar and extracted to the ff folder and had to reinstall FF cause it would just crash.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #26
rebo

Regarding transparent weapons : If it was only about advantages one can play with r_drawviewmodel 0 which is a valid command and shows all of the screen.

Unless one is talking about the most blatant of cases something being labelled an exploit/cheat is a grey area. When determining wether something is a cheat or exploit or not a number of factors need to be taken into account.

(1) Designers Intentions - Sometimes something that may be seem like a cheat has actually been intentionally coded in by the developers. For instance I know people who believe rocket jumping is a cheat and whilst it was explicitely coded into the original TFC it can still be seen as an exploit by some.

(2) Ease of use/accessibility -

If something is accessible to only a few players it could well be considered a bad exploit. However if everyone knows about it, how to do it and can learn/use it one may consider it fair game even tho the severity of the issue hasnt changed. One example is Bunnyhopping, when this was first discovered in TFC by a player called j00p there was a hell of a lot of discussion controversy and argument. Defrag thought the best way to settle the arguement was make sure enough people know about it and understand it and then a fair assessment could be made. He showed some guys in North America and after a short while Bhopping generally became acceptabe in TFC ( Although for a time it was banned in various leagues ). If J00p had never told anyone how he did it, and kept the secret to himself most people would have no qualms about banning the thing, but the act of oppening the accessibility of it to everyone created a level playing field. Unfortunately quite a few people in TFC didnt have that opinion and decided to leave the game, but in hindsight TFC probably needed a shake up at that time and I do think the whole bhop saga injected something new into a game that was already getting old.

Ofcourse that's not to say equal accessibility always turns an exploit into an acccepted play style, imagine if everyone had equal access to a aimbot - the game would suck. A more subtle example is no explosions - whilst these were available to everyone thru some well known custom sites most organised TFC felt it was too much of an advantage and significantly took away skill and depth to the game. No more could offence blind defense by a covering grenade. In this case moves were made to ban it.

(3) Custom Ability / Fun Factor.

Many skins available for TFC were brightly coloured with stupid florecent bands, or big pimp daddy chains. It can be argued that these are an advantage but conversely if nothing custom was allowed the game would be much poorer and less fun. Therefore these things are generally supported.

(4) Effect on gameplay..

Probably the most important aspect is what is the actual effect on gameplay, how severe is the impact of for instance transparent weapons. Well its surely not as bad as transparent sgs, or explosions , or walls for that matter. So put it into context and weigh up the respectve advantages / disadvantages. Bhop changed the gameplay dramatically, but it also added a certain amount of skill to the game. Furthermore the eventual Bhop limit introduced by valve was not necessarily a bad thing at all because it ment other skills such as ramp sliding and trimping could come to the fore.

So please before people shout "EXPLOIT" or "CHEAT" to anything new different , unusual or peculiar please consider all the 4 points above. It may turn out that the thing should definitely be discouraged/banned/locked or patched out but you know you might be surprised how some things can add depth and fun to the game.
rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #27
Sp0tteh

lol, its not a cheat. their great

thx OnionS
Sp0tteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #28
DD`

Wouldn't say it's a cheat, but it looks awful.
DD` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #29
semu

its not a cheat.

i dont use transparent models cause i like to see the weapon model and for me its not a disadvantage or do u think ppl hiding in the field of view where ur weapon is? haha.

a widescreen display gives u advantage, but is it a cheat? NO its not.
using external tools like powerstrip to brighten up ur game with high gamma gives u advantage over the ppl who dont use such tools. a cheat? NO.

anyway ppl can turn off the model completly and thats a bigger advantage over transparent models. u have a clear view and u dont see annoying reload animations.

u said reload animation helps? nobody needs to see the animation, u can see the ammo in ur hud anyway and u know the delay when reloading a rocket or smth. in tfc i removed all reload animations from my visible models.

in quake u can set drawviewmodel from 0 to 1 (0 off, 1 on, any value between is transparent, 0.5 semi etc). would be nice in ff too. lots of ppl use transparent models and with this feature we dont hear ppl, who played nothing else than tetris before, crying its a cheat.

and dont tell me its ok in quake cause its a feature and its a cheat in ff. yes ff doesnt have this command integrated, but as tfc it supports custom stuff like models and sounds and transparent or not, its a custom model.
semu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #30
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD`
Wouldn't say it's a cheat, but it looks awful.
i agree, anybody that spends time doing uvw texture maping should never be insulted by somebody takeing the textures away lol, esp on the detailed parts of the game like weapons
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #31
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semu
using external tools like powerstrip to brighten up ur game with high gamma gives u advantage over the ppl who dont use such tools. a cheat? NO.
lambert a cheat? fuck yeah. so is that.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:29 AM   #32
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidy
There is no debate. With the console command you also don't visually see your weapon reloading, nor do you hear the sounds associated with said action.

These skins are a plain cheat.
So? You still see your ammo counter on the side, which shows your weapon reloading because you can just see the numbers going up.

All it does is put a middle ground between no weapons and completely solid weapons.

If the devs were really concerned about weapons, they could have made it so none of them could be customized at all, ever, amen and duck sauce. The bigger concerns are models (affects hitboxes), textures (could be made invisibles!), and asplosions (could also be made see-through, like spicy girlfriend underwear!).

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #33
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
may i say (lawl at ihmhi) that i wish you made it using the shaders of the spy cloak. i just love that effect, it just looks awsomeness. then i would DL it, and be happy. could you possibly do it? thanks.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #34
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
also, i dont see how see-though expoltions are that big of a deal. sure, its cheap, but the sprite (at least in TFC) last for like less than one second.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 02:37 AM   #35
semu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
lambert a cheat? fuck yeah. so is that.
lambert is totally different, it affects models only and make them shiny in the dark. those tools make the game brighter in general, u can even do it in ur gfx drivers.
semu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 02:39 AM   #36
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
lambert is totally different, it affects models only and make them shiny in the dark. those tools make the game brighter in general, u can even do it in ur gfx drivers.
You can also just turn up the gamma manually on your monitor... and there is pretty much no way of detecting that.

Something that increases brightness equally, no biggie - something that increases brightness of certain portions (i.e. the old "high visibility models" debate) is definitely cheatzorz in my book. This is not Quake 3.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #37
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
sv_pure 1

Done.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #38
OnionS

lol, weapons r the only models which should be allowed to be transparent, they hardly provide any advantage.

And Im not sure about how they effect fps, sorry to those who asked.
OnionS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #39
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
GOD THE FF FORUMS ARE LAME LATELY. SH*T DESUSSIONS GOING ON AND ON.

Nice one OnionS
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #40
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I wouldn't concider this any more a "cheat" than having:
  • Using a higher resolution
  • Buying a top-knotch video card for that extra fps boost
  • Having a physically larger monitor, so as to see opponents in the distance easier
  • Using a laser-mouse as opposed to a ball-mouse for that extra precision

All of which give User A an advantage over User B.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote