Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 12-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
o_dr zoidberg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Grapichs card

Im thinking of Upgrading my computer, I've got 3 ghz 1 gig ram and a radeaon x600 grapichs card, the card any good? :P i mean not decent but good.
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
o_sh4x

I dunno, you tell me. (You're the one with the card right now.)

I think it's funny when people ask if something they have is good or not.

YOU HAVE IT!! lol... try it maybe? If it doesn't work good for what you wanna do with it, then it's not good enough. Simple!
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
I dunno, you tell me. (You're the one with the card right now.)

I think it's funny when people ask if something they have is good or not.

YOU HAVE IT!! lol... try it maybe? If it doesn't work good for what you wanna do with it, then it's not good enough. Simple!
Yeah, there's a lot to that statement. Are you happy? If you are does it matter what some e-tough tool tells you on the net? If you're not happy then how much do you want to spend?
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
o_dr zoidberg

I dont know... i think i had something in my head that it was bad but i checked it out and i cant really say im not pleased
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
o_mooga

x600 or x1600?
Because I picked up the x1600 pro at best buy on black Friday for dirt cheap and love it

While you can't playsome up-to-date FPSs at full specs FEW people can unless you plan on dropping a SH*T LOAD on your comp.

My college has 20 Dell XPSs (10 recent, 10 not as recent) and all of them can handle anything thrown at them. The newer ones can safely do HL2 and CS:S fully speced.

Don't try to build the best computer ever unless you are willing to drop big bucks every few weeks for upgrades. If you want uber amazing graphics drop your money on 2 graphic cards and a physics card.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
o_sh4x

physics card haha... It's a big waste of money right now.

Quote from George Broussard from Duke Nukem Forever

"It's going to be a long long time before enough people have PPU's so that you can count on them being there, without having to put in low quality and high quality physics.

The problem is that you can't go nuts with physics when 1% of your market has a PPU.

Even with video cards, there is a fine line and people always opt to dumb the visuals down so they run on lower end cards. This always affects how high you can do on the high end, because you still have to scale to some reasonable low end.

We are just now starting to see games that will push high end visuals and start to abandon older cards.

But I think it's going to be a long time before you can do that for a physics card. So in the mean time you will have situations where people just do more rubble or debris, when there is a PPU available.

And I still don't see people spending $200 for a PPU like they do for a GPU. I think it will be a pretty small market, comparatively. But I hope it's the future and the PPU's move onto video cards or motherboards. That's what needs to happen for it to get widespread."
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
o_bubbles

I have an X600 aswell, and I'd say its just decent. Compared to my friends machine which is pretty much the same except he has a slower CPU, but x850, his machine performs quite a bit better.
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2006, 02:14 AM   #8
o_the russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg
Im thinking of Upgrading my computer, I've got 3 ghz 1 gig ram and a radeaon x600 grapichs card, the card any good? :P i mean not decent but good.
did you just win that card on woot.com's wootoff I posted ? hehehhe
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
o_bubbles

Go away spambot.
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
o_paft

I'm knowledgeable about hardware so don't think that me asking I am clueless, but If anybody has any recommendations feel free please. Makes choosing that little easier.

budget £100 ish mainly because I have a slimline machine with low psu power (240W) that cannot be replaced so nothing too extreme, but because of the budget I doubt that will be a issue anyway.

Checklist:
Budget £100 £120 max
Low power consumption (Power supply 240W)
Pci-e
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

A low power PS will severely limit your options. A richer graphics experience will be power hungry. You can see the video cards current load on the PS unit spike anywhere from 60 to 80 watts under load. When you consider that your CPU is already probably drawing 60-80 watts and then add RAM, hard drive, optical drives, fans and anything USB you may be looking at something that will crush your power supply. The general rule of thumb I use is to never load the system with more than 50% of the rating of the PSU. A PSU running near it's limit can put out dirty power which can damage anything and everything in your system.

So is your current card an actual add-in card or is it built in to the motherboard? That may be part of why you've gotten by with a low power PSU.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
o_paft

Yes that's the disappointing drawback. There is only 1 drive and HHD but for 240W all the components together will be using almost all of that leaving barely any extra power for anything else.

I have no current card only the standard onboard.

I'd just buy a new machine if money wasn't a option. But I will do at a later date.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
o_the russian

"PCI-E Graphics" and "Low Power Consumption" are not mixable terms. An ATX PS is easily transferable from PC to PC and its not like its going to get out-dated in the near future... so grab yourself a nice one now and transfer to a new PC at will later... I'd recomend in the 480-580 range. The higher, the more futureproof. I think 520 is a minimum if SLi is in your future what-so-ever...

Old 12-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
o_paft

Obviously I'd do that If it wasn't all unique to that case, and remember I do know what I'm talking about.

I have thought about transferring but because of the unique motherboard CPU fan those have to be replaced and this requires more dosh then I'm left with nonfunctioning spare comp...but I will have to make sacrifices I suppose.

The reason I asked is when you already have a beefy comp and wanting video card upgrade not much decision needs to be thought just buy the best you can afford. But this is a bugger.

Basically I've just decided I'm best off saving my penny's to build a newer machine using the existing components instead of wasting money on this.

Last edited by o_paft; 12-27-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Proprietary chassis's and power supply form factors are a drag. Yeah, I think your machine will live and die as it is. I think you will see some gain with an addin card as you should no longer be partitioning and using system RAM for video memory...though I can't recall off the top of my head if the ATI on board stuff uses unified memory architecture like the Intel chipsets or not. I think it does though.

You have a VERY fine line you're walking and you need to keep in mind that if you go a little overboard on power draw you're probably going to be dealing with a dead system. Unless you're ok with the risk I'd leave it alone and perhaps max out the RAM instead.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
o_paft

Actually I will just slap a cheap card in and be done with it for a while until I can fork out money for a whole new system.

What am I like.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #17
o_broodingdude

Grab another gigabyte of RAM, too.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #18
o_paft

Wtf Paft! Dreaming too much.... £100 card on 240W, No chance. More around £34 - £40.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #19
o_the russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
Obviously I'd do that If it wasn't all unique to that case, and remember I do know what I'm talking about.

I have thought about transferring but because of the unique motherboard CPU fan those have to be replaced and this requires more dosh then I'm left with nonfunctioning spare comp...but I will have to make sacrifices I suppose.

The reason I asked is when you already have a beefy comp and wanting video card upgrade not much decision needs to be thought just buy the best you can afford. But this is a bugger.

Basically I've just decided I'm best off saving my penny's to build a newer machine using the existing components instead of wasting money on this.
I agree... save up the pennies for a better rig, but for now you could pickup a cheapie on sale somewhere, or go to [H]ardForum and into their sales section, they usualy got users selling low end cards they cant use and barely anyone wants for the price of a meatball sub. (and if not, post a WTB Cheapie vid card post and you'll have 50 offers in one day) Be careful to research the power consumption of whatever card you grab up so that its close to what your card currently uses, happy hunting!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #20
o_infinitum

You don't need a 600W power supply you fools. An FX-60 with dual 8800GTS videocards draws 375W under load (that's the entire computer). Sure, you shouldn't buy a 400W for something that powerful, but you don't need a 600W power supply to power a 7900GT.
o_infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote