Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #21
o_bumgravy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Open hammer. A room, anything doesnt matter. Change camera view to 3d Flatshaded. Thats what you see in the pictures above.

If, which i doubt, this is the look your going for, ie flat shaded geometry, a kinda Tron look, then fair enough. If u want to make an immersive environment which isnt the inside of an 80s computer game, i would advise using actual textures. Ones with texture.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #22
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Argh! Donny those blue/grey textures are the textures he was asking about. Asking if they look good, would it be good to continue a theme based around these textures and so on. Learn to read people's posts.
Genious! Seems like someone needs to learn to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
Open hammer. A room, anything doesnt matter. Change camera view to 3d Flatshaded. Thats what you see in the pictures above.
Indeed, doesnt look textured at all when they are simple like that.
Anyway if you are going to keep the textures like that, everything else would look very off place (playermodels and anything that isnt on the map already).

But heck it's your map, you can build a giant vagina for what I care.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #23
o_imbrifer

Haha, vaginas are cool.

Anyway.. Yeah, you'll probably have to do some more sexy texturing than that. While it does have a theme and such (though it may be elementary) people won't want to play it because its so simple and not-FF-ish.

But I really like the design for the entrance, with the cap point right there. I hope there are other entrances, though, because that would be too easy to defend.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #24
o_player

I don't know where to start with you, Donny...

EDIT: Owner, when you can, update us
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #25
o_own3r

LAYOUT

SPAWN AREA ENTERENCE [On Left]

FLAG ROOM

MAIN HALL

This is still work in progress but i welcome your comment
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #26
o_kam

this one is nice http://www.ashu39.dsl.pipex.com/ctf/spawn%20area1.jpg
but you're mixing too many styles together (gothicish arches then curvey arches and a q3 lookin fr? park bench?)

it's also too dark to see much of the layout
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #27
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Except for the flag room it's all pretty bland.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #28
o_imbrifer

Quite an improvement, well done. As kam said, it seems like you are mixing too many styles. While shots 2 and 4 go together well, the third shot (of the flagroom) seems out of place. I would also recommend adding some more dimension to the ceiling and floor in shot 2, and changing the door texture to fit the more 'mideval' feel of the rest of the place. Good selection of colors and lighting - they are complimentary - but I'd suggest changing the light fixtures. You might consider opening the base up to the sky a bit more, and/or adding some more architecture to the rooms - Maybe some more fitting furniture, some counters, dimension at the bottom of walls, etc.

You have some definite progress, so keep up the good work!

..and Circ, I know you can give a better reply than that :P
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #29
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Fine. It looks like a bunch of pictures of an old building from a sandy region, stood up and taped together onto a black "floor" like you'd use for a diorama at school. It's very low-tech in its design, a lot of boxiness with little variation. The high-quality lighting and high-res textures just make it more obvious. The floor in screenshot two might as well be perfectly flat water.

The ramp room, however, has variation in its texture and enough stuff "going on" that you don't just feel like you're in an overly-tall void. It's got some character to it that doesn't relies on an elegant sort of simplicity. Lighting aside I like the ramp room very much, and if you could work that theme into the rest of it you'd have a winner.

There.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 AM   #30
o_racer

Man i love the gothic sections and think for TFC style it has plenty of detail. I would like more detail but Ive left TFC for years now for more detailed games like BF2 and Hostile Intent.

I would add more detail liek trash cans and bookcases maybe make the flag room a gothic library. Add some gargolyes to the entrance stanchions. I only played that one TFC map that was goth style (had the church and command points). It was tight.
Good job so far dont give up!
I think the 2 styles mixed has been covered.
o_racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #31
o_own3r

Thankyou very much for your input everyone, some ideas to improve:

Replace displacement arches with normal gothic arches

Remove lighting fixtures, experiment with medievil looking ones fire lit torches maybe?

Add wooden roof supports and make the ceiling triangular where it is at the moment flag like in shot 2.

Remove benches

Add some decals maybe cracks and such, brocken floor with opening to outside with grass growing inside?

Add some sort of detail to the lower sections of the walls

Find a new floor texture

Update the flag room with the same architectural style as the rest of the level

Im not really sure besides removing the curving sections what to do with the flag room, i guess ill have to do some more searching on google images for some inspiration.

One possibility would be to raise the whole room on to the same level as the flag and introduce hallways (inaccessable) which lead off the flag room and are similar to shot 4. some sort of balcony with gothic arches would be nice too.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote