Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #21
o_nezumi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Getting ragdolls to line up on everyone's computer isn't really a problem (I may be wrong) but you can't realistically send all that information over a network fast enough. That's the bottleneck.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #22
o_shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by magz
omfg. The perfect job?
I gotta say, there aint a lot I would change.

Sure, you got the occasional 12+ hour days and you got your Crystal Reports, but hey, I'm not complaining

Mini ravioli, Mountain Dew, and TFC: It's what's for lunch!

Now if they can just get FF wrapped up and released soon...
o_shade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #23
o_[o-t] scuzzy

I'm not sure I understand why Ragdoll's is a problem for this. The dead bodies in Hidden are all ragdoll and carried around as an eating item, everyone can see him carry them away, etc. I'm not fighting for feigning, just trying to understand the problem... so what if they're in weird positions....

Scuzzy
o_[o-t] scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #24
o_roadrun

Scuzzy - the problem is that the ragdolls motion (or rather position on floor in FF's case) is calculated locally on each client computer - so they are different for all computers. How do you make a clean-looking getting-up-animation that works for every possible position the ragdolls are in?
o_roadrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #25
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You could just make him get up instantly. I doubt anyone would care.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #26
o_roadrun

True, I wouldnt.
o_roadrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #27
o_scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis
You play TFC at work?

I wanna work where you work!
My intern rocks boss only at the office on friday, gives me shit to do which i do in 1 or 2 days so i have 2 days to play tfc / css / watch movies etc

And hes even paying me
o_scale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #28
o_badguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrun
True, I wouldnt.
Me neither, with animation blending it doesn't really matter anyway
o_badguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #29
o_soundchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade

Still, I am gonna miss building a SG on top of a feigned Spy >:- )
that is hilarious!!! thanks for the idea.
o_soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #30
o_shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser
that is hilarious!!! thanks for the idea.
No problem, I am sure whomever you use this on will appreciate it as much as my friend did >:- )

Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #31
o_[o-t] scuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrun
Scuzzy - the problem is that the ragdolls motion (or rather position on floor in FF's case) is calculated locally on each client computer - so they are different for all computers. How do you make a clean-looking getting-up-animation that works for every possible position the ragdolls are in?
Thanks, I understand now. I'd agree though with the others, having him instantly assume a standard "laying on the floor" position and then getting up from that wouldn't be that weird. He'd flash into that laying position but it'd be just as realistic has a scout walking away from getting hit with a rocket while on fire.

Scuzzy
o_[o-t] scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #32
o_shade

Agreed. I usually use Feign when no one is watching me anyway, because the guys I play with wont buy me feigning mid-combat no matter how much I scream or toss up bags

I also like the ever-popular 'stab the guy, feign, and disguise myself as him' trick Only takes a few time before everyone is running around and shooting ever fucking corpse on the map, it is friggen hilarious *laugh!*

Every now and then I will think I am alone and feign, only to have one of the other guys come stand on me and slowly beat me to death with a crow bar. Bastards.

So I am all for an instant-down / instant-up Feign

Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #33
o_ghost

That's only part of the problem though. The other part is that dead bodies don't always appear in the same spot. You can see this in any multiplayer source based game with ragdolls. If you can, play some CSS on a lan. Kill someone and go look at where the body is from 2 different computers. There's a pretty good chance they won't be in the same spot due to how the ragdoll fell on each computer.

The only way for feigning to be possible is if a method can be developed to keep the spy's ragdoll synced on every computer and not cause the server to lag. To my knowledge this has been the problem that the devs have been facing and they haven't released any other info about it since.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #34
o_shade

I did catch that earlier, but forgot to ask what the challenge is with that. Is it that the rag doll ends up somewhere other than where the spy token is, and therefore you would have someone standing on a rag doll and shooting it but not actually hitting the spy?

Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #35
o_ghost

That could be one thing that might happen. You can see that now in CSS. It can look like I'm shooting a dead body in the head and a dead person looking at my first person view might see me shooting the ground next to the dead body since the position of the dead body is different on both computers.

I guess from that the devs were saying before having the server sync up the spy ragdoll would cause the server to lag due to the amount of data it needs to push to all of the clients. That's the reason why ragdolls are generated on each client separately so the server doesn't need to worry about it.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #36
o_shade

Right, I had caught that too. I just hadn't thought about anyone trying to shoot a corpse, which is kind of funny given how often I get shot while feigning

Ahh, well, guess I will go back to playing Medic then. One can only have so much fun making HWG drown by sleeping them in underwater tunnels.