Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
o_puppychow

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I NEED PROMPT AND FRIENDLY TECH SUPPORT!

Hi.

Ok, my IDE drive is my master. Just got a fixed SATA drive back from WD...I just plugged in my power and SATA connector to the SATA driuve thinking it would appear upon boot up, but to no avail. I also tried putting the jumper to master setting on the IDE, but no dice - it doesnt appear. C is my primarry (IDE) D is my DVD rom and they both appear - I'm looking for "F" for my sata to be there but I got nuttin.

weird thing about it is tho is that i got the little icon in the system tray for when u insert a flash drive and you can "safely remove hardware". It's showing my specs for the HD.

just missing sata drivers or something?
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
o_puppychow

mobo : GA-K8N-SLi
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
o_lithium

IDE + SATA = NONO. It's either one or the other.
That's what i got with my dad's computer. Figured it out when i tried to find out if any of the HDs were defective.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
o_loader

I have 2 IDE and 1 SATA.. Doesn't make a difference.

Unplug your IDE and plug in your SATA only, does it pick it up then?
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 02:36 AM   #5
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The master slave settings do not cross between PATA and SATA. Does your drive appear in the BIOS? If so right click on My Computer and click MANAGE. Once the console is open go to drive mgmt. Does your drive appear there? If so is it partitioned and formatted?
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
o_lobo

Do you have two controllers? I would think that you would have an IDE and an SATA. They would be seperate and it shouldn´t matter if your IDE is master.

Does the SATA get detected by your bios? Try to see if you can set it as a boot up device. Does it shows up in that list?

Also I guess your using windows since you´re talking about drive letters. I think you should look in control panel-> adminstrative settings -> computer management-> storage -> disk management. You can see your disks there and you might just need to partition and format it. I´m not running windows so I´m not sure if thats where the settings are.

edit: Yea, what innoc said.
o_lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
o_coalesce

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo
Do you have two controllers? I would think that you would have an IDE and an SATA. They would be seperate and it shouldn´t matter if your IDE is master.

Does the SATA get detected by your bios? Try to see if you can set it as a boot up device. Does it shows up in that list?

Also I guess your using windows since you´re talking about drive letters. I think you should look in control panel-> adminstrative settings -> computer management-> storage -> disk management. You can see your disks there and you might just need to partition and format it. I´m not running windows so I´m not sure if thats where the settings are.

edit: Yea, what innoc said.
it is right click my computer then manage then under storage (click the plus) and click disk management and it should be there... i had the same problem but with two ide drives... it found one but not the other and after i went into my disk management and formatted it, then it showed under my computer... also happens i think with drive size... ive had 70 gb of a 200 gb hd show up and the other 130 gb showed up under disk management as a different partition and had to be formatted... i was running win xp pro if that helps you any... it think this my be your case
o_coalesce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
o_psycnet

WD SATA drives need to have drivers installed. The PC will recognize the drive but it's unusable until windows knows HOW to use it. This is primarily in the case of SATAII drives.

Install the WD Data Lifeguard Tools off of their website. It should work then.

And WTF? not using SATA and PATA drives together? Are you fuckign nuts? They work fine if your hardware doesn't suck.

AND REMEMBER! If you are running it in SATAII (300 transfer as opposed to 150) mode, DONT PUT JUMPERS ON IT!
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 AM   #9
o_sh4x

Uh, yeah.

HDs need to be formatted for you to use them.

And having both SATA and PATA drives in a system doesn't cause any problem. Don't listen to lithium.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 03:54 AM   #10
o_sobe green

If your motherboard has SATA drivers it'll help that they are installed too. Windows will be able to mount the sata drive with the WD drivers but it is an added plus to have the mobo drivers installed. Not all motherboards have drivers for sata so if there isn't any listed don't bother with it.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
WD SATA drives need to have drivers installed.
wow you're right! my striped raptors have been deceiving me all this time! damn those driver faking platters!

as for PATA/SATA mixes, how on earth do you think optical drives work? i'm yet to see a SATA optical drive on the market