Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #81
o_yomamashouse

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
I meant to sound like a role-player who's disgusted with the games getting RPG labels lately, but okay I guess.
I have never given much thought to this until now but i agree with you. WOW and guild wars and such aren't really RPG's, they are third person farming machines.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #82
o_dancingfool

Rifle the baby murlock is also in Orgrimmar, let's not forget the Horde...anyways you know how the murlock guy mentions a large gathering? Well when people went to Blizzcon they were each given unique individual tickets with long and complicated ID numbers on them. Each of them only work once then that code is scratched from the database when it is used. You had to go to Blizzcon to get it, so you're pretty much out of luck unless you can find one on Ebay or something.

http://www.blizzcon.com/

YMH, they are not 3rd person farming machines unless the user decides to taint such wonderful games with the prospect of it!
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 03:01 AM   #83
o_df`

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamasHouse
I have never given much thought to this until now but i agree with you. WOW and guild wars and such aren't really RPG's, they are third person farming machines.
Eh, that's a bit of an oversimplification...not that I'm saying that I totally disagree with the argument that MMO players are just "cranking the black box" for treats.

There is definately that aspect, but it's really not that different from any other game. People who are uninitiated, and those who are but oppose the genre for some reason, forget that MMOs carry a social aspect that's missing in most other games, the persistent world where you can make some fantasy "achievements," and there are other people around to appreciate them. For many, this makes the "grind" worthwhile.

Indeed, what we refer to as "role playing games" these days really aren't that at all, but it applies just as much to the single player RPGs of the past 20 years as it does to MMOs...so you can add Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and friends to your list as well.
o_df` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 06:03 AM   #84
o_rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingFool
let's not forget the Horde
My highest horde is only lvl 19 or 18 hes a shaman. The shaman is on a russian server i think half of the people speak russian I can't find a group for anything. One day i saw on the fourms that the server was having free transfer's I was soooo pissed I missed it. He is on the server Warsong The only thing I went to orgrimmer for was RFC. I would of probaly taken the horde side but my friend threaten to the gank the hell out of me if I did. I had 4 friends playing on that server sizeablesonic and the other were 35 warrior 35 hunter and 60 preist and I
ROFL'd at this the 35 warrior and 60 preist were brother's, thier mom was a 60 hunter. The mom of them was addicted to WoW and would ground her kids if they didn't let her have a turn. The warrior is now 50 hunter is 60 and preist still 60. I beat the hunter to 60 and the two brother suck at lvling the warrior has been playing for a year now and it took the preist two years to get to 60 thier mom took 3 month's (same as me) and my other hunter friend took 5 or 6 month's.
o_rifle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #85
o_rifle

Behold the power of a GM http://youtube.com/watch?v=oMaTZFCLbq0

At about 6:30 in vid my guold has been thier useing hax and glitches lol.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #86
o_speed-king

Emulated servers mostly means disconnections etc etc etc , problems but when you finally get it going you can do anything , problem is theyre not over populated like the Live server

But i gotta admit he knew a lot , and im not sure but there must be some sort of helpfile for the gms on which command they have to type in to do different stuff . I'd love to explore those commands.

Maybe i should try one on my own , but my programming skills are minimal

Edit: Lols i found this one , aswell the future of warriors is setteled once TBC drops down;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z60-erywKVs

Last edited by o_speed-king; 12-29-2006 at 10:07 AM.
o_speed-king is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #87
o_lithium

Quote:
Yeah well i don't diss any stupid games you play , how about you leave us alone in our nerd storm.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #88
o_rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiuM
Yeah well i don't diss any stupid games you play , how about you leave us alone in our nerd storm.
I agree all you hater's out there probaly didn't have the minamal spec for your comp's and now you hate all games that you can't play.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #89
o_speed-king

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle
I agree all you hater's out there probaly didn't have the minamal spec for your comp's and now you hate all games that you can't play.
Lol .. Word

Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #90
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle
Actually I just found it really boring, not noticeably different from any other MMORPG I've played (all of which didn't cost me anything). I'd have as much fun (that is to say, none at all) playing the likes of Silk Road as I had playing WoW, because I know in the end that all there is to look forward is a chat room with mindless level-hoarding and bland PvP. I'm glad you enjoy it, and enjoy discussing it, but if you could only see how ridiculous you seem from the eyes of an outsider I doubt you'd keep at it so zealously.

To call WoW an RPG is a bit of a misnomer, but not entirely... you do, in a sense, play a role - be it in your guild, your party, whatever - but you don't PLAY the role in the sense the term originally meant. WoW is as much an RPG as, say, any given miniatures game.

Really my only problem with WoW is people claiming to be (or that actually are) addicted to it. That's seriously the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It's equivalent, in my mind, to being addicted to hitting your head against hard objects. What the hell, people?

Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #91
o_lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Actually I just found it really boring, not noticeably different from any other MMORPG I've played (all of which didn't cost me anything). I'd have as much fun (that is to say, none at all) playing the likes of Silk Road as I had playing WoW, because I know in the end that all there is to look forward is a chat room with mindless level-hoarding and bland PvP. I'm glad you enjoy it, and enjoy discussing it, but if you could only see how ridiculous you seem from the eyes of an outsider I doubt you'd keep at it so zealously.

To call WoW an RPG is a bit of a misnomer, but not entirely... you do, in a sense, play a role - be it in your guild, your party, whatever - but you don't PLAY the role in the sense the term originally meant. WoW is as much an RPG as, say, any given miniatures game.

Really my only problem with WoW is people claiming to be (or that actually are) addicted to it. That's seriously the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It's equivalent, in my mind, to being addicted to hitting your head against hard objects. What the hell, people?
If anyone cared what other people thought of them when they discussed about games , D&D would of been short lived , keep your opinion to yourself.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #92
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiuM
If anyone cared what other people thought of them when they discussed about games , D&D would of been short lived , keep your opinion to yourself.
YOU SEEM TO NOT UNDERSTAND THE INTERNET.

Also, D&D doesn't get discussed except amongst its players, and 99% of this is when no outsiders are around. Whereas I can traverse the hallway at school and hear at least five different discussions about whose Hunter is better, or what the group's next big raid will be, and more often than not they're also busy playing.

So yeah. Keep your game to yourself and I'll keep my opinions to myself. Until then, suck it up.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #93
o_speed-king

D&D ( Dungeons & Dragons ) Isnt that the game when all the kids Locked themselves up into a little room or a closet telling eachother a different version of a bedtime story , but it turned in different directions .

All of the fate of a pair of dices , depending how they roll you either get a nightmareish story or a heavenly , then it evolved to LARP . I'd love to see those games being lesser "addictive" than wow . Atleast you sit infront of eachother . A real plus.

i lol'd

But i wont do all but critisize you , many times i agree what you speak of .

Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 PM   #94
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I've never been to a game that was locked into a room, and only one person effectively tells the story, the rest react to it or give input. The dice don't (and shouldn't) control everything, LARPing is retarded, and I've never heard of anyone addicted to D&D, although I've seen some people do really stupid things because of it.

But yes, you've found the stereotype. Fortunately, D&D conversations tend to disprove it, as opposed to WoW ones which enforce it fairly strongly (see this thread for clarification).

Old 12-30-2006, 03:03 AM   #95
o_rifle

Circ have you played on the test reaml's as a lvl 60 or did you get the 10 day trial thing???

Old 12-30-2006, 03:44 AM   #96
o_yomamashouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
So yeah. Keep your game to yourself and I'll keep my opinions to myself. Until then, suck it up.
^What he said.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #97
o_speed-king

Quote:
^What he said.
Lol ... what are you still doing here then YoMama ?

Edit: My older cousins used to Play D&D They were so obsesed by it , that they made a criminal gang just for the tension of it , they broke into houses destroyed a helluva alot of modelplanes and other stuff in a local hangar .

Their actions were noted for , they stopped seeing eachother for a while , stopped D&D And had to do social time , till they all could repay 50.000 Euro's .

Any addiction can make ppl do strange things , Look at all the ppl LARPing / Cossplaying .... Makes me wonder , maybe the all have a hard time accepting who they are , and accepting this world , games became their salvation !

Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #98
o_etzell

Yeah, it's D&D's fault that your cousins are nutjobs. QUICK! Let's blame everything but the individuals responsible!
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #99
o_speed-king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Any addiction can make ppl do strange things , Look at all the ppl LARPing / Cossplaying .... Makes me wonder , maybe the all have a hard time accepting who they are , and accepting this world , games became their salvation !

Did you even bother to read that part ? and i didnt blame what the games did , rather more what the person decides to do .

Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #100
o_etzell

You blamed the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Edit: My older cousins used to Play D&D They were so obsesed by it , that they made a criminal gang just for the tension of it , they broke into houses destroyed a helluva alot of modelplanes and other stuff in a local hangar .
That quote of yours says that they were so obsessed with a game that the broke into houses and destroyed things. That's saying that the game was responsible for their actions, that if they hadn't been playing the game, they wouldn't have done these things.
As for your LARP/Cosplay comment, IMO, it's no different from anyone spending a lot of time gaming/playing sports/doing whatever. It's people doing what they want to do to unwind. Of course, since society looks down at it, it's seen as an impairment, rather than an outlet.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote