Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #41
o_r3ap3r

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Psst, Circ, the link I posted explains how to run steam games without an internet connection.
The Steam client application's files must be updated to allow for the use of Offline Mode - if your game's status is "100% - Ready" but you receive the message "This game cannot be started in Offline Mode" when attempting to play offline, the Steam client application's files need to be updated.

So read that and understand it. Files must be updated, and how do you update if not over the internet? "Exactly" I have internet and lost it once. I have mine set to not login each time but sometimes steam screws up and will ask you to login even if you have been playing in offline mode. Sooooo the system sucks. Man was I pissed when I couldnt play my games. If I pay $40 for a game I want to use it however I please and dont need them to make me login. Do you know of any other games out there like that, that are not made by steam, and with the exception of games that are intended for online use only. Also I paid 39.99 for EP1 so I guess I got ripped off if you paid $20. Thing is I like to buy my games in the stores. Its nice to own a hard copy of a game that you purchased.
o_r3ap3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 AM   #42
o_ghost

A. I didn't say it was a perfect system. I was replying to someone who was saying that they didn't know if you could even play it offline at all.

B. If you want to play the game however you want and connecting to the internet is such a problem then stop buying Valve games and contributing to steam. If enough people do this maybe things will change. However, it appears most people are fine with the way things are since HL2/CS/CSS is still emmensly popular.

C. You can back up the games you download onto CD using an option built into Steam. The games will "install" off those disks and have an auto start menu. You can also just backup the gcf's somepalce else and keep them so you don't have to download them again.

I'm quite happy with steam. When new popular games are about to be released they allow you to predownload most of the game. Then when it is actually released you just have to download a small part and you can start playing. I don't have to worry about losing the disks and throwing out the box I won't keep.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 AM   #43
o_ghost

A. I didn't say it was a perfect system. I was replying to someone who was saying that they didn't know if you could even play it offline at all.

B. If you want to play the game however you want and connecting to the internet is such a problem then stop buying Valve games and contributing to steam. If enough people do this maybe things will change. However, it appears most people are fine with the way things are since HL2/CS/CSS is still emmensly popular.

C. You can back up the games you download onto CD using an option built into Steam. The games will "install" off those disks and have an auto start menu. You can also just backup the gcf's somepalce else and keep them so you don't have to download them again.

I'm quite happy with steam. When new popular games are about to be released they allow you to predownload most of the game. Then when it is actually released you just have to download a small part and you can start playing. I don't have to worry about losing the disks and throwing out the box I won't keep.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #44
o_dragonjojo

o_dragonjojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #45
o_greenmarine

GAH!! Hurry up release the game already people can't even come here without flaming each other anymore.....
o_greenmarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 AM   #46
o_nezumi

Quote:
CS/CS:S are exclusively online games so that argument doesn't really make any sense.

I think steam not letting you play games offline under any circumstances is bullshit. That and the fact that hammer gets worse nearly every time they update it.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #47
o_ghost

No they are not exclusively online. They are exclusively multiplayer. You can still play CS/CS:S with a lot of people and no internet connection on LANs.

We also wouldn't have this problem if so many people didn't run pirated versions of HL/games in general. Yes it can be a pain in the ass sometimes but imo the benefits of Steam far outweigh the negatives.

Again, this is only my opinion. 99 times out of 100 I will have access to an internet connection to play games. The times when I will not have it (like going to LAN parties) I make sure everything is up to date before I leave and Steam starts up fine in offline mode.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #48
o_agret

Quote:
We also wouldn't have this problem if so many people didn't run pirated versions of HL/games in general. Yes it can be a pain in the ass sometimes but imo the benefits of Steam far outweigh the negatives.
You do realise there are programs that let you play the game directly from the GCF rather than having to use Steam, right? Steam just makes the end user endure this crap while the pirates have no issues playing offline. I know because I was at a LAN and my steam wouldn't work offline so I had to get the app off someone, not mentioning the name of the app as I don't know how ban hammer you guys are here Google it if you're having problems playing on a LAN though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
If you set it so you have to log in each time you use it, it will let you start in offline mode if no connection can be detected. It should, anyway. Haven't tried it lately.
When I start steam while at a LAN with no internet connection it'll sit at the connecting screen for about 5 minutes and then it'll either give me an error straight away or bring up a screen asking if i'd like to "Retry connection" or "Start in offline mode", clicking "Starting offline mode" immediately brings up a screen informing me that this option isn't avaliable while offline and that a connection to the steam servers couldn't be established. Really useful eh? Thanks Valve :P I've tried deleting my clientregistry.blob, reinstalling steam, reformatting, everything! Offline mode just hates me =( All my GCFs are 100% up to date and "Ready to play" but it still does this. Oh well, at least the pirates came through for me.
o_agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #49
o_norris

Steam friday news
I LEIK
o_norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #50
o_agret

Wow that sentry gun sure looks bad ass, but just like someone said on these forums...it has no camera!! How does it find targets?

Old 02-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #51
o_nuk3m

this crap kinda reminds me of the matirx how after 9/11 happened it took them a while to make the other episodes for whatever reason.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #52
o_agret

Nuk3m: uhh, what?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #53
o_nuk3m

sumthin about new york was in the film with the twin towers in the original sequel and like the producers lost money from the towers collapsing. keanu reeves invested like 20 million of his own money into finishing the trilogy
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #54
o_saberwolf

They delayed the first SpiderMan movie for that same reason. There was a clip where spiderman made a web inbetween the two towers and caught a get away helicopter in it.
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #55
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I thought the TF2 sentries were a bit much. Something you'd see mounted on the back of a half-track or Humvee. At least the level 2 and 3, I really liked their level 1.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #56
Boogieman117
FF Server Op / Beta Tester

Send a message via ICQ to Boogieman117 Send a message via AIM to Boogieman117 Send a message via MSN to Boogieman117 Send a message via Yahoo to Boogieman117
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_norris
Those SG's look horrid....

ANNNNNNNNNDDDDD.....

I think that the FF guns look and feel more like the TFC ones.
Boogieman117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #57
allisvoid
what is tfc?

im ready for both.
allisvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #58
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
did you see the last update about how there going to improve in game source communications?
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #59
IvaQuaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb
did you see the last update about how there going to improve in game source communications?
yes, also i have to say "at last" ! voice comms in source games sound horrible
IvaQuaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #60
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Yah, I was happy for that. Ingame voice comms suck bad. I think someone explained it was due to them using the Miles audio shit instead of whatever they had for TFC originally.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote