Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
Suite307

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Fallout 3 , in the hands of Bethesda!

Bethesda who have been licensing Fallout 3 from Interplay, has bought the Fallout series Intellectual Property Rights for $5.75 million.

Good news!
Source : http://megagames.com/news/html/pc/fa...dashands.shtml
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
fastbilly1

All I can hope for is to go in the vein of the originals and not go with some sort of stunningly beautiful techdemo that leaves many old fans annoyed. I mean they already did that with their own series...
fastbilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I predict amazing graphics, but a game that is nowhere near the quality of the previous games. Look at what they did to the ES series.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
FullMonty
Yarr.

I was just thinking last night about how badly I want to play a GOOD Fallout themed RPG that's 1st person. Interesting. Let's hope they dont fuck it up, I'd rather HL2 graphics with the entire world loading in zones like in Oblivion. I'd take that over Oblivion which to me, for some reason, never looked all that great. I prefer source over Oblivion for sure.
FullMonty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
Agret

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Interplay have also become the first licensee of the Fallout IP, they've licensed it from Bethesda to create an MMORPG. I reckon Bethesda will screwup the game.

The story was on Digg 2 days ago, http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/Fall...ld_To_Bethesda

Bethesda said that they don't belive humour should be in a game, they said their idea of humour is when you kill someone and a small character pops up saying "Nice job" or something. Sucks to be Fallout 3.
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
Vertical
Programmer/Web Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Vertical Send a message via AIM to Vertical Send a message via MSN to Vertical Send a message via Yahoo to Vertical
Well after seeing what Bethesda did with Star Trek Legacy, I'm not so sure what my take on them is... Oblivion was awesome graphics, and a pretty good game, but Legacy sucked balls graphic wise and gameplay wise.
Vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
Zencheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307
Bethesda who have been licensing Fallout 3 from Interplay, has bought the Fallout series Intellectual Property Rights for $5.75 million.

Good news!
Source : http://megagames.com/news/html/pc/fa...dashands.shtml
I don't know how the hell that is good news. Fallout was a great game, and the team that made fallout was great. Where as Bethesda created oblivion, a game so chock full of bugs and poor content that the players had to make mods as quickly as possible to cover up the mistakes. Bethesda is the company that charges 5 dollars for a horse armor mod that should have been in the game before hand.

Sure oblivion had pretty graphics only at full settings, but the rest of the game was sub par. Every dungeon around the world was exactly the same, all the monsters grew in level with you, so a normal timber wolf became "Wolfzar ravager of man flesh" when you're level 20.

Oh and don't forget that amazing teleport feature that was in oblivion, providing great fantasy fun so you didn't have to do half of the game because it sucked. Seriously, there wouldn't be a need to put that in if walking across the world wasn't a pain in the ass and there was something to do other than raid the same dungeon over and over and over, with your monsters that never change looks, save for some size variation. You know, stretching of the model.

Also the towns were damn horrible, with that amazing radient AI being thrown around everywhere like projectile diarrhea onto your senses "Yeah dude! shooting arrows at a guards face while you have 100 stealth is fucking awesome and so real, like the way he says "What was that noise!? Oh, it probably was a rat"".

Seriously, I can go on and on. But the fact is that this game should NOT be in the hands of this abortion of a company.
Zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Fjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical
Well after seeing what Bethesda did with Star Trek Legacy, I'm not so sure what my take on them is... Oblivion was awesome graphics, and a pretty good game, but Legacy sucked balls graphic wise and gameplay wise.
I think is different teams in the same company
Not sure though.

And Oblivion, every game in the elder scrolls series is buggy, hell, morrowind was a small miracle for the amount of bugs and bethseda.
Yet, they make awesome games that are worth the bugs (unless you're one of the group that hate oblivion :P)
Fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Agret

Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Zencheetah I love you, why can't anyone else recognise Oblivion for the piece of crap that it is?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
Suite307

I feel sorry for you guys.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
Agret

Because we're fallout fans being screwed over by the disaster that is Bethesda? or because we have no faith in them? Could you be a bit more directional in your pity please.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
Streeteh

I've been waiting for a proper fallout sequel for years now (not fallout:tactics, that didnt count), after all that anticipation all i can say is... bugger.
Streeteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
luminous

am i the only person who liked fallout: tactics? :/
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Streeteh

No, i quite liked it, it just doesnt follow on from Fallout 1 + 2 and isnt really at all the same style of game so i wouldnt call it a sequel, more a spin-off.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
Decs
Retired FF Staff

I wish it wasnt a mmog D: Are there going to be any good single player games developed in the coming years? :\
HUGE fan of the fallout series myself but i really do wish we could see another singleplayer installment of the series.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
Streeteh

This confused me too, Beshittia ARE making a single player fallout.

Basically Bethesda have bought the Fallout name, and are beginning production of Fallout 3 - a singleplayer sequel to fallout 2.

Interplay sold the Fallout name to Bethesda but then purchased the rights from them to produce one title - which is a MMORPG based on the fallout world.

Best of both worlds, assuming Bethesda dont mess it up like i expect them to.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #17
Suite307

Yeah, Bethesda is shit because you friends think it's shit. I can relate to the same issue talking about Vista.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
Streeteh

I really don't see how slating a company responsible for one of the most flawed (yet highly rated, i would imagine mainly due to the graphics) mainstream games in recent history as "following my mates". Oblivion sported a sizeable collection of bugs, lackluster battle system, flawed leveling mechanics, very lacking storyline and 99% of the dungeons were randomly generated using exactly the same textures and enemies as every other dungeon - they just happened to get better kit as you got stronger. I nearly completed it, but then realised i wasnt enjoying myself at all, having to close up to 3 oblivion gates for 5 cities just to add a bit of length to the storyline? Most boring repetetive crap in history.

On the other hand, i like Vista.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #19
Suite307

Lower your standards or you'll be sad for the next 20 years.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
There is no reason to lower anyone's standards, Bethesda didn't have to turn the Elder Scrolls series into some shitty fast food version of what it used to be. If they had made Oblivion more like Morrowind it would have been an awesome game.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote