Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-13-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
o_rp

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Garry's MOD to be sold through STEAM.

Quote:
Garry’s Mod, the Source-powered physics sandbox famed across the games industry, is to be sold over Steam for $10 US (convert), with profits split evenly between Garry and his team of contributors and Valve. What is currently known as version 9.1 will lose its number and become the initial paid release, while the current version (9.04) will remain as a free demo. The sanctioned selling of full, third-party mods is new territory for the games industry, and with no sign of Black Cat’s Alien Swarm: Infested it seems that Garry’s Mod will be the first to cross the line.
Click here to read more.
o_rp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
o_sizeablessonic

Icant belive Garry is going to sell his mod, thats a nice way to thank the community who supported him.
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
o_general levy

what did you do apart from use his software?

gently fan him while he sunbathed on a tropical island, always ready with a top-up for his pina colada?
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
o_ginger lord

Problem is unlike any other game you pay for, you just arse around in Garrys Mod. I don't wan't to pay $10 to have the privlege of sticking two characters together in a very laggy server whilst racing melons.

But its good hes getting rewarded.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
o_puppychow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeableSSonic
Icant belive Garry is going to sell his mod, thats a nice way to thank the community who supported him.
dont you mean that garry supported the community? Garry MADE the community. There would be no community without him.

Good for Garry. I have no prob with this whatsoever. And if you cant afford 10 bucks, then you need to be working anyways and not playing video games.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
o_tennovan

I think this is going to make a lot of people mad though simply because they have to pay for something that's been free for so long.

I'd compare it to FF being released, having a decently large community and then a year+- down the road, they make me pay for it. I'd be slightly upset too. I guess I'm just the "pay now instead of later" type of guy. People get used to free things and get mad when its taken away.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
o_puppychow

but Tenn, he didnt even know back then he had a quality product to sell. it started as an experiment and took off from there. people will bitch but do they even consider what they have been enjoying for free for so long? sesnse of entitlement.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #8
o_frenchtoast

Whatever, I still have my free version.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #9
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
but Tenn, he didnt even know back then he had a quality product to sell. it started as an experiment and took off from there. people will bitch but do they even consider what they have been enjoying for free for so long? sesnse of entitlement.
Oh I totally understand what you're saying. And if I were in his position, I'd probably do the same thing but as a player, I am trying to see it from their eyes. Players SHOULD be upset, but then should fork over the cash to support the mod and its developer(s).
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 03:47 AM   #10
o_captain_cadaver

Personally I think Gary is a douche and Im not surprised he sold it.
o_captain_cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #11
o_jinx

so... how much are they going to charge for FF?

I'm sorry, but modding should not be about making money.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #12
o_nezumi

I kinda agree with Tennovan. He was working on it for so long without expecting to be compensated for it, I think it's lame for him to start selling it once he realizes a lot of people will fork over the cash.

I wouln't complain one bit if it either costed money from the start or he planned to start selling it later from the begining of development. Maybe the second case is true but I doubt it.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 07:11 AM   #13
o_mescalito

I'm not an expert to the subject but here's what i think about it atm.
See, most of the mods rely on the community itself in the prosses of making something succsessful. Peeps help you out and support you b'couse they know you do it in your free time. And so on.. Then when you "sell" it out it's like you betray the community, unless it was expected.

Don't think there's no profit for the mod team if there's no money from it. Besides the spiritual shit you get from it (sutisfaction, making you proud etc..), you allso get something practical out of it. Experience. + you can look at it as a gateway. You can add it to your resume + showing it off as a Uni progect etc..
So yeah this is why no metter what you say i think it's lame. Still though, each case and his own..
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #14
o_ivaqual

Hahaha, so not surprising of Garry.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
o_d3pth charge

It's despicable, and people need to stop saying "Oh, well he spent tons of time on it so why are you bitching about him charging?"

I have no problem with teams charging for their products. I have a problem with douche bags EXPLICITLY PROMISING their fans that they would NEVER charge for their product, and then turning about-face, lying to them and charging.

Either have the fucking cajones to say you will charge at some point from the start, or follow through with your fucking promises. Not that I care, I can't be fucked to even download the free version of that "game", much less PAY for it. I honestly don't even see what the attraction is, looks like a waste of time to me.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #16
o_voipme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
Problem is unlike any other game you pay for, you just arse around in Garrys Mod. I don't wan't to pay $10 to have the privlege of sticking two characters together in a very laggy server whilst racing melons.
I think I've spent a total of an hour messing around in Garry's mod - cause that's all it is. Messing around. I'm hoping that there are some really significant changes from version 9.04 -> 9.1. Otherwise, people will simply keep the old version for free instead of paying $10 for the extra model or ability to turn characters into Stretch Armstrong.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #17
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
what a fucking sellout. valve just saw it as a really good moneyspinner, proposed the offer, and the douchebag just went for it.

fucking sellout.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

He built it; he has the right to sell it. Yes, it's questionable in some regards, but ultimately Garry is responsible for building & maintaining gmod pretty much by himself (in terms of doing the actual work). If I was in his position, you bet your bollocks I'd do the same thing. It's a completely different ballgame for 'regular' mods though, as you have a much more delicate situation regarding contributors. With gmod, garry can pick and choose what he includes/pays for.

If he has said in the past that he'd never sell it, then yes it is pretty off. However, I don't really see the point in moaning at someone for selling something they themselves are largely responsible for.

However, I can see the legitimate gripes of people who have supported garry and then still have to pay for something they've supported with time & money. I've never been at ease with modders taking donations unless the donations are needed for hosting or other costs incurred with the making of the mod (mods are meant to be non-profit under the license so IMO donators should never be given privileges above regular punters) and situations like this one just further reinforce this. If you bug test and contribute to a mod for ages and then the mod goes retail, it must leave a bad taste in the mouth for some.

I've always been interested in seeing how this pans out (3rd party mods being sold by valve) and the way in which it'd work. I assumed it'd work in a similar fashion to HL where the mods go retail, but remain free to those already owning the game on which the mod is based. It seems this is not the case for HL2 which is very disappointing. It's just valve cranking up the money-making machine I guess.. To me, that's more questionable than garry's decision to sell his own mod.

It must be terribly galling for studios when they pay big money for a source license and have huge overheads etc., then they see someone modding the engine and selling their mod in an opportunist fashion... It's cool for the 'indie' devs, but it must be pretty irritating if you're a proper developer and see this going on.

Last edited by Defrag; 04-14-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #19
o_ambex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord

But its good hes getting rewarded.
Valve is allways the 1 one to buy.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
MrBeefy
Retired FF Staff

To the point mentioned earlier about still having the free copy: that's one of the main things I don't like about Steam. Steam can shut down your free copy, as they can control the updating.
MrBeefy is offline   Reply With Quote