Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #21
o_billdoor

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
We don't have the TFC source, and I'm not familiar enough with the FPU to be able to make much sense of disassembly that involves a lot of vector maths.
o_billdoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #22
o_comrade tiki

I just got a theory. The delay between a level 3's shooting is simply the target's life flashing before their eyes, but they are still able to run away when a level 2 spots them, so it seems like a shorter delay. Either that, or Level 3's like to play with their targets by creating a dramatic pause before firing.
o_comrade tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #23
o_salo

lol I like that.. maybe lock times are the same, lvl 3 just takes a split-second to take the piss out of you, then blows your head off..

seriously tho, no matter what the data is, the impression DOES seem to be that level2 locks quicker. But SGs are dodgy anyway.. sometimes they hit fuck all, sometimes they shoot you instantly even though they've logged on a player who was just there at the same spot right before you.

anyway, level2 locking faster has always been a tactic with Euro Tfc, very funny if it all turns out to have been a wrong assumption >_<
o_salo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 AM   #24
o_vanquish

Yeah I remember that post. They had diagrams and everything showing the lock on distance, the time it took to rotate and lock on and everything. The Level 3 sentry was identicle in everything except the lock-on distance in that it could lock on to targets that were farther behind it than the level 2. It's a common myth that everyone seems to be ignorant of.

I would attempt to find the post but I'm at work and the catacombs forums are blocked here.
o_vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 12:45 AM   #25
o_sobe green

I think I remember that post. But it was on the old cats wasn't it? If so...you won't be finding it now.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 12:48 AM   #26
o_flyingcow

if they are the same... my only explanation is that the level 2 sg is smaller, effecively making it appear to rotate faster.
o_flyingcow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #27
o_xstioph

So.. Anyone... Please feel free to explain why level 2 totally woops scout and medics asses... While they just run past level 3....
o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #28
o_donny

Well I have played TFC for some time and I have not seen any diffrences betveen 2 and 3. lvl 1 was weaker, that was only thing I noticed

As the Devs said the lock time is same
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #29
o_killacockney

Hmmmm, I always thought of it that as the guns increased in level and damage, they decreased in speed of rotation (don't know about lock on time).

As a scout, I always feared level 2s because they'd be onto my ass double-time if I wasn't careful.

Level1s were quick but i was usually alive when I got past them, and level 3s just made me laugh, quick strafe round with crowbar if I wanted to, and it's gone.

thats the way I always remember it anyway??
o_killacockney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 04:28 PM   #30
o_deep-six

Engineer SG's

I would like to see a menu for level 1 sg upgrade to level 2, Often enough you find yourself wanting a level 2 sg only. It would be nice if it required a shift menu key to unlock it to a level 3.

On another note it might be interesting if you can make the SG's movable up to 10 or 15 feet. Away from the place they were built. (Terrets)
o_deep-six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 04:34 PM   #31
o_telroa

I don't really know if there is a difference in the lock on speed I think maybe they both are about the same. But I think it takes the level 3 sg an extra half second to shoot. I almost always play a medic and I would rather see a level 3 sg than a level 2. I tend to just run past level 3 ignoring them level 2 tend to kill me if i try that. Also I have some fun using my crowbar to kill level 3 sgs I've never managed to do that to a level 2. There is also the possibility that I have no idea what I'm saying
o_telroa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #32
o_4est

About 1.5 years ago I joined a new 9v9 team and when building an L2 on Monkey they all asked me why. One of the members had looked at the code and said the lock times were the same. So, we tested it on Monkey. The sg was built over the ladder opposite the flag. A med would enter from one top opening, grab the flag and exit the other top opening. EVERY TIME the L3 killed the med faster. I was stunned.

Splash damage from a back wall rocket hit really works in some cases. Plus, an L3 is harder to kill. However, if you are getting set up with a disp, armor/ammo to other D's and need to get more packs yourself. An L2 makes a huge diff in setup time. I would much rather have an L2, disp and have plenty of metal than just an L3.
o_4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #33
o_vanquish

I also like seeing a level 3 sg over a level 2, simply because the hitboxes are larger on the level 3 making them easier to hit. They may be stronger, but if you're conced and trying to nail gun a level 2 to death you'll miss more than you will against a level 3.
o_vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #34
o_three_gunn

in the heat of a battle...worrying about keeping an SG at lvl2 would drive me insane. if in fact it does lock faster at lvl2...by all means would be a positive thing...helping you get the sg up in the first place. it would play as an excellent suppressing fire while gathering up the metal and ammo to eventually get it up to its more effective lvl 3...and as someone mentioned earlier harder to take down. (what the hell was my point...) ah...SG's are cool.
o_three_gunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #35
o_flare

always seemed like the level 2 sg starts firing as soon as it locks onto you, while the level 3 has a slight firing delay, thus making it seem slower. but i could just be imagining it.
o_flare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #36
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I think it's just the sound effect rather than the actual firing.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #37
o_binarylife

This is my interpritation of what goes on.

The level 2 and the Level 3 both lock on to you at the same time, exatly, no delays, no nothing. But the level 2 immidiatley fires it's guns at whoever's sorry enoug to have crossed it's path. While the Level 3 fires a rocket immidiately, and then fires it's guns. That rocket gets sent on it's way before the guns start going, so when you hear it lock on, you've got a chance to duck behind a wall and avoid the rocket.

I haven't directly tested this, you'd have to use the Level 2 as a control group, and then, when building the level 3, put only 50% ammo in it and test away.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #38
o_sobe green

I think the rocket gets fired after the gun shoots for about a second or two.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote