mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
dont do mornings? works for me

Old 10-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #23
o_paft

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I wish I were you I suffer from insomnia and get a average of 2-3 hours sleep a night, weekends I'm usually awake for 24 hours+. So suffering with that for 3 years turns/ed me into a blanked zombie with nothing but white noise in my head from morning till night. I don't work at the moment as I would probably collapse from exhaustion as I just don't have the energy to function at all really.

I cannot get into a regular sleeping routine I only sleep when my body cannot stay awake any longer so that can be at anytime. I do try to get up early and go to bed at a reasonable time and make sure I don't rest in bed during the day but it's no use I just don't fall asleep I'll be staring at the clock till 3am onwards and be awake again a few hours after. Ive been prescribed with sleeping tablets some months back but only 2weeks worth as the doctors say people get hooked to then or eventually they stop working, they didn't work for me anyway. Now on antidepressants.

It can be quite a serious illness the average person will take sleep for granted and not even think about it but it's ruining my life at the moment, the small number of hours I get a week is just not enough to live properly not fit to do anything I have no appetite either because all my body hunger's is sleep.

It's 1am now I don't want to head of to bed because I'll be fidgeting until the early hours of the morning but I'll have to force my self. Yet at the same time I yearn to curl up and go to sleep.

Last edited by o_paft; 10-26-2006 at 12:18 AM.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 AM   #24
o_dancingfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiuM
I wish you died.
You know you love it.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 12:32 AM   #25
o_zydell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theres *nothing* here
I've been having this thing now, for the past three years where I'd fall asleep really easily, no matter how much I've slept the day before.

It usually starts with my vision going kinda blurry. It is annoying, and it happens during class too. I'll fight to stay awake, but I only end up with a headache, and falling asleep anyways.
So I'm asking, what would be some good ways to stay awake? I've tried slapping myself, or jabbing myself with my pencil when it happens- but to no avail.

Caffeine drinks are good- I quite like Redbull, but the stuff is kinda expensive. Any home brewed methods availiable? Maybe super concentrated coffee with a 1/4 lb of sugar?

But that would probably gimme high blood pressure. I'm actually hoping to stray away from caffeine, because I'm still hoping to grow a few more inches.

Questions;
- Can you describe your normal sleeping pattern? Is it regular, for how long do you sleep, do you wake up inbetween, etc.etc.?
- When are you feeling tired; is it always? is there a relation between certain situations (for example really quiet/boring situations) and when you are feeling 'sleepy'?
- When you are tired, are you actually sleeping and for how long, can you describe it, does it differ from your normal sleep? (for example that you notice notice your surroundings but cannot move?)
- Did you ever notice that when you are laughing or are being angry or when someone makes you frighten or something else like that you find that your muscles loosen up/unstrain or whatever?
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 12:41 AM   #26
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
A good diet
Good exercise
Early nights.
'nuff said.. Again.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #27
o_dancingfool

Dr. Zydell,

I work out at least 2 hours every day. I drink any kind of alcohol imaginable on a level comparible to an angry Irishman when I am not at all Irish. I stay up until 1 am and get up at 7 am. I do not have life problems, I just love alcohol. Is this a healthy lifestyle?
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #28
o_bumgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
I wish I were you I suffer from insomnia and get a average of 2-3 hours sleep a night, weekends I'm usually awake for 24 hours+. So suffering with that for 3 years turns/ed me into a blanked zombie with nothing but white noise in my head from morning till night. I don't work at the moment as I would probably collapse from exhaustion as I just don't have the energy to function at all really.

I cannot get into a regular sleeping routine I only sleep when my body cannot stay awake any longer so that can be at anytime. I do try to get up early and go to bed at a reasonable time and make sure I don't rest in bed during the day but it's no use I just don't fall asleep I'll be staring at the clock till 3am onwards and be awake again a few hours after. Ive been prescribed with sleeping tablets some months back but only 2weeks worth as the doctors say people get hooked to then or eventually they stop working, they didn't work for me anyway. Now on antidepressants.

It can be quite a serious illness the average person will take sleep for granted and not even think about it but it's ruining my life at the moment, the small number of hours I get a week is just not enough to live properly not fit to do anything I have no appetite either because all my body hunger's is sleep.

It's 1am now I don't want to head of to bed because I'll be fidgeting until the early hours of the morning but I'll have to force my self. Yet at the same time I yearn to curl up and go to sleep.
Seriously, i would reccomend you try the weed. I work shifts and I find it can help regulate my sleeping, ie come home at 3am, smoke a fat one, go to bed and be grand for getting up at 8. I used to do this regularly but i dont have to work so much these days.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 02:53 AM   #29
o_abjure

Drink bleach.
o_abjure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 AM   #30
o_loader

Get a gay guy (or Darkness) to come round and stay with you. That way you will never fall asleep!
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #31
o_the russian

I allso have mild insomnia, Its 2 am and I cant sleep... when I do go, I fidget for about an hour or two and then doze off... I sleep till quite late though, I wake up near 3:00pm on days I dont have work, my body just doesnt want to get up... my whole sleep regulation is out of wack... like that time I flew to denver, I couldnt tell if i was sleepy or gassy from the jetlag... kept debating, should I be sleeping on the plane?
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #32
o_zydell

Well there are some simpe measures that can be taken when you are suffering from (mild) insomnia:
  • encourage regular habits and exercise
  • discourage over-indulgence in tobacco, caffein, and alcohol (especially before sleep)
  • encourage a aregular pattern of going to bed
  • avoid daytime sleep
  • advice on relaxation techniques for use if awake at night
But in some cases insomnia is caused by a psychiatric or physical condition which of course should be treated first. Besides that, it is important to know that not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep, some need 5 some need 10. If you for example sleep 5 hours a night and have absolutely no complains over day then there's not much wrong is there?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #33
o_drtom

modafinil
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #34
o_zydell

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom
modafinil
medication comes last, we dont even have a diagnose or indication!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #35
o_drtom

modafinil is ace though!

but yeah in all seriousness just go to your doctor, this is the kind of thing they are there for
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #36
o_leandros

Get a brain activity sensor and connect it to a slapping machine when it sees you going into R.E.M. and you're good to go!
o_leandros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #37
o_caesium

self harm
crack
paranoid personality disorder

and yes, I am a doctor.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #38
o_kam

You have diabetes.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #39
o_the russian

dont say that shit... everyone in my fam has diabetes except me so far... however I think I would know it if I had it, as I have no problem with any kind of sugar levels. I spoke to the doc about this a few months ago for the first time ever, he said to take over-the-counter sleepd aids and when I fidget for a couple hours to clench all my muscles and then release, and repeat again and again till my body stops wanting to fidget. It isnt working, sleep meds seem to have no effect on me what-so-ever...
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #40
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
Well there are some simpe measures that can be taken when you are suffering from (mild) insomnia:
  • encourage regular habits and exercise
  • discourage over-indulgence in tobacco, caffein, and alcohol (especially before sleep)
  • encourage a aregular pattern of going to bed
  • avoid daytime sleep
  • advice on relaxation techniques for use if awake at night
But in some cases insomnia is caused by a psychiatric or physical condition which of course should be treated first. Besides that, it is important to know that not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep, some need 5 some need 10. If you for example sleep 5 hours a night and have absolutely no complains over day then there's not much wrong is there?
Which one of you jerks hacked Zydells account? Helpful AND coherent?
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote