Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #21
o_bubbles

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I just paid a visit to a jolt and was soon called names for my superior skills
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #22
o_tyrus

I don't use any type of scripts. If you can't learn to do it regular, then you need to practice more.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #23
o_ivaqual

HowTo: Bunnyhop - The Editor's Cut

0. PROLOG

It's best to use the Soldier/Demoman/Medic class as the fastest or slowest ones will make it harder to distinguish speed variations.

1. THE HOPPING

1.1 What to do?

The most important thing about bunnyhopping is also the reason why it took more than a year for it to migrate to Half-Life : jumping as soon as you land.
The Quake-engine has the interesting/odd/great "feature" that, if you jump again as soon you touch the ground, you keep moving with exactly the same speed and direction, retaining any momentum you had before "bouncing" off the ground this way.

Exploiting this was easy in Quake, since you could just release and press your jump key again in midair, as this would make you perform another perfect hop.
In Half-Life, this was a little harder since you have to press the jump key the very instant you hit the ground.

1.2 How to do it?

There are two (three if you count the now banned and obsolete _special method) methods for this :

1) You bind not one but several jump commands on your jump key :

Code:
bind space "+jump; wait; -jump; wait; +jump; wait; -jump; +jump; wait; -jump; wait; +jump; wait; -jump"
This will action the jump command several times with small pauses between them (don't worry about te pauses), as soon as you press the space bar.

2) Binding the jump command to your mousewheel (mousewheelup or mousewheeldown), which can be then easily spammed several times per wheel roll.

Code:
bind mwheelup "+jump; wait; -jump; wait; +jump; wait; -jump"
This the method I prefer and I strongly suggest using it if you have a mousewheel.

1.3 How to practice it?

Load up a map with no slopes (dollhouse worked great but any place with enough room and without any slopes will be fine (e.g. Well yard), take a step forward, jump as you are running, release all movement keys and SPAM THE JUMPS AWAY !
If you correctly sent a jump command as soon as you were landing, you'll keep moving without losing any of your speed.
This is really one of the most important things there are about Bunny Hopping so you should really practice it until you're satisfied and feel comfortable advancing a comfortably long distance just by bunnyhopping. Remember : after the first jump, you mustn't press the forward key again ! This is for two reasons : the first one is you wouldn't be able to see if you are indeed jumping at the right time. You'll understand quick enough if you do it wrong : your movement will grind to a halt pretty quickly. The second reason is, if you press the forward key while touching the ground, this will actually prevent you from accelerating beyond the normal running speed.

In short : run forward, jump and release all movement keys Just put your left hand directly on the space bar, so you won't accidentally any. When you are landing (just the moment before you hit the ground), hit your specially designed (see point 1.2) jump key. If you do it well, you will keep moving forward.

2. THE SPEED

2.1 What to do?

Now that you know how to maintain your speed and momentum, we're up to gaining speed.
There are several ways to do this, here is the most common, that you can use in essentially any situation :

*start*
Move forward.
While moving, Jump and release the forward key.

*leftcurve*
Move your aim slowly and in a smooth way to your left while strafing left.
Just as you land from your previous jump, stop the mouse motion and release the strafe key. Jump again.

*rightcurve*
Move your aim slowly and in a smooth way to your right while strafing right.
Just as you land from your previous jump, stop the mouse motion and release the strafe key. Jump again.

2.2 How to do it?

Again, you need space to practice. A big round or bigger square room would be perfect (dollhouse anyone ? ).
Instead of alternating left and right (and therefore moving forward), you can experiment with the turning speed best if you simply do a large circle... large enough to move all the way over your mousepad. ^_^
When you feel like you are accelerating as you want to, you're all set for the alternation thing...
I can't give you any specific hints here, but I'll try to explain better if you give me specific questions (that's the problem when explaining something... I can't see the problems anymore, for me it's as plain as anything...)

3. ADDITIONS

3.1 MY FRIEND, THE (descending) SLOPE

If you land on a slope and do a hop, there are two possible effects (the effect is stronger the steeper the slope is, Openfire slope from Front Room to Canal is a great example) :
I) If you're on the descending way, you don't jump as high but gain a lot of speed
II) If you're on the ascending way, you lose a lot of speed but gain a lot of height (I heard of this effect being referred to as trimping before... but that's not the definition of trimping I know. For trimping you simply need to jump off the ascension without being in a bunnyhop (a running start on the slope).

In ETF's 2fort you can trimp (as medic or faster) from the lowest Ramp Room slope up to the elevator. I remember using ascending ramps in bunnyhops to gain height... arr, who am I kidding? I remember being pissed about losing speed >_< That's the reason why you won't ever see someone bunnyhop 2forts spiral up all the way...)

3.2 But I need to look even cooler! There's that girl I want to impress...

Don't use TF to impress girls! I tried it and failed miserably ^_^ But if you want to know more stuff, try this:

Instead of strafing left while looking left with your mouse - try strafing right! Tadaa, now you're hopping backwards... If that still isn't freaky enough use forward and backward instead of left and right... now you're hopping sideways... if this isn't freaky enough, you're freakier than me and deserve praise !

(this isn't perfect either but it should be better)
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 01:13 AM   #24
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Try wikipedia.org/wiki/bhop

Old 12-02-2006, 05:30 AM   #25
o_paft

Exactly circ that's what I was saying, people can/will/already have just look this up like anyone with a bit of sense. But if you feel the need to help? Then there's nothing wrong with that.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #26
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I just want the article to exist, really.

Also you guys seem overly wordy about it. No way should it take that much to explain something so simple.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #27
o_mrmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I just want the article to exist, really.

Also you guys seem overly wordy about it. No way should it take that much to explain something so simple.
run forward holding one strafe button and looking 45-30 degrees that way, jump, let go of forward, swing your mouse 45-30 degrees to the other strafe and hold down the other strafe, jump, swing your mouse 45-30 degrees to the other strafe and hold down other strafe

thats just barebones though
o_mrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #28
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I was thinking more like

1. jump
2. turn right while strafing right - do not hold forward - keep the motion smooth
3. at the peak of the jump, turn left while strafing left - you should "feel" the acceleration by now
4. jump just as you land (script if necessary, you pansy) - if you hear a landing sound, your timing was off
5. repeat from step 2

Even that's a bit wordy.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #29
o_mrmojo

its easy to learn on a low grav server or something so you can get the strafe changes smooth
o_mrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #30
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

True dat.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #31
o_aces

can you actually bhop?
o_aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #32
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Nope, I've never managed it. I'm a total loser and newb, who only resides here to rant nonsensically about whatever non-topic happens to enter my infantile mind. I am little more than snarky comeback fodder for you and your compatriots. I barely know what Team Fortress is.

For those of you who don't crop out once a month to make ridiculous comebacks: yes, I can bhop.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #33
o_drs

During our holidays at the beach, me and my brother thought that they were bunny hoping, to move faster, we were jumping like fools nerds near the sea. Lol. We were young.

This is my jumping script cheat :
Code:
alias "jumper" "+jump; wait; -jump; wait; +jump; wait; -jump; wait"
alias "supajump" "jumper; jumper"
bind "MOUSE2" "supajump"
After, move mouse to the left at a jump and strafe left, then at the right on the next, then at left, etc....
o_drs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 10:48 PM   #34
o_d3pth charge

According to Circ's method, you're supposed to do an "S" shape with each jump, while according to the OP's method, each jump is supposed to be half of the s. Which way is right?

I've been playing TFC for 7 years and read every damn bhop tutorial, watched the vids and I still can't do it. for some reason my bhop slows down and then i start going backwards instead... so I guess I can do it backwards. According to the OP, thats from doing the opposite strafe and look... but im not I'm doing strafe and look in the same direction.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #35
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

If you have time, do two curves, or even three. There's no right or wrong number of curves.

If you're slowing down, your jumping timing is off or you're turning too sharply.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #36
o_demasu

I had to learn by spec'ing someone while they bhop'ed, I couldn't figure out how to do it by any of the tutorials. So here's what you do, find someone who can bhop well, and ask them to show you how they do it while you spec them, that along with what you've read should be enough to get you bhop'ing with a little practice, at least that is if you're like me.
o_demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #37
o_nodnarb

some one showed me in the basement of 2fort, they said to move your mouse in a "v" shape though.
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #38
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Can't imagine how that would help, but okay.

The best test of jump timing is generally rock2. Start at one end of the yard and run along the path a bit, then start jumping. Release forward and jump the whole way. If you slow down, work on your timing. If you make it, you're on your way. Then just start the turn/strafe deal.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #39
o_drs

I have two websites, one died but in the "way back machine"

http://fidosrevenge.com/bhop/
http://web.archive.org/web/200505061...hell.com/bhop/

Hope it can help.
It's like juggle with concs, timing and practice...
o_drs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 11:56 PM   #40
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces
can you actually bhop?
its that really annoying twat again!