Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #21
Atari

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Really sorry to hear that Iggy.

It really is a fucking nasty disease. Just to put things in perspective a little, everyone reading this thread will know 'at least' one person who has been affected by cancer or they will do at some point.

Anyway, the problem I see with that theory (a cure already being known) is that every type of cancer is so different. I'm not going to pretend to know much about cancer as I really don't, I just don't see a single cure for all types.
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #22
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Actually, the cancers aren't so much different, but the causes are. Rose was genetically predisposed to cancer. Meaning that she carried a gene, inherited from her father, that made it highly likely for her to develope two specific cancers. Her father died from Pancreatic cancer, due to the gene he inherited from one of his parents(I honestly don't know which). Rose was only diagnosed with the cancer gene after it was too late to do anything about it. Her kids were tested, and her daughter found clear of the gene. Her son, however, has it. Meaning that he will either face Pancreatic cancer later in life, or will at least know enough to be tested regularly as a preventative measure.
Had Rose known, even 5 years prior, that she was carrying that gene, she would still be alive today. The last 3 years of her life would have been healthy, relatively happy, and without the living hell that her final months became for both of us.

Education is essential! Testing for the gene should be mandatory for insurance companies.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 01:32 AM   #23
Zencheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Come guys, he's got a really fast internet connection remember? He must be telling th truth here! You've seen those "comcast" commercials right? Zencheetah opens up his cable, poors out a little "high-speed" and whala, he's cured cancer!
You're trying too hard. Couldn't wait to get another crack at me could you?

Either way:

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=871&id=d1555()|

http://media.www.studentprintz.com/m.../01/23/Opinion
/Scientists.Cure.Cancer.But.No.One.Takes.Notice-2667600.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroacetate

http://www.wanderings.net/notebook/M...llsMostCancers

Very interesting articles, I suggest you read them and look up more on the drug.
Zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #24
Atari

Thanks for posting the articles, was an interesting read, however saying there is a treatment that effectivly eliminates 90% of most cancers is untrue, as is the claim that it's not widly known.

For those that cba to read through the above artclies, the headlines:

- Cancer cells use glycolysis rather than oxidation for energy (aka Warburg effect)
- Dichloroacetic acid (the drug Zencheetah is referring to) shifts the metabolism from glycolysis to oxidation, hence starving the cancer
- This drug cannot be patented and the compound is cheap to make

The drug has only been tested in rats where the results were promising. However, as is normally the case, it's very likely that these results will NOT translate to humans. Have a read of this article for more information.

The ones who benefit from cancer are the pharmaceutical companies, sad but true, but they are primarily businesses and they're the ones who cough up the money for the majority of research and production of drugs.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #25
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Ontopic question, I have been trying to get Folding@Home to work and it is a real bitch and not exactly user friendly.

I am broke six ways from Sunday but at least I can contribute spare processing power to the cause... if only I could get it to work. >_<

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #26
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
cancer really is a hard thing to deal with. because it takes most people by suprise and whether it is treatable or not it is still a punch in the face...

if there is a cure for cancer i am sure not all geneicists are corrupt. their job is to cure. its the older ones that get money greedy. the ones starting fresh in the field i would have to say have a good heart and a good mind. eventually there will be a cure.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #27
Zencheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
Thanks for posting the articles, was an interesting read, however saying there is a treatment that effectivly eliminates 90% of most cancers is untrue, as is the claim that it's not widly known.
Yeah, I went a bit over in saying that. But still, those gave me major hope in creating a cure. It just find it sad that this isn't being researched more.
Zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #28
Atari

Yeah agreed, I'm sure one day they'll come across some kind of breakthrough, more than likely by mistake which seems to be the norm.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #29
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Meanwhile, live a healthier life!
Player is offline   Reply With Quote