Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #21
Chaotic Llama
L | l a m a f i e d !

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
call me ignorant...
Ignorant.. there, happy?

We use many custom addons and 'IS' what draws players in, vanilla servers blow (no offense intended). If a server op cant keep his admins accountable then they shouldn't be admining.

$.02 cents
Chaotic Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #22
Chaotic Llama
L | l a m a f i e d !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
call me ignorant...
Ignorant.. there, happy?

We use many custom addons and 'IS' what draws players in, vanilla servers blow (no offense intended). If a server op cant keep his admins accountable then they shouldn't be admining.

$.02 cents
Chaotic Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 AM   #23
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
More like Autoroot. :<

[note to self: contact r007]
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #24
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Llama
If a server op cant keep his admins accountable then they shouldn't be admining.
what? accountable? er..

basically imo you either trust someone to look after your server, or you dont. none of this "hey random dude you look cool but i dont know very well, i'll let you only kick people and change the map"

wtf?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #25
Mangetsu
Dangerous Pyromaniac

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I only liked a Light version of NeoTFC, ''light'', you know what I meant, mervaka type of servers, no pointless downloads, full gameplay
Mangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #26
Cul8r

Have none of you never given RCON to somebody and regretted it later? I have seen that happen too many times. Yes, you have to be careful, but you don't always know 100 percent. So if you don't trust anybody enough to give them RCON, there is never anybody around to keep the server running smoothly. The advantage in my opinion to these admin mods is not the slap, slay, bury, or llama commands, but rather the ability to give noob admins a chance to learn without giving them access to everything. That way you can protect your server from two potential threats.

*What? No radio mod?????
Cul8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #27
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cul8r
Have none of you never given RCON to somebody and regretted it later? I have seen that happen too many times. Yes, you have to be careful, but you don't always know 100 percent. So if you don't trust anybody enough to give them RCON, there is never anybody around to keep the server running smoothly. The advantage in my opinion to these admin mods is not the slap, slay, bury, or llama commands, but rather the ability to give noob admins a chance to learn without giving them access to everything. That way you can protect your server from two potential threats.

*What? No radio mod?????
i was locked out of my own server once from a clan member because he got pissed over a loss. "if we dont start fu*king getting our shit together were disbanning"

haha wow those were the days...
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #28
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
Is bot support going to be in the first release
That's a big maybe.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #29
MrSparkle
UGC Fortress Director

Bots for offline or lan mode only, dammit. Bots killed TFC after the move to Steam. I would rather join an empty server and wait for it to fill vs even having one bot running. It's better to have 5 active no bot servers then 100 with mostly bots playing on them. I will not play on a server that is running bots, even if they drop when enough players join.

I think I am more anti bot then anti hack and that's saying something. You have no idea.

Just say no to bots.
MrSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #30
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
The bots are there for training (which won't make the first release for various reasons), whether or not they'll be enabled for online games is unknown to me. They certainly work in them now.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #31
MrSparkle
UGC Fortress Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
The bots are there for training (which won't make the first release for various reasons), whether or not they'll be enabled for online games is unknown to me. They certainly work in them now.
Wise are those that choose this path they follow. The more I see/hear/read the more faith I have. Dare I sip the kool-aid?

Bring in on baby, I'm ready.
MrSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #32
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
I must say that most admins suck, myself included (unless it's a clanwar, I abide by the rules then!) but even though RCON>admin_mod, admin mod still might be usefull sometimes.
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #33
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

It's easier to use, definitely. And it's impossible to leak power to someone else, accidentally or otherwise, through a single password.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #34
Torrerre

I know of no AdminMod development, or even sure if I would be able to develop anything. Really need to have a look at the output and code to figure something out (if time/motivation).

I don't know what I would have done without others' AdminMod development for Odin's.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 AM   #35
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
believe it or not I arleady came across of a bot server, even though the bot wasnt worth jack.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 02:28 AM   #36
mullen1200

I really think its kind of sad, to down any server thats running mani or other admin mods. Theres no reason to not give a server/admin a chance just because its on the server.
mullen1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 02:56 AM   #37
Mrbbad
tf2.org Gnome Wrangler

Personally, on my server, we really don't give a crap what anyone does. I have rather found it makes just enjoying the game tremendously easier.

That aside, basic admin mods like sourcemod are excellent, I use it to administer votes for map changes for people, send notices via csay like "server going down briefly..." and in general it is more secure since it is tied to steam IDs and not a general password -- AND sourcemod automatically recognizes us, so we don't even need passwords...reserved slots?...oh my!

THAT TOO aside, I would love a BASIC stats tool that demonstrates when the server is most used, by who, for how long, most played classes -- stuff like that. (Wish there was one.)

So there are clear benefits to using some add-ons.

As for rather or not admins suck, who knows, but there are plenty of servers anyways. Personally I don't like the lame "no swearing" servers. More than two rules (i.e. No illegal stuff. No blocking doors.) is what I consider excessive...but that is me.

And that's my mini-opinion on it...

Last edited by Mrbbad; 09-17-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Mrbbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #38
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I agree with Mervaka that if you don't trust someone then they shouldn't have admins on your server. However, I think admin tools have their place as well. Ease of use to kick/ban as well as player tracking over time. A player can come and go with multiple different names, over hours or days and cause trouble and perhaps have contact with several different admins. It's good to be able to see a player's record over time so that a judgment can be made to keep them around or not.

For Example:

This guy came in over several days and was an idiot a few times. He was kicked by two different admins, banned by a third for 60 minutes over a period of a month. Without administration tools he'd have just kept coming back again and again... The Ironic thing is that one of our admin tools for TFC would make someone who had been kicked more then once or temp banned glow in the dark. This particular guy was bitching about that glow, so we reviewed his record and decided he should leave permanently.

Then there are guys who hack, like this one:

It's nice to be able to know about them ahead of time.

Aside from all of that, without being able to vote on maps would suck.

Scuzzy