Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
m1cky

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Will FF have any chance against Team Fortress 2 after TF2 release?

what do you think about it?

I am a former TFC player and i cant wait until release of ANY of team fortress games. But what will happen with FF if TF2 is released? I think all the TFC players will rush on it and forget about FF, so me too i guess
The graphics of TF2 are extreme funny and amazing, what i've seen in the TF2 trailer is just impressive. So i think all the people which begin playing TF2 will be lost for the FF community.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
the two games are not exactly similar there are a lot of things that actually seperate them, in most cases people will be playing them both. ill probably play both.

keep in mind TF2 doesnt have grenades. and the only CTF map is 2fort other then that the rest are seperate game types. some deathmatch some CTF. mainly deathmatch*

*from waht i have heard and read about.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

TF2 is a ploy by Valve to stick their hand into the console market and make increasingly more money. TF2 reflects nothing of what past Fortress games are. It is simply a bridge for Valve to cross into consoles. The game play of TF2 will be a completely different monster than FF. FF will focus on the original idea of what a Fortress game is...CTF, A/D, Command Point maps. The creators of TF2 I think have tried to simplify the game so once again, it can translate better over to consoles and Xbox Live and that mess. The simplification alone is enough to turn me off. I plan on trying it, but don't plan on playing very much of it. Odds are, if you like Pixar animated movies, you'll play TF2.

I for one don't plan on playing with 12 year old prepubescent smart asses.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
m1cky

omg no grens and deathmatch as main game mode?
I would call this as "the heaviest rape of tfc" ever

btw. pls move this thread to the tf2 general discussion forum. I see it is wrong here...

Last edited by m1cky; 07-10-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
2 things:

1.) there is no "tf2 discussion forum" here...

2.) look up on your screen, see the search button? use it..this question/discussion is asked/started far to often. tf2 is going to blow get over it, dont even waste time discussing it.

i have spoken...
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
BobTheChainsaw

It all depends on how good TF2 is. If TF2 turns out to be terrible, then FF is going to have a pretty good chance. If TF2 is like "omg sex" then FF prolly won't be able to up much of a fight.
BobTheChainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
This is new, never seen this discussed before.

Last edited by Paft; 07-10-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
C-Aim
Better than Never

The answer we all want to be true is that FF will be just as popular if not more popular (I especially wish that). The fact of the matter is that it won't be unless the devs can put out the game they want months before TF2. Valve is going to stuff TF2 ads down the throats of every single Steam user pretty much daily but FF won't be getting that kind of press. The FF community will really have to go out there and run a huge web campaign to gain a large following.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
m1cky

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Aim
The answer we all want to be true is that FF will be just as popular if not more popular (I especially wish that). The fact of the matter is that it won't be unless the devs can put out the game they want months before TF2. Valve is going to stuff TF2 ads down the throats of every single Steam user pretty much daily but FF won't be getting that kind of press. The FF community will really have to go out there and run a huge web campaign to gain a large following.
my opinion. The question is what the makers of FF want to do with their game. Is it for few hardcore TFC fans or is it for the broad mass of gamers. I think the last is essential for a multiplayer game.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
StrickNine

Rutabeggar. Good job on overexaggerating how different tf2 is to past tf games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar
TF2 reflects nothing of what past Fortress games are.
How is that? It has the same nine classes, mostly the same weapons, and some of the same old school maps.

Quote:
It is simply a bridge for Valve to cross into consoles
Is it not possible that maybe some of the things in tfc that made it a great game simultaneously killed it? Such as bunny hopping. Some people will just never get that shit. Maybe Valve took a real good look at their previous game, and thought about how to refine it even more.

Also Valve has been in console land before. Half Life was released on the ps2, and 2 was released on xbox.

Quote:
Odds are, if you like Pixar animated movies, you'll play TF2.
I don't like pixar movies, and I will be playing tf2.

Quote:
I for one don't plan on playing with 12 year old prepubescent smart asses.
What game are you going to play that doesn't have those? There's a thread in the general discussion by scuzzy about how some people kept crashing his server. That sounds like something a 12 year old would do, and this is happening on a TFC server, a 6 year old game. So TF2 will have all the young bastard mongoloids? How the FUCK do you come to that conclusion?
StrickNine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Isn't TFC like 8 years old, not 6? d:

FF and TF2 will be two entirely different beasts.

Remember that it is not just up to how good the games are, it is also the community and leagues.

Community and league stuff that killed the game IMO:

League:

-No O vs. O and other stupid rules; discourages free-form play for pretty much no good reason

Community:

-BHOP/movement modding plugins (not gonna be a problem in FF)
-Rules that banned BHOP (not a plugin, but a rule; will hurt the game)
-Servers with weak communities and jackass admins
-Lack of represenation for the different communites; most servers are "24/7 2fort/dustbowl/well" etc., with other favorite notably missing altogether.
-Lack of good community sites for customization and learning stuff (lots of sites up and coming that will pwn this issue, and FF's main site will presumably be doin' this stuff as well)

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
C-Aim
Better than Never

You ever play a match where there was rampant OvO?... Worst matches ever even at the lower rungs of play where I used to clan. I can imagine how shitty it is in the upper levels where you enter a base with half health and the defense is actually organized and accurate. I don't think you can blame Leagues to the downfall of TFC.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #13
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I have encountered some silly-assed rules in league play, though....

Couldn't toss nail nades at your front door, cuz the nails went into the yard.......WTF?!?!

Flag is on the door leading into the yard...so you have to let it go(no yard-D)..... Come on now!!!

I really didn't mind the No OvO rule...at least they couldn't bitch about not having full health when I killed their asses.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheChainsaw
It all depends on how good TF2 is. If TF2 turns out to be terrible, then FF is going to have a pretty good chance. If TF2 is like "omg sex" then FF prolly won't be able to up much of a fight.

is TF2 is like "omg sex"

lol
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

I'll try TF2 if someone buys me it lol, but other than that I don't plan on it. I really do not like the look, it looks to cartoony to me.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrickNine
Rutabeggar. Good job on overexaggerating how different tf2 is to past tf games.

I may have overexaggerated, but the fact of the matter is they have to dumb down a game that has morphed into what it is today so that everyone gets a chance to play. It's a marketing ploy, if they showed what we in the FF have been asking for (bunny hopping, grenades, etc.) They couldn't market it on the consoles like they can TF2. The fact of the matter is, at least no way I can see, theres no way you could bunnyhop with a console controller and shoot at the same time, All valve has done is dumbed it down so they can tap into the market of the console. It's not dumb, hell i'd make the same move too if i was running a company, I just disagree with dumbing down a game and changing it so much from the original. Grenades (concing especially), bunnyhopping, CTF all of those elements is what made TFC what is was and still is.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

In any case...I'll try and play both...just don't like what Valve is doing/has done to the TFC community in the past, boning us for Counter-Strike turned me off.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Aim
You ever play a match where there was rampant OvO?... Worst matches ever even at the lower rungs of play where I used to clan. I can imagine how shitty it is in the upper levels where you enter a base with half health and the defense is actually organized and accurate. I don't think you can blame Leagues to the downfall of TFC.
Yeah, but see, that is assuming that it is a 2 O 3 D setup or someshit.

I mean, honestly, if you had free for all league play, you would have shit like 5 Engies building Sgs to defend their base and overrunning the enemy D. You would never see that kinda shit in leagues because it squashes competitive play.

Think about it. Each side has 5 players. You should be able to manage those 5 players and play any way you like (minus cheating, of course) to win the game. By having a no O v O rule, league has degraded to 2 Scouts/Meds on O, Solly/Hw/Demo D, etc., all that kind of shit. There is such a lack of creativity in league play in this respect.

Look at pubs with like 8v8 (16 max players). Somehow, the flag still manages to be capped, despite rampant OvO, spawn camping, whatever. It all falls to the individual skill of the players and teamwork overcoming the enemy's skill and teamwork, and IMO league play hampers that.

Plus, would you join a league in a game which is so amazingly creative and freeform that has rules like "You can't do this, you can't do that" etc.? Fuck if I ever would, that ruins the beauty that is Team Fortress.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
darksoul
D&A Member

stop trying to argue, you're making yourself look silly
darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #20
zippy
rainbow flying high

I think all the old skool tfc peeps will play FF more than new comers.... i think most of the peeps who will play tf2 will be newbies to tfc/hl2
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote